View Poll Results: Batman or Superman?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like Batman, don't like/ indifferent towards Superman.

9 9.57%
  • I like Superman, don't like/ indifferent towards Batman.

9 9.57%
  • I like both but Batman is better.

25 26.60%
  • I like both but Superman is better.

27 28.72%
  • Both characters are equally great.

24 25.53%
  • Both characters stink.

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Couldn't vote, as there was no spot for my kind of answer: I find Batman's stories through the decades have been 'better' stories, more engaging, more dramatic; but as a character, I prefer Superman, at least as portrayed a good long while ago, as a modestly heroic kind of man.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Jack Staff, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Rat Queens, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Usagi, Velvet

Amazing Member

I really enjoy batman more but not for batman himself but for his bat family and villians. In the few Superman stories I have read I just can't get into his cast though I am trying. Scarecrow is with out a doubt the best bat villians and I love when bats goes against him.
    Favorite teams. Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

Superman. I love epic sci-fi/fantasy stuff.

Batman makes for better cartoons and live-action stuff though.

Spectacular Member

Superman, no contest for me. Never has been. Ever since I saw Christopher Reeve playing him on screen, it's sparked my sense of wonder and imagination in a way that no other superhero has been able to do. And that's what heroes are supposed to do. They inspire you to believe in the greater good, and to strive to be better than you are. No one does that better than Superman.

This doesn't mean that Batman isn't great, too. He is. But when the chips are down, you look to the guy who, when he shows up, he makes you believe everything is going to be ok, no matter how stacked the odds are against you. Batman isn't that guy. Superman is. He's the guy who makes other heroes want to be better. This is what edges him out over Batman, imo.

I love comics and from that I love comic book characters, but of the many I love there is only
    three that I love absolutely BATMAN...SUPERMAN....WONDER WOMAN

Batman, I hate Superman!
    "Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    "
    -The Doors

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I really enjoy batman more but not for batman himself but for his bat family and villians. In the few Superman stories I have read I just can't get into his cast though I am trying.
    Agreed. I also find Superman's villains to be uninteresting for some reason.

I like both, though I would prefer Superman's powers and abilities.
    I've seen your end and it starts with you challenging me.

Even though Batman and Robin (the first) have always been my favorites, I've always favored team books and that means that I loved JLA growing up but also that I loved World's Finest, which most often featured Superman, Batman, and Robin. And they were my three favorites, largely for those WF comics.

For so many years I would have voted "love them both equally" because I pretty much did. But from DKR onward, Batman has had a richer history and felt more important to me personally. So I voted "love both but Batman's better."

Right up until the CoIE era (1985) I would have voted them equal favorites but since then both characters have played to type bordering on stereotype: Batman, a dark loner; Superman: a bright Boy Scout.

I'll never identify with a hero with a supportive, happy family life that always does the right thing as much as I will a child of trauma and loss that crosses lines because of a fundamental hole in his heart.

The so often repeated parallels/opposing fundamentals between the characters since DKR portrayed each character as a mythical version of himself (though obviously with an anti-Superman bias) have hammered this home so many times that Superman has become a hero I love reading about but not one with whom I identify. His life hasn't been without tragedy but it's largely been ideal and he has largely felt complete because he accepts and is lifted up by the love of those around him. So I like him but I can't identify with him. Batman, in a modern context, has been defined in the opposite so I don't like that I identify with him but I do.

That's had me reading about 10 times as many Batman stories in adulthood as Superman ones and not just because there are so many more of them, but because I identify with one of them and the other is like the family-friendly 1950s and 60s TV shows like "Father Knows Best" or "Leave it to Beaver" or "The Brady Bunch." Those shows portrayed happy families that only ever loved each other and made anyone that wasn't in that sort of a family feel alienated from society somehow though almost no one had a family experience as idealized as in those shows.

I never saw myself or my family in those shows and as they became more sophisticated I no longer saw myself in Superman stories anymore either except maybe as Luthor. Batman on the other hand has evolved with me somehow. I almost never fail to identify with him when he's well written by virtually anyone.

Hence I love them both but Batman's "better."

Astonishing Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I came dangerously close to voting Superman, but ended up voting both because I know a couple of months ago I was in a different mood and I have too much love for both.

I think readers who dislike or don't appreciate either one should respect the best of the character and not judge them on what they're lazily reduced to. "Batgod" and "Boyscout" are, to me, perversions of what makes these characters great. Yes, Batman's intelligence and grit is impressive considering he has no powers; don't let that become lost on you because of a story where he checkmates the entire Justice League via prep time. Yes, Superman is an eternally optimistic hero who never lets his power corrupt him; don't think that he makes "good" become a stupid or hollow concept just because he once or twice took orders from Washington. Dig deeper and you discover what makes them great. Batman being full of pain and acquiring what is (almost) within reach for us everyday humans teaches us what lengths we go to in constructing ourselves and what the consequences are. Superman is a manifestation of what we are and hope to be at our best; we fly, we travel through space, become stronger, faster, pay tribute to our ancestors, sacrifice for others, and always look to a better tomorrow.

Embrace and explore what they are. Don't forsake them for seeming too familiar. Rather embrace what they might tell us about ourselves.

Also, this is a side note, but I feel it's appropriate here. I know it's considered impolite and intellectually dishonest to simply assume a non-fan of a character doesn't "get" them, but I frankly think that far too many people don't get Superman, or at least underestimate his depth. Most of the time the argument circles back to characters needing dramatic flaws to be relateable or interesting. Marvel characters are usually examples. But the more I think about it, the more I find that giving a character a large standout flaw can reduce the character to that weakness and limit their growth by taking a "short-cut" to emotional development. It's almost too easy to say X character is an alcoholic or Y figure is permanently disfigured or Z character is cursed by their powers; these are often obvious and simplistic struggles. They don't leave as much room for layered reflection, exploration, and imagination. Which is why I think Superman is so interesting.

What would it be like to be Superman on a daily basis? How much does he old back his emotions and physical expression living in our world? How much of himself misses, resents, embraces, and carries his Kryptonian heritage? How much of the farmboy survives, and how much was there to begin with? What kind of choices does he make with regards to public perception and government? Are they the same as mine would be? What makes him sad, and on how many different levels does he think of and relate to other humans? When, what, and why does the man eat?! The questions go on and on and on. Being able to ask character questions that lead to more and more questions makes for a thematically rich, interesting, and fertile character. This, along with a simple beautiful concept of the most powerful man being the goodest of all, is a big reason Superman has persisted.

Standing Member

The idea that some super-heroes are relatable is flawed. Most of us are not super-heroes, so we have to make an imaginative leap to identify with super-heroes. Itís fun to imagine ourselves as super-heroes.

I suppose the relatable bit is that some super-heroes are like us in some way. Superman is Clark Kent. Iím like Clark Kent and I feel like I could be Superman, but other people donít see that. So I relate to Superman.

Iím not Bruce Wayne. I would love to have all that money and if I did, I would spend it on toys but Iíd also use it to help people.

Where I differ on Batman is in how DC completely changed the character. Some change, for the times, is acceptable. But Batman became a completely different guy from the one I knew. If you grew up with that new character, it makes sense you love him. But I miss the old one. Thankfully heís still around, just not in the mainstream comic books.