Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 68
  1. #46
    Fantastic Member KingsLeadHat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Really...anybody. Because deep down I think the whole “convention” of no “main” character ever “dying permanently” is well past its sell by date.

    But I’ll propose a character that I like and has been featured in many of my favourite stories: Reed Richards. I actually think the next set of Fantastic Four stories would be better...because new possibilities would be opened...if Reed was permanently offed.

    And no...you really, really don’t need to bring him back because he’s “unique”. Other characters can be written as going into lab for 15 minutes and creating something awesome.
    It's less a convention and more an aspect of a company protecting their most valuable IP's. Granted, as much as I love the FF and Reed, he's not exactly Clark Kent or Peter Parker, but if Marvel/Disney get's the FF going again across media, almost everyone involved will reflexively want to protect him given his historical importance. Reed get's labeled as "boring white guy" but I think this is unfair. The guy is basically Marvel's modern equivalent of Newton and Da Vinci. He's only boring to me when his characterization is reduced to a caricature.

    The problem isn't these 60's characters that never age or die, the real problem is that modern creators have no real incentive to create new, potentially iconic, characters. Without question it's hard to create something that sticks with the fans, regardless of era, but I guarantee you that you'd see more attempts if creators were given partial ownership by Marvel and DC.

  2. #47
    Astonishing Member TheCape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    2,909

    Default

    If i allow myself the pettyness, Superior Spider-Man and Daken, these are two characthers that i simply have no love for.

    That being said, i know that they have their fans so, i'll probaby try to do something memorable with then before killing then, their fans at lesst deserve that much.

  3. #48
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    8,250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mary Janes View Post
    After being disappointed with X-Men Red, I have to say that Jean Grey should have stayed dead.

    Instead, we're being teased that the better wife of Cyclops is about to die along with Star Lord!
    That logic is so ridiculous lol.

  4. #49
    Fantastic Member KingsLeadHat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    443

    Default

    I'm fine with "classic" Wolverine. What I'd like buried is Origins, which completely ruined the character for me. Part of the reason he became so popular was the mystery of his origins. I'll never understand people who can't handle a character with a mysterious background. We have two of note: The Joker and Wolverine. Every other major hero/villain has a clearly defined origin, yet those of us who see the value in mystery can't even have that anymore. Then again, this is a culture who loves spoilers then whines about every movie release.

  5. #50
    Fantastic Member Captain Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    336

    Default

    WHile I'm a fan of them, I think it would be good for Marvel and for stories to kill off one of the big three avengers. For good. Forever. It really doesn't matter to me which one, just make it a legacy. Make a promise to fans that this time, they really are never ever coming back, and keep it. No alternate versions of the character, no clones, no time traveling. There can be legacy characters but the actual character, gone, never to return.
    Viva la ResurreXion!!!!

  6. #51
    Spectacular Member Hush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    I'm fine with "classic" Wolverine. What I'd like buried is Origins, which completely ruined the character for me. Part of the reason he became so popular was the mystery of his origins. I'll never understand people who can't handle a character with a mysterious background. We have two of note: The Joker and Wolverine. Every other major hero/villain has a clearly defined origin, yet those of us who see the value in mystery can't even have that anymore. Then again, this is a culture who loves spoilers then whines about every movie release.
    I fully agree with you With Origin/Origin II/Origins Marvel just demystified the character, they reduced him to another hero who became who he is after a traumatic event in his childhood.

    I talked about it in the Wolverine thread, but as you said Wolverine is a lot like the Joker when it comes to their mysterious past.
    Doing and origin story for these characters is like opening a Pandora Box, it's tempting in the short term but if you open that box a lot of bad things will come out of it and in the long term the appeal of these characters will be lost and that's exactly what happened with Logan.


    As for characters to be buried, just all these Wolverine knockoffs running around. Keep Logan and Laura (with Gabby) and that's it kill the rest.

  7. #52
    Spectacular Member The Mary Janes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    -50.606317, 165.972345
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    That logic is so ridiculous lol.
    Even if X-Men Red didn't even exist, she shouldn't have been revived. She's outlived her purpose.
    Patiently waiting for X-Books to be rebooted later this year

  8. #53
    Astonishing Member Crimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Really...anybody. Because deep down I think the whole “convention” of no “main” character ever “dying permanently” is well past its sell by date.

    But I’ll propose a character that I like and has been featured in many of my favourite stories: Reed Richards. I actually think the next set of Fantastic Four stories would be better...because new possibilities would be opened...if Reed was permanently offed.

    And no...you really, really don’t need to bring him back because he’s “unique”. Other characters can be written as going into lab for 15 minutes and creating something awesome.
    They'll never kill him for good. They just need to let him take a backseat so that other members of the team can get the spotlight for once.
    FANTASTIC FOUR #1 out AUGUST 8th! Be sure to check it out!

    Also check out : The Invisible Woman Appreciation thread!

    I NEED an Invisible Woman solo! It's got to happen sometime right?......right?

  9. #54
    Mighty Member JackDaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    They'll never kill him for good. They just need to let him take a backseat so that other members of the team can get the spotlight for once.
    You’re right, of course.

    But all sorts of ways of giving him a very extended absence...and it might (probably would?) be a good way to develop some of the other characters in ways I suspect we both might prefer.

    For example, if Reed is absent and Johnny starts leading Future Foundation field trips...then less chance of him yet again reverting to feckless playboy, and more chance of building on maturity he was showing toward end of Hickman run.

  10. #55
    Incredible Member Muffinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    599

    Default

    I would say I would love to see kitty pryde phase 6 feet under and stay there permanently. Never really liked the character and gug's is just making her unbearable.

    I think Storm should take a long rest, but come back for sure. I just think she needs a pause.

    All of the wolverine clones need to go other than Laura. Daken, Jimmy Huson, Wolvie, Honey Badger... all of them need to get smelted down and turned into very heavy costume jewelry

  11. #56
    Astonishing Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Things I Learned So Far From This Thread

    1. You folks seem to really dislike multiple heroes spinning off of one hero! It seems that the most you can tolerate are one to two heroes spinning off.

    Peter Parker Spider-Man: Jessica and Miles and you want the rest dead.

    Logan is Wolverine: X:23 can stay and everyone else can take a dirt nap.

    Bruce Banner is Hulk: Jennifer can stay and everyone else can go.

    2. The Sentry hate is still going strong. The Sentry has always struck me as a character that only a writer could love, Moonknight is another.

    3. People dislike Franklin and Valerie Richards.
    1 - I think that has to do with the more knock offs they make the more it dilutes the main property and just looks like they are milking it. All the Hulk knock offs are the perfect example of that. Same with Wolverine. Plus the knock offs are never as good a the original. One spin off is usually no problem, but after that it just is diminishing returns.

    2 - Sentry is just writers getting to live out writing there Superman fantasies with mental illness slapped on it.

    3 - The Richards kids main problem is the writers don't want them to be kids, and instead want them to be demigods. The give them both ridiculous power levels to fit whatever story they are writing without any thought of what to do with characters after their story is over. Franklin should have been powered way down decades ago and Val needs her intelligence knocked way down too. As much as people love Hickmans FF run he really messed up both kids. I am not saying make them non powered, but their insane power levels need to be severerly nerfed. Val can still be smart, but she should not be anywhere close to her dad and Franklin can still ahve some pwoers but not the god level he is usually show with.

  12. #57
    Fantastic Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    I fully agree with you As for characters to be buried, just all these Wolverine knockoffs running around. Keep Logan and Laura (with Gabby) and that's it kill the rest.
    Nope, just Logan and Laura. Gabby takes the dirt nap.

  13. #58
    Astonishing Member mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids,Mich
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muffinman View Post
    I would say I would love to see kitty pryde phase 6 feet under and stay there permanently. Never really liked the character and gug's is just making her unbearable.

    I think Storm should take a long rest, but come back for sure. I just think she needs a pause.

    All of the wolverine clones need to go other than Laura. Daken, Jimmy Huson, Wolvie, Honey Badger... all of them need to get smelted down and turned into very heavy costume jewelry
    I haven't paid attention to any of the Wolverine clones, but since starting reading "Red" since issue one, I find Gabby annoying as hell! She isn't "funny", she isn't "cute", she's a first-class BRAT! Gabby is like a fly buzzing around your head. You just want to roll up a newspaper and give her a good smack that squashes her flat!

  14. #59
    Spectacular Member Hush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Nope, just Logan and Laura. Gabby takes the dirt nap.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    I haven't paid attention to any of the Wolverine clones, but since starting reading "Red" since issue one, I find Gabby annoying as hell! She isn't "funny", she isn't "cute", she's a first-class BRAT! Gabby is like a fly buzzing around your head. You just want to roll up a newspaper and give her a good smack that squashes her flat!
    To be honest I don't like her so if Marvel want to kill her or turn her into one of Laura's villain I don't mind, but I thought X-23's fans loved her.

    Looking at some of the X-Men Red threads, I see that a lot of peole don't like her though.

  15. #60
    Astonishing Member TheCape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    2,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    To be honest I don't like her so if Marvel want to kill her or turn her into one of Laura's villain I don't mind, but I thought X-23's fans loved her.

    Looking at some of the X-Men Red threads, I see that a lot of peole don't like her though.
    Is a mix, some Laura fans love Gabby, others dislike her.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •