View Poll Results: Who's smarter?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Perter

    12 38.71%
  • Otto

    11 35.48%
  • They're about the same

    8 25.81%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62
  1. #46
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Stark Unlimited
    Posts
    3,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    In a marvel universe ranking... I'd certainly put Parker in the top 100 smartest people on earth... but he'd never break the top 10. Still, out of all the people on earth... Top 100 is pretty amazing
    I think Peter is at least top 20 or 25 smartest list. The top 10 is right there on the list from Marvel Entertainment. It is never been written that Peter is in the top 10 smartest super heroes or villains. The Intelligencia went after the smartest and they didn't go after Peter. That's not a bad thing to be out of the top 10. Some people are just smarter.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-18-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    " I've learned that free will isn't a gift-it's muscle that needs to be exercised-and only when it's in peak condition-is a man truly awake" TONY STARK

  2. #47
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    47

    Default

    I don't have a long time in comics, so this is just a humble of someone who loves Spider Man. No proof in comics. Spider Man is the most beloved super hero in (our) world because he is relatable. That make him shine among characters like Superman and Batman.

    I think even people who were primarily exposed just to movies or cartoons understand perfectly that Peter has an extraordinary intellect. He is meant to be younger than everyone with no money and yet can stand among all of these great minds, like some dedicated fans here pointed out with pages of comics.

    But to me is just not that important to the character because he needs to be someone like me or like the person next door. His goals needs to be balance a social life and be a super hero, take care of the small ones, protect Aunt May and Mary Jane... Not develop a new great time machine or an AI. So once he is smarter, stronger or faster than someone, to me a lot of his charm fades. But when people like Beast, Otto, Tony, Reed recognize Peter is just the simple true to the character and yet very relatable.

    I'm not very familiar with Reed in comics, but I understand that is important to the dynamic of F4 and to be foil to Doom this character be the smartest man. Or Tony. He is just a guy in a world of mutants and gods. His intelligence needs to be his superpower. That is the core of these characters and what makes them special.
    Be out of the top ten smarter makes difference to the concept of these characters. But not for Pete.

    So, I think Otto is more a tradicional scientist and sure put a lot more effort in inventions than Pete. But Pete is smart and can keep up and beat people like Otto or Norman or anyone in the top ten.
    Last edited by Ana; 06-13-2018 at 10:15 PM.

  3. #48
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Stark Unlimited
    Posts
    3,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    I don't have a long time in comics, so this is just a humble of someone who loves Spider Man. No proof in comics. Spider Man is the most beloved super hero in (our) world because he is relatable. That make him shine among characters like Superman and Batman.

    I think even people who were primarily exposed just to movies or cartoons understand perfectly that Peter has an extraordinary intellect. He is meant to be younger than everyone with no money and yet can stand among all of these great minds, like some dedicated fans here pointed out with pages of comics.

    But to me is just not that important to the character because he needs to be someone like me or like the person next door. His goals needs to be balance a social life and be a super hero, take care of the small ones, protect Aunt May and Mary Jane... Not develop a new great time machine or an AI. So once he is smarter, stronger or faster than someone, to me a lot of his charm fades. But when people like Beast, Otto, Tony, Reed recognize Peter is just the simple true to the character and yet very relatable.

    I'm not very familiar with Reed in comics, but I understand that is important to the dynamic of F4 and to be foil to Doom this character be the smartest man. Or Tony. He is just a guy in a world of mutants and gods. His intelligence needs to be his superpower. That is the core of these characters and what makes them special.
    Be out of the top ten smarter makes difference to the concept of these characters. But not for Pete.

    So, I think Otto is more a tradicional scientist and sure put a lot more effort in inventions than Pete. But Pete is smart and can keep up and beat people like Otto or Norman or anyone in the top ten.
    Very well stated. I agree on some of your points.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-13-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    " I've learned that free will isn't a gift-it's muscle that needs to be exercised-and only when it's in peak condition-is a man truly awake" TONY STARK

  4. #49
    Astonishing Member boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    depends on the type of string and its purpose
    ha good point
    troo fan or death

  5. #50
    Mighty Member Johnny Peril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Lands of Always Winter
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    Ock's at a disadvantage considering he only had his own mag for a couple of years but some accomplishments are; curing Peter of a chemical virus, fixing Aunt May's leg, creating a web "dissolver", and counter acting the Goblin serum.
    "I wish you good fortune in the wars to come."

