Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54
  1. #16
    Fantastic Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    Guess what I wasn't raised on a farm,but I love meat,and I'm old enough to know that animals are killed for it,but still eat it,shouldn't I be "mature" and evolved enough just like Superman should have?
    Lol. What kind of dime store psychology did you pull that from? No, you don't have to have the same evolution as Superman. Nobody has to have the same arc as another person -- that's what makes us individuals. The same line of logic applies when thinking about how you thought about anything in your childhood vs. adulthood. Some things remain, others morph and evolve.

    It's perfectly fine if you like meat, btw. Out of curiosity, why does this issue feel personal to you?

  2. #17
    Spectacular Member Trunks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Yes, you should be.

    Lmao ok.


    Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Lol. What kind of dime store psychology did you pull that from? No, you don't have to have the same evolution as Superman. Nobody has to have the same arc as another person -- that's what makes us individuals. The same line of logic applies when thinking about how you thought about anything in your childhood vs. adulthood. Some things remain, others morph and evolve.

    It's perfectly fine if you like meat, btw. Out of curiosity, why does this issue feel personal to you?
    If we all green up eating meat,but now we are all older and wiser supposedly,then shouldn't we all be held to the same standard? It is a simple question,and it's 1 you don't have to ponder forever to come to it.

  3. #18
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,856

    Default

    I'm with those saying it didn't stick simply because the tale in which this was a thing for Clark never made it into canon for long. Birthright as a whole just didn't take. I wouldn't care if they ever tried to go back to it in a current continuity though. I think if they tried and commit to it, it'd take just fine. But on the other hand I don't really care if they don't ever want to do that, either. I find absolutely nothing wrong with the concept of a veggie Superman while at the same time have absolutely zero issues with a Superman who consumes meat.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-18-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  4. #19
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,997

    Default

    I see no reason at all why Superman would consume animal products.

    The idea that Superman has to be locked into this Midwestern value system because he was raised there makes me sad. People change, especially super-people.

    Superman has wrestled tyrant angels, he's a long way from the farm.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-18-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  5. #20
    Spectacular Member Trunks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I see no reason at all why Superman would consume animal products.

    The idea that Superman has to be locked into this Midwestern value system because he was raised there makes me sad. People change, especially super-people.

    Superman has wrestled tyrant angels, he's a long way from the farm.

    So Midwestern means caveman to you? And the Kent's and every other good person still eating meat are barbarians?

  6. #21
    Chosen One Carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    17,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    Lmao ok.
    Well, you set that one up so perfectly.

    Personally I'm not a vegetarian, but I can easily see how Superman would be one.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

  7. #22
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,664

    Default

    Itís why characters often smoked in the past and still have a drink in their hand nowadays. Writers give the characters some business to do in a scene so they arenít just standing around with their hands in their pockets. Itís easy to build a scene around people having dinner. And if the writer/artist eats meat dishes, then thatís likely whatís in the scene. But if it was a vegetarian creating the same scene, maybe the characters would consume something different. You write what you know.

  8. #23
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    So Midwestern means caveman to you? And the Kent's and every other good person still eating meat are barbarians?
    I'm not sure where you're getting that from, but alright. Yeah, to a being like Superman, a lot of things would be strange. He's a highly advanced Kryptonian.

    I don't personally eat meat, but I wouldn't call someone who does a "barbarian". It is just something I think can be 100% done without.

    I think Superman would be a solar battery who can get by on wonderful veggies. It just suits the character. Like how Aquaman shouldn't eat seafood. I'm not saying Batman needs to be a vegan.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-18-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  9. #24
    Amazing Member RudHao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Because in a world where something like "The Green" exists behind all plant life it's a dumb as hell to say that eating animals ls wrong but eating plants is a ok. Ask Swamp Thing how he feels about that, it would give Poison Ivy a good reason to ch o after Supes if they went that route though....
    Last edited by RudHao; 05-18-2018 at 12:37 PM.

  10. #25
    Spectacular Member Trunks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, you set that one up so perfectly.

    Personally I'm not a vegetarian, but I can easily see how Superman would be one.
    If you say so,opinions differ.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'm not sure where you're getting that from, but alright. Yeah, to a being like Superman, a lot of things would be strange. He's a highly advanced Kryptonian.

    I don't personally eat meat, but I wouldn't call someone who does a "barbarian". It is just something I think can be 100% done without.

    I think Superman would be a solar battery who can get by on wonderful veggies. It just suits the character. Like how Aquaman shouldn't eat seafood. I'm not saying Batman needs to be a vegan.
    He is a kryptonian,but he was raisied completely on Earth with a awesome set of common Sense parents,so no he isn't going to look at stuff he spent his whole life thinking is normal in some weird alien way.

