For real? Not enough action?
    The Purifiers?
    Daken?
    That power cancelling kid?
    The angry mobs? More Purifiers?
    The Juggernaut?
    Death Seed Daken?
    That giant LA Sentinel?
    Pretty much all of them were easily taken out and Sina even had Bobby carrying on a conversation about his dates while he was fighting some of those villains. They were ridiculously short for a superhero comic.

The book was a milestone....but it needed work.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I feel his portrayal was sanitized in a number of ways. I've read where haters say that he was a negative stereotype of a gay man, but their reasoning doesn't hold up with me. Yes Bobby had a dating profile, but he did not use it to hook up with numerous guys for numerous one night stands. Yes, he did Netflix and Chill with Judah, but all we saw was that they kissed/made out. We actually have no idea what happened between them. We saw more (or more was implied) between Rictor and Shatterstar (before the issue where Rahne attacks). We saw NorthStar in bed with his spouse in Astonishing X-Men, but with Bobby we just assume he hooked up with Judah. Bobby and Judah had a very brief relationship, but it was an actual relationship (though it was long distance and through text for the most part).

I'm a pretty conservative guy (not politically but in personal behavior) so I can identify with Bobby to a great extent. I did not see him as a negative stereotype at all, and my main point is that even a clean sanitized gay version of Bobby Drake was too much for some fans to handle. You would have thought reading a lot of twitter, youtube, and facebook comments that Bobby had turned into a character straight out of Queer as Folk.
    That Judah and Bobby really hit it off and seemed to be heading in the right directions prior to Daken really makes me miss Judah now. I would have liked to see more of that goodness on-panel a little longer if it were possible.

Not surprised to find out that clean-laced, respectable gay Bobby was still too gay, though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Pretty much all of them were easily taken out and Sina even had Bobby carrying on a conversation about his dates while he was fighting some of those villains. They were ridiculously short for a superhero comic.

The book was a milestone....but it needed work.
    I feel that's more conflicts with your personally preferences than the book needing work in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I had no issue with the last volume and loved it as much as the first. I don't think he needs to "learn" anything; just keep doing what he's been, and hopefully Marvel won't pull the plug of a rug under his feet abruptly again.
    I enjoyed the last volume. But I do think there were somethings that could have been handled better.

We should have seen more from Bobby's bestfriends like Hank, Sam, Rogue, Lorna, Warren and the rest of the Champions. At best these characters got short cameos. And Kitty had way too much focus when their relationship was a blip in their overall history.

The action wasn't great, it took Sina a while to really use Iceman to his full potential. He shouldn't have struggled with those Purifiers.

And frankly Zach and Michaela weren't really interesting as new characters, they took an opportunity away from established characters who could have fit their roles in the story much better.

I'm quite late to the party but omgomgomgomg!!! Fantastic news!!! I could never even have dreamed of this happening! And clearly I'm not the only one, everyone seems surprised as well! This news has totally brightened up my day, my week, and probably my month lol!

I find it really interesting that quite a number of people who have posted in this thread with positive reactions are ones who didn't really post in the discussion threads for the first series, nor the appreciation thread. Which indicates that the book had more support even just on the forum than I imagined, and this is possibly mirrored outside CBR too. Jordan White said the trades sold well so that must be the reason they're bringing it back, along with the critical praise it got. It's nice to see that it resonated with so many people, even if there has been quite a lot of negativity surrounding this book (and plenty others). And on that note, I'm quite amused at how a number of people in this thread are/were self-destructing because of this news; I genuinely loled I'm not about to resurrect old posts in this thread to argue, but I'm not surprised by some of the responses from certain people, and that's all I'll say lol. Regardless of how many issues this new series lasts, it all feels like a bonus to me, because in my mind I had already accepted the end and moved on these past 6 months since the cancellation. So for me, it's a victory either way

Astonishing Member WhiteQueenEmmaFrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I feel that's more conflicts with your personally preferences than the book needing work in that direction.
    If it were just me I might agree, but there are plenty of other people who feel the same way in this very thread, soo....

Happy to see it comeback as I am supportive of my queer characters as I am one myself.even if Bobby isn't exactly perfect I am glad he is being written well. Although I usually support smaller writers and more independent comics.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

My only real complain about the last volume was the final arc, which seemed all sorts of rushed. So it ended rather flatly for me, which is why I'm more than on board for a follow up. Just hope Sina has some contingencies story wise if the book gets another sudden axing.

My FABulous4 Mutant MUSES Heroine Addict's Avatar

I think the hook of the Morlock mystery, and Bishop joining up to find out WTF is goin' on, is new & interesting. Pretty legit, actually.

Marvel.com, Back by Popular Demand... Iceman Returns this September
    ... Marvel.com: As a mutant, a hero, and a person, Bobby Drake represents a lot. What do you see as his defining characteristics?

Sina Grace:
    Temper tantrums and a sense of humor…bahahaha!

I’d say that his relentless optimism, candor, and inability to see personality flaws that exist right under his nose—those things make up Bobby Drake to me. Similarly, I love that he’s so ultra powerful and kind of relegated to the back of the scene. That’s something we only lightly explored towards the end of the original run. Bobby’s a lot more self-confident and comfortable in his skin this time around, so I’m here to flex those muscles of his and show off some real bad-ass moments with his powers. We may even unlock some new ones along the way? You gotta read to find out.

Marvel.com: Where will we find Iceman at the start of this new series? Will readers see some familiar supporting faces?

Sina Grace:
    Iceman got to try his hand being a leader in the pages of X-MEN: GOLD. While he’s fine enough running a team, he knows it’s not where his strengths are best put to use. He’s still sorting out how he fits in this world when he discovers that Morlocks are disappearing in the sewers. What he uncovers in the catacombs is far more terrifying than he could have imagined. From there? Things get really bad. ...

... Marvel.com: Bishop teams up with Bobby at the start of the new book—what do he and Bobby have in common? What makes their dynamic unique?

Sina Grace:
    They’ve been teammates in various iterations through the years, and in this first issue, Bobby is leading Bishop on their mission. Is Bishop cool with that? Is Bobby capable of telling Bishop what to do? Are there subtext issues to address? It’s gonna be lit.

I think they’re gonna fun to have next to each other given Bobby’s new context. Exploring identity is a huge theme in this series, and Bishop’s a perfect character to have bounce off Bobby…not only ‘cuz he’s kind of more straight-laced than Iceman, but because he’s also this guy trying to establish himself in a world he’s not from. That’s something Bobby can relate to after having to come out to every single human being in his life. ...
    This ALL sounds good, to me. Lookin' forward to it more than the first round, TBH. Probably the way it should be, given it's a direct sequel, of sorts.
    My TOP X-Faves+
    PolarisDazzler
    Sunfire & Rictor♂♀MonetDani MOONSTARJean GreyIceman
    ArchangelNightcrawlerGambit

THE GiFTED💚NewMUTANTS💙X-Men:D.P
    ASTONISHing2♦BLUE&RED
    😍

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    We have seen Bobby’s pure, unfiltered thoughts for 50 years. He has repeatedly shown his attraction to women. Bendis’ explanation that he chose to subdue his gayness because it was hard enough to be a mutant. His literal origin where he discovers his powers was when he was on a date with a girl. He had was already dating girls before he knew he was a mutant. And Scott Lobdell has said that he wrote Bobby as straight in the 90s. So, people can point to that, but it’s refuted by the writer. LikeI said before though, I have no problem showcasing gay characters. Bobby just isn’t one. Northstar has potential, but they kind of turned him into a stereotype as well. Northstar was created gay, but has unfortunately been relegated to the background and talking like a stereotype. John Byrne Northstar would never yell “Go team Jacob!” while fighting vampires. He should be an aggressive, overconfident, gay French Canadian.
    You can't even claim that he subdued it, especially given the amount of telepaths that have been inside of his head. Including a villain. I think that if he had really been gay one of them would have revealed it.

aa.jpg

This is not the only reason that doesn't add up. I don't believe in ret-cons of characters histories making them into something they never were. If you want to showcase a character of certain background or template. Then use what you already have. I can name 5 gay characters in the XM. It just speaks of lazy writing. Although it's pretty clear that Bendis mainly did it for publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Iceman and Wasp were the lowest selling books not backed by Scholastic and they gwt a relaunch from the same writers?

Definition of insnaity
    It just meant the trades did well. It's a way many people get their books. Easier to store.
    Last edited by Mia; Yesterday at 06:55 PM.
    We need a culture of responsibility. Not one of victimhood. Because if you define yourself as a victim you can never be free.- Rabbi Sacks
    We need for people to get up and say earned self-respect counts far more than un-earned self-esteem.-Rabbi Sacks