  6. #51
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Of course.

    Everything is 'easily disprovable' when the same character has existed for 60 years and been written by 30 or so writers for multiple generations, often at the same time. It's all about what writers and what visions you feel are 'right' and which ones you think as little more than fan fiction... and there have been wonderful examples of that in every decade of Spider-man. So yeah, it's all opinion as much mine and yours as it is Slotts or MacFarlene's. You can find examples where people says he's the smartest smartie ever... and I can find examples of when he did something super dumb. It's all about what you feel was written 'well' and what wasn't. Opinions all around.
    Fair enough. Maybe it's your opinion that you don't want him to be one of the smartest people, and that's fair. However, what I'm saying is that, by his actual feats and stories, it is a fact that he is. Does that make sense?

    In my opinion, the Peter was a nerdy science kid when he was young... but unlike Reed and Pym and the rest of those withdrawn obsessive scientist types... Peter never pursued that direction. He partied, he had friends, he dated, got married, got a job, supported his family. Reed and Pym and even Tony despite his 'playboy' attitude... would lock themselves away for weeks or months every time there was a new breakthrough. Peter would not. He was distracted and lived a full life. He went to college, but skipped half his classes to fight crime.
    This is kinda unfair to Peter IMO. He has always wanted to do science above anything else, and Spider-Man is like the curse that blocks him from following his dreams. However, realize that we are talking abour raw intelligence in this question - not knowledge. Sure, Reed and Pym may have more knowledge than Peter, since they have more experience and spend more time on science. However, Peter has the same level of raw intellectual potential, which in his case has just gone mostly unused. That's canon.

    Any writer who then comes in and says that yeah, His spandex is now a nanite super weave with an AI interface... because he was smart as a kid, misses a big part of the Spider-man experience. Pete has always had to chose between responsibility and personal satisfaction and he usually ends up suffering for it. He has a lot of untapped potential, but at his core, he shouldn't excel at so much broadly defined 'science, y'know... all of science' just because.
    I completely disagree. The reason he made his spandex into just a nanite super weave with an AI interface instead of something more advanced is because he still hadn't tapped his full potential. Anyways, once again, you say he "shouldn't" excel but provide no reasoning for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I think Peter is at least top 20 or 25 smartest list. The top 10 is right there on the list from Marvel Entertainment. It is never been written that Peter is in the top 10 smartest super heroes or villains. The Intelligencia went after the smartest and they didn't go after Peter. That's not a bad thing to be out of the top 10. Some people are just smarter.
    Okay, we know that both the Youtube video and the Intelligencia list are incorrect since they don't agree with each other. Besides, Peter is smarter than any of the Intelligenia so he could have just fooled them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    So, I think Otto is more a tradicional scientist and sure put a lot more effort in inventions than Pete. But Pete is smart and can keep up and beat people like Otto or Norman or anyone in the top ten.
    This is what I'm saying. Peter doesn't have the resources or time to spend on science, but his raw intellectual power exceeds or equals anyone in the top 10. That's a canon fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    Ock's at a disadvantage considering he only had his own mag for a couple of years but some accomplishments are; curing Peter of a chemical virus, fixing Aunt May's leg, creating a web "dissolver", and counter acting the Goblin serum.
    Yeah, that's nothing compared to Peter's intelligence feats. And Peter is at more of a disadvantage since he has spent most of his life not being able to afford rent except for like maybe 80 or so issues. Ock has always had more resources than he could ever need due to his criminal activities.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 06-14-2018 at 07:25 AM.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

  7. #52
    Astonishing Member boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    Ock's at a disadvantage considering he only had his own mag for a couple of years but some accomplishments are; curing Peter of a chemical virus, fixing Aunt May's leg, creating a web "dissolver", and counter acting the Goblin serum.
    good point. if ock starred in an ongoing for 30+ years you can bet writers would have power crept his intellect and achievements the same way they have for all the marvel superheroes

    it’s not a level playing field, so either you come up with a handicap system or just take it as is
    troo fan or death