    You and I agree that he should be a solar battery PERIOD.


    Quote Originally Posted by RudHao View Post
    Because in a world where something like "The Green" exists behind all plant life it's a dumb as hell to say that eating animals ls wrong but eating plants is a ok. Ask Swamp Thing how he feels about that, it would give Poison Ivy a good reason to ch o after Supes if they went that route though....

    Exaclty,in the DCU plants have just as much "feeling" as animals do,so the double standard needs to stop.

  11. #26

    Default

    Four words...Beef Bourguignon with Ketchup...

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,611

    Default

    Because after a hard day of saving the world the man just wants to eat a burger and chill like 95% of people are want to do.

  13. #28
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    283

    Default

    While I can see why some people might peg Clark Kent as a vegetarian (and I certainly understand your reasoning for doing so).....it has never quite felt right to me.

    I guess, in part, because there is a sort of strange privilege around being vegan that frankly I think Clark would be aware of.

    Veganism is something that is often expensive and not at all available to people of a lower socio economic class level. There is a reason you have to go to an expensive place like Whole Foods to get vegan products---because it's something often only available regularly to the very rich. For people from a lower class, you don't get the nutrients and vitamins you need without being able to eat meat.

    Clark Kent grows up not just on a farm but also in a small town where people are likely struggling financially. He is likely very aware of the financial realities of veganism and the way that can impact the poor. For that reason, I've just never associated him with being a vegan. I think he would absolutely be against animal cruelty and likely, as a farm kid, have a lot of strong opinions about the way animals are raised and treated. But I don't think he would reject the idea of people eating animals.

  14. #29
    Fantastic Member RepHope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Probably because other writers either didn’t agree with Waid or the readers rejected it. If you put it out there you have to set it in stone because while it’s not changing the core of Supes, it will clash with the “All-American Boy” people see him as.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    While I can see why some people might peg Clark Kent as a vegetarian (and I certainly understand your reasoning for doing so).....it has never quite felt right to me.

    I guess, in part, because there is a sort of strange privilege around being vegan that frankly I think Clark would be aware of.

    Veganism is something that is often expensive and not at all available to people of a lower socio economic class level. There is a reason you have to go to an expensive place like Whole Foods to get vegan products---because it's something often only available regularly to the very rich. For people from a lower class, you don't get the nutrients and vitamins you need without being able to eat meat.

    Clark Kent grows up not just on a farm but also in a small town where people are likely struggling financially. He is likely very aware of the financial realities of veganism and the way that can impact the poor. For that reason, I've just never associated him with being a vegan. I think he would absolutely be against animal cruelty and likely, as a farm kid, have a lot of strong opinions about the way animals are raised and treated. But I don't think he would reject the idea of people eating animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by RudHao View Post
    Because in a world where something like "The Green" exists behind all plant life it's a dumb as hell to say that eating animals ls wrong but eating plants is a ok. Ask Swamp Thing how he feels about that, it would give Poison Ivy a good reason to ch o after Supes if they went that route though....
    These are both good reasons why Clark wouldn’t be vegetarian/vegan, but whether or not Clark needs to eat at all seems to vary. I personally believe he should need to eat, drink, and sleep. I don’t really care whether he’s a vegetarian or not.

  15. #30
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    While I can see why some people might peg Clark Kent as a vegetarian (and I certainly understand your reasoning for doing so).....it has never quite felt right to me.

    I guess, in part, because there is a sort of strange privilege around being vegan that frankly I think Clark would be aware of.

    Veganism is something that is often expensive and not at all available to people of a lower socio economic class level. There is a reason you have to go to an expensive place like Whole Foods to get vegan products---because it's something often only available regularly to the very rich. For people from a lower class, you don't get the nutrients and vitamins you need without being able to eat meat.

    Clark Kent grows up not just on a farm but also in a small town where people are likely struggling financially. He is likely very aware of the financial realities of veganism and the way that can impact the poor. For that reason, I've just never associated him with being a vegan. I think he would absolutely be against animal cruelty and likely, as a farm kid, have a lot of strong opinions about the way animals are raised and treated. But I don't think he would reject the idea of people eating animals.
    I understand where you're coming from, and I do think growing up in rural Kansas is an important attribute for Superman- but the idea that being vegan is just for the rich is wrong. Especially in 2018.

    This would especially be true for a man from a metropolis called, well, Metropolis.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •