Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's a cold, hard reboot. No sexes were changed, they are all brandnew characters with old names.
    I'll never understand that.

The people who are impressed by the old names want to see those characters, not new ones. The people who want to see new characters don't care about the old names, if they even know them.

The show looks good. The main character feels horribly generic.

Tom was a good looking man, but he wasn't a traditionally good looking one. The loud Hawaiian shirts, the bushy mustache, and the ball caps gave him a look that was all his own. Plus he lacks Tom's good natured charm and award winning smile.

Grown tired of all the remakes, especially of old tv shows. The script writers, actors, directors are being paid very well to be creative...... So be creative.

Rebel that Rebels BeastieRunner's Avatar

I went to sleep a gun under my pillow because of this show.

They only thing left for sacred reboots is Back to the Future now ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I'll never understand that.

The people who are impressed by the old names want to see those characters, not new ones. The people who want to see new characters don't care about the old names, if they even know them.
    It's the Age Of Apocalypse/Elseworlds appeal: the familiar yet different.

The original characters are never going to be in the reboot, and some of them including John Hillerman have sadly passed on.

The moment Magnum is not being played by Tom Selleck you've already changed so much that making Higgins female doesn't even matter anymore.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ActionAveDude View Post
    Grown tired of all the remakes, especially of old tv shows. The script writers, actors, directors are being paid very well to be creative...... So be creative.
    (In the mind of production executives) No. The script writers, actors, directors are being paid very well to generate viewers. So, we aren't going to fund anything we don't think already has a built-in draw to it.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    (In the mind of production executives) No. The script writers, actors, directors are being paid very well to generate viewers. So, we aren't going to fund anything we don't think already has a built-in draw to it.
    This provokes a question in my mind for the media savvy among us: Do show creators/initial producers sometimes get a project up, cash out, and leave it with others?

I always blame the purse-string holders for being unwilling to try anything that doesn't have a reasonable forecast they can project. But then I think about real estate development, where companies will come in, get something started, promoting it as sure to be great (regardless of whether it will or not), then cash out to investors and be long gone before the actual outcomes are known. Are some of these reboot projects pretty much that?

Incredible Member

Not entirely keen on this. It will likely do well ratings wise, but the original was a perfect storm that doesn't happen very often. We had a lead who had natural charm and oozed charisma. However it was the chemistry between the four actors (Magnum, Higgins, Rick and T.C) that contributed to the show working as well as it did. It is going to be very hard to recapture that again. We shall see. Although I am glad they are opting to do their own thing, instead of trying to replicate the original. That includes ditching the moustache and Hawaiian shirts since those are associated more with Selleck.

I'm wondering if there will be a crossover with Hawaii 5-0. I'm hoping it's the same universe. They mentioned 5-0 in the clip but that doesn't mean it's the same people.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    But we're talking about a show that went off the air 30 years ago. Only the oldest members of the 18-49 demo remember it, and those people remember Tom Selleck, John Hillerman, etc. So I'm not sure what the built-in draw is for the audience they're trying to attract.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    But we're talking about a show that went off the air 30 years ago. Only the oldest members of the 18-49 demo remember it, and those people remember Tom Selleck, John Hillerman, etc. So I'm not sure what the built-in draw is for the audience they're trying to attract.
    (In the mind of the production executives). I'll be fine. It's a brand.

I think this could work. It has action, scenery, witty parts and the music along with the standard car chases. I don't mind that they changed Higgins into a woman. She seems to make it work.

I will give it a try!