  8. #53
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Stark Unlimited
    Posts
    3,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Honestly, the 90's were like the absolute worst IMO haha. Anyways, sorry, but your opinion of Peter's intelligence is just straight up wrong. Many of those feats I mentioned in my earlier post (did you see them?) were from the 60s/70s (which were awesome Spidey decades IMO), though you're right that they did nerf his intelligence down in the 80s for whatever reason. All they've done in the 2000's is bring him back to his intelligence level from the 60's and 70's - a much needed update to the character.



    I'm not sure what "cyber armor hi-tech" means, but either way I disagree. It's a pretty natural evolution for a character who was as smart as Hank Pym (arguably the third smartest person in Marvel) when he was 15. If anything, him not doing anything with that intelligence boils down to either bad or lazy writing. Pick your poison.



    Once again, straight up wrong since he HAS done that sort of stuff plenty of times in the past. You also state a bunch of "shoulds" but don't give any reasoning as why those should" be the case. Seems like more of your opinion which you want to pass off as fact, when it is easily disprovable.



    No, it's because he is genuinely on the same intellect level as Reed, which is why he literally scored the same IQ as Reed did.



    Considering he is clearly more intelligent than the likes of Blue Marvel, Beast, or Amadeus Cho at the very least, he's at least top 10. Where he should be. He's basically on the level of being intelligent enough to do anything he puts his mind to, while not being a walking deus ex machina like Reed and Doom (and Pym, to some extent) are.
    Ah no. The list is straight Marvel Entertainment. Also the intelligencia were going for the smartest guys from the super hero side. The list has added Richards daughter, RiRi and Moon girl who Marvel say's is the smartest. Peter just isn't on there. That's no disrespect. Also we already had this arguement you went your way and I went mine. We agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-14-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    " I've learned that free will isn't a gift-it's muscle that needs to be exercised-and only when it's in peak condition-is a man truly awake" TONY STARK

  9. #54
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Stark Unlimited
    Posts
    3,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Honestly, the 90's were like the absolute worst IMO haha. Anyways, sorry, but your opinion of Peter's intelligence is just straight up wrong. Many of those feats I mentioned in my earlier post (did you see them?) were from the 60s/70s (which were awesome Spidey decades IMO), though you're right that they did nerf his intelligence down in the 80s for whatever reason. All they've done in the 2000's is bring him back to his intelligence level from the 60's and 70's - a much needed update to the character.



    I'm not sure what "cyber armor hi-tech" means, but either way I disagree. It's a pretty natural evolution for a character who was as smart as Hank Pym (arguably the third smartest person in Marvel) when he was 15. If anything, him not doing anything with that intelligence boils down to either bad or lazy writing. Pick your poison.



    Once again, straight up wrong since he HAS done that sort of stuff plenty of times in the past. You also state a bunch of "shoulds" but don't give any reasoning as why those should" be the case. Seems like more of your opinion which you want to pass off as fact, when it is easily disprovable.



    No, it's because he is genuinely on the same intellect level as Reed, which is why he literally scored the same IQ as Reed did.



    Considering he is clearly more intelligent than the likes of Blue Marvel, Beast, or Amadeus Cho at the very least, he's at least top 10. Where he should be. He's basically on the level of being intelligent enough to do anything he puts his mind to, while not being a walking deus ex machina like Reed and Doom (and Pym, to some extent) are.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Fair enough. Maybe it's your opinion that you don't want him to be one of the smartest people, and that's fair. However, what I'm saying is that, by his actual feats and stories, it is a fact that he is. Does that make sense?



    This is kinda unfair to Peter IMO. He has always wanted to do science above anything else, and Spider-Man is like the curse that blocks him from following his dreams. However, realize that we are talking abour raw intelligence in this question - not knowledge. Sure, Reed and Pym may have more knowledge than Peter, since they have more experience and spend more time on science. However, Peter has the same level of raw intellectual potential, which in his case has just gone mostly unused. That's canon.



