View Poll Results: Which Super physique do you prefer?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • BULKY: Old School Circus Strongman

5 11.36%
  • DAD-BOD: 40 year old man with six pack drawn on his stomach

5 11.36%
  • LEAN & TONED: Menís Fitness Cover Model with a cape

28 63.64%
  • As long as his underwear is outside his tights, I donít care!

6 13.64%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Rocafort will always have been the ideal New 52 Superman artist, imo. I actually feel like he's at a disadvantage when he draws Superman older than 30. Which I like because if you draw everything the same, then your good stuff isn't as good because it doesn't stand out.

I think Quitely, Frank, Villalobos, and Lee have done the best jobs of making his costume look good on him, but since it came up I have to say that I care more about the small logo than the amount of muscle with which he's drawn. I've never really liked it to be bigger than the dceu version and that informs how I see his figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Rocafort will always have been the ideal New 52 Superman artist, imo. I actually feel like he's at a disadvantage when he draws Superman older than 30. Which I like because if you draw everything the same, then your good stuff isn't as good because it doesn't stand out.

I think Quitely, Frank, Villalobos, and Lee have done the best jobs of making his costume look good on him, but since it came up I have to say that I care more about the small logo than the amount of muscle with which he's drawn. I've never really liked it to be bigger than the dceu version and that informs how I see his figure.
    I think Man of Steel '12 has a pretty big "S" and I like it, but it's also about as big as I think the "S" should get. I do prefer the BvS/JL shield with the Joseph Campbell quote written on it in Kryptonese though.

I wish that artists were given more leeway in how to draw Superman. For example, I think Lee makes the "classic" costume with the trunks look stupid, almost every single time, in my personal opinion. At the same time though, nobody made the post-Flashpoint armor look better than he did - almost like it was designed to be drawn by Jim Lee. :P Rocafort drew the Rebirth costume pretty well, but I agree that when his Superman looks younger, it's better. I wish that editorial constraints didn't require artists to draw Superman old, or young, or with the trunks, or without them, or really buff, or thinner, but just let the writer and artists have it out themselves a little bit.

And sure I've got preferences on the young/thin/trunksless sides of those particular issues and I'm saying this at a time when the "standard" happens to fall on the side of older/bulkier/trunks, but I legitimately mean that artists should do it case by case. There were certainly New 52 artists who I just looked at their work and thought "Gee, I sure wish they could get away with the trunks that they'd clearly draw better."
    Last edited by Adekis; 06-15-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."