Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default All-New Wolverine 35 Recap/Review

The issue begins with a flash-forward, as Laura lies dying in Gabby's arms, before flipping back to the aftermath of Hill's death. Laura and her team resolve to press on, and refuse to bury Hill while Latveria is still under Doom's control.

Their plan is a simple one: Laura, Jan, and Carol will get Doom's attention. Jan will then helpe Gabby and Hawkeye see to the prisoners. With that sorted, Carol and Jan fly Laura directly into the throne room. However something is out of sorts, and Laura notes that so far things are too easy. Carol gets blasted from the side, and Doom appears, explaining that he WANTED her there all along. Doom remembers her, having hired her from the Facility in the past, and expresses disappointment that she's no longer the killer she once was. Laura retorts that she's changed, and takes hold of Mjolnir to make her point....except it doesn't budge (Gabby, watching from the shadows, laments how awesome it would have been had it worked). She brushes it off as Doom tries to monologue, and Laura unceremoniously beheads him. But surprise! It's actually a Doombot (because of course).

The REAL, aged and dying Doom emerges as more of his bots grab hold of Laura. Doom reveals he knows why Laura has come, because it's all just one big trap. HE was the one who ensured Kamala's intelligence people picked up Bellona's trail, and even ran guns to Madripoor to get Laura's attention. Because his body is dying, and he wants HERS. He jacks into Laura's brain in an attempt to overwrite her consciousness with his own.

Meanwhile, Gabby, Waspbot, and Hawkeye proceed to Doom's dungeon, picking up Carol again on their way. They locate the dungeon with Wasp's help, revealing a number of prisoners: Rocket, Thor, Miles, (Female!) Captain America, and Daredevil. And of course, Bell, looking as spiky as she was during EotS.

Back in the throne room, Doom attempts to hijack Laura's body. But the joke's on him: Laura has been in agony all this time as her genetic code breaks down, and Doom is overwhelmed. She pretty much laughs in his face, and enjoys the karma after all the pain he has inflicted on others. Doom tries to flee back to his body, and Laura mockingly warns him he shouldn't have done that. Turns out she had already given his own body a foot-claw to the gut while he was in her head. Doom dies, and the rest of her team and the rescued heroes arrive in the throne room. Laura collapses in Gabby's arms, content that their job is done. But Gabby has none of it, however, and insists they WILL fix her, promising Laura will get to be something better than she was.

I think the best way to describe this issue is...anticlimactic. It just seemed way too easy, and so long as Taylor was playing with an alternate future, he could have played around more with characters' fates than he did. IE, after the last issue made a point of establishing Jan would be torn apart if she tried to return to normal size, I fully expected that to pay off here, where she had to do it as a heroic sacrifice. And I think the bitter-sweet ending of letting Laura die would have been much more effective than Gabby pretty much neutralizing her failing body by sheer force of upbeat will.

Also, I'm thoroughly disappointed there wasn't a snap-back to the main 'verse for a "Patrick Duffy In The Shower" moment with Hellion. So the tease in Part 1 remains just that: A tease and nothing more. It's just getting cruel at this point. :-P

The Mjolnir moment was good for a laugh, though. While it might have been cool to see Laura actually lift the hammer, I think it probably would have been TOO obvious for her to succeed, so the subversion was well done.

Ultimately, while I enjoyed the first two parts of the story, the ending just felt a little empty. One of the main criticisms we've all seen repeated on the board is Taylor's tendency to play it safe, and that certainly came into effect here. With an AU to play with, there was a lot more he could have done. Utopia doesn't mean no sacrifice, and there could have been much more poignancy had some of Laura's companions other than Hill given their lives to save the others.

So while it's something of a let down to end on, I'm still going to miss this book.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Pull List
    All-New Wolverine / X-23 Domino X-Men Red

Mighty Member

I feel like this was meant to be 4 issues, but was cut to three cause Logan and fresh star. It was good over all. I'll miss this

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I assume Captain America was Ms America Chavez.
    I thought danielle cage.

Well that was interesting. I agree it should of been longer but at the same time I don't want filler.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

This fell flat...I think maybe Taylor got rushed to end by Marvel and this arc suffered for it. All the cameos detracted from the arc. This could have been a great way to set up new Laura stories with some time travel shenanigans at the end but eh.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

You know, that’s the second time that this series could have used a little bit of a social time at the end of the story only for it not to. First time was Enemy of the State II where it would’ve been great to see Laura’s reunion with her Aunt and cousin and them meeting Gabby and then now. With them having saved Bellona after so many years, it would’ve been nice to see some moments between the sisters rather than just a couple lines of dialogue. Also we never see Gabby’s family this making the dialogue at the start of the story feel a bit pointless. It ends up feeling like we only got a very superficial view of this future that an entire story took place in.

There was SOOO much potential in this arc, its just a shame they didn't give Tom the time to use it
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

So Taylor and Gabby's two sons didn't show up?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know, that’s the second time that this series could have used a little bit of a social time at the end of the story only for it not to. First time was Enemy of the State II where it would’ve been great to see Laura’s reunion with her Aunt and cousin and them meeting Gabby and then now. With them having saved Bellona after so many years, it would’ve been nice to see some moments between the sisters rather than just a couple lines of dialogue. Also we never see Gabby’s family this making the dialogue at the start of the story feel a bit pointless. It ends up feeling like we only got a very superficial view of this future that an entire story took place in.
    I agree one of the main points of this story and of this last trip of Laura before supposedly to die was to save her sister and in the end we do not even have a touching scene with the two. Kind of like Gold's special wedding a lot of useless scenes from Kitty's flashbacks of the past and during the party she only really interacts with Rogue and Callisto .

Half disappointing but deserves some credit for having a happy ending and a universe where the heroes won.

The part with the hammer was funny .

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    No they did not - so why even mention them?

Agreed with what was said above. Ending fell flat. Rushed, anticlimactic, all this build up to save Bellona and no heartfelt scene with Gabby and Laura. There’s a lot of ways Tom could’ve ended this, and he ended up going with the least impactful. I would’ve preferred a more emotionally charged ending, which even in the issue allotment he had he could’ve done. Maybe he should’ve let Laura die in Bellona and Gabby’s arms, satisfied that she saved her family. Let her remember all the happy moments in her life or something. Instead Gabby insists they’ll fix her, Everyone leaves just fine (except Hill) Blah Blah. Lame ending to an arc that started out promising.

Not in the least. Nor did we get any confirmation of the gender of her spouse. Kinda ended up being a throw away line.

idk that was ummmmm something. in better news, Tamaki KILLED it with her HfW tie-in. I can't wait for X-2333333333!

So Tom Taylor and Gabby's two sons didn't show up?
    oop.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Not in the least. Nor did we get any confirmation of the gender of her spouse. Kinda ended up being a throw away line.
    Yeah didn't Tom Taylor say that that whole "Gabby might have a crush on another girl" thing would come up again here? I, didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah didn't Tom Taylor say that that whole "Gabby might have a crush on another girl" thing would come up again here? I, didn't.
    He said it would be "explored." Which I guess technically it was, but only in a very, VERY minimalist sense.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Pull List
    All-New Wolverine / X-23 Domino X-Men Red