Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Well..damn. Where's the bravo applause gif when you need it?

That's an impressive insight you got on Clark there. Now if only more of that could be applied to the comics.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Not a Soupie fan. But I my favourite interpretations of Superman is in the MOS film and the Justice League cartoons. In that he's a good, kind decent man, who believes in protecting others. But he is far from some goody-two shoes 'Pollyanna' type of pie in the sky dreamer about the way the world works. He does what is right because it's the way he was brought up...to be the bigger person. To be less than that (ie. venal and toxic) would make him feel soiled and dirty. It's not the man he wants to be.
    We need a culture of responsibility. Not one of victimhood. Because if you define yourself as a victim you can never be free.- Rabbi Sacks
    We need for people to get up and say earned self-respect counts far more than un-earned self-esteem.-Rabbi Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    >a wild Ascended appears!<

Okay, let's see.

He's a Metallica fan (which I adore, because so am I) and his favorite album is "....And Justice For All." Conner Kent favors "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets." There was also a fictional album Clark loved that was a combined effort from a number of varied artists including Prince, a country music singer (Reba something maybe?) and....it might've been one of the Beatles? I forget exactly who was involved, and I couldn't begin to guess what it sounded like. I also believe (though this is maybe more my guesswork than established canon) that he favors the blues, country, and classic/anthem rock. John Mellencamp, AC/DC, the Blues Brothers, and Garth Brooks are all likely in his music collection.

He's a fan of mustard covered pretzels; there's a street vendor near the Planet that Clark visits on his way to work and these pretzels are responsible for most of the stains on his ties. And of course there's the beef bourgeoisie, though I believe that was a sex joke that writers never let go of.
    You know, I've seen it said that having him literally like beef bourguignon was missing the joke, but since Loeb was a good friend of Maggin I don't think that it's something he would have just misinterpreted.

I also could have sworn that I remember Hotel California in his apartment during Exile. But he definitely had copies of Art of War and Great Expectations. And with his own writing, in addition to Under a Yellow Sun he wrote The Janus Contract.

Great write up. As good as I've seen it driven home that over the course of 80 years, Superman has had a pretty absurd amount of small insights into his person.

Ascended, as always, impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    You know, I've seen it said that having him literally like beef bourguignon was missing the joke, but since Loeb was a good friend of Maggin I don't think that it's something he would have just misinterpreted.
    Probably not? I've never heard anyone directly refer to that whole thing. All I know is that it's been said on panel several times, so whatever the original intent, Clark is now a fan of the dish.

But I'd bet real money that Clark wasn't supposed to literally like it. Apparently Deadpool and tacos are the same way. "Tacos" was really code for.....something else.

I also could have sworn that I remember Hotel California in his apartment during Exile. But he definitely had copies of Art of War and Great Expectations. And with his own writing, in addition to Under a Yellow Sun he wrote The Janus Contract.
    Now you mention it, I think I do recall seeing the Art of War on his shelf. And I think I've see the Great Gatsby too, among other classics.

Great write up. As good as I've seen it driven home that over the course of 80 years, Superman has had a pretty absurd amount of small insights into his person.
    Thanks. It really is impressive how fully fleshed out the character is. Damned few fictional characters even come close to have the depth and development that Clark does.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Ascended, as always, impressive
    Many thanks!
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

Bridge Four!