    I completely disagree. The reason he made his spandex into just a nanite super weave with an AI interface instead of something more advanced is because he still hadn't tapped his full potential. Anyways, once again, you say he "shouldn't" excel but provide no reasoning for that.



    Okay, we know that both the Youtube video and the Intelligencia list are incorrect since they don't agree with each other. Besides, Peter is smarter than any of the Intelligenia so he could have just fooled them.



    This is what I'm saying. Peter doesn't have the resources or time to spend on science, but his raw intellectual power exceeds or equals anyone in the top 10. That's a canon fact.



    Yeah, that's nothing compared to Peter's intelligence feats. And Peter is at more of a disadvantage since he has spent most of his life not being able to afford rent except for like maybe 80 or so issues. Ock has always had more resources than he could ever need due to his criminal activities.
    The list and the Intelligencia are canon. The list comes from Marvel Entertainment. Peter is not in the top 10. It's not a slap in the face. Also we already had this debate. So we just agree to disagree. We didn't need to talk about it ad naseaum.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-14-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    " I've learned that free will isn't a gift-it's muscle that needs to be exercised-and only when it's in peak condition-is a man truly awake" TONY STARK

  10. #55
    Fantastic Member Turlast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    316

    Default

    You know, I wasn't aware Valeria was so intelligent. I mean, since Reed is her father, it's not too shocking.

    I guess I just haven't read enough F4.

  11. #56
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Stark Unlimited
    Posts
    3,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    You know, I wasn't aware Valeria was so intelligent. I mean, since Reed is her father, it's not too shocking.

    I guess I just haven't read enough F4.
    She will be smarter than Reed in the future. RiRi is going to be smarter than Tony in the future.
    " I've learned that free will isn't a gift-it's muscle that needs to be exercised-and only when it's in peak condition-is a man truly awake" TONY STARK

  12. #57
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    47

    Default

    About this list. Is canon in the comics?

    Because said it is the vote of Marvel.com team and social teams based on influence and importance.
    This last part is vague. And adding so high on the list new characters like Riri, Moon Girl or Amadeus looks more like an advertising for these characters because they were important to legacy at that point.

    And I say this not for Peter, because does not mind and he should not be on the top 10 but because I don't have this kind of knoweledge in comics. But Professor X and Moira ( she is not a hero, but still), Blue Marvel, Stephen. I always thougth that they are also smart.
    Last edited by Ana; 06-14-2018 at 10:57 AM.

  13. #58
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Stark Unlimited
    Posts
    3,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    About this list. Is canon in the comics?

    Because said it is the vote of Marvel.com team and social teams based on influence and importance.
    This last part is vague. And adding so high on the list new characters like Riri, Moon Girl or Amadeus looks more like an advertising for these characters because they were important to legacy at that point.

    And I say this not for Peter, because does not mind and he should not be on the top 10 but because I don't have this kind of knoweledge in comics. But Professor X and Moira ( she is not a hero, but still), Blue Marvel, Stephen. I always thougth that they are also smart.
    That's pretty much been the list except they added RiRi and Moon Girl. They only thing I don't agree with in the list is T'Challa should be higher up.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-14-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    " I've learned that free will isn't a gift-it's muscle that needs to be exercised-and only when it's in peak condition-is a man truly awake" TONY STARK

  14. #59
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    That's pretty much been the list except they added RiRi and Moon Girl.
    I see. I agree with this list then, from what I saw of comics so far.
    Maybe Riri and Moon Girl out of top 10 and Professor X and Blue Marvel in. But both girls make it to the top 15, I think.

  15. #60
    Astonishing Member Tuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    This is kinda unfair to Peter IMO. He has always wanted to do science above anything else, and Spider-Man is like the curse that blocks him from following his dreams. However, realize that we are talking abour raw intelligence in this question - not knowledge.
    But this is a nebulous concept.

    Even IQ, which is supposed to measure some sort of "potential", changes throughout a person's life. The brain has to be exercised like a muscle to maintain, no less grow.

    Putting all that aside, Peter's "raw intelligence" is provisional. What I mean is that it is possible we simply haven't seen it run into knowledge or concepts it can't process, but others can. (You have to try to push past your limits in order to find them).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •