Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Of the three titles the OP mentioned, I would go with American Alien. I've never read For All Seasons and I think Secret Origins is mostly pretty boring. It's not as bad as some make it out to be, but it's also kind of unnecessary. AA at least presents some interesting takes for Clark, Jimmy, Lois, Lex and Mxy, and guests like Batman and Barbara Minerva, that are a little outside the box while still being recognizable.

Morrison's Action>everything else, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I did mention its current rarity right? I think the cheapest I found the tpb on Amazon was near $90!
    I'll definitely go with MoS but jeez DC not selling it themselves?

Edit:

Nvm its cheap for ebook but paperback not available on Barnes and Nobles. Jeez $90? People are so damn greedy.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 06-15-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I went looking for a scan of the original black & white "Origin of Superman" from the Metropolis Edition of THE AMAZING WORLD OF SUPERMAN (1973), but I couldn't find one online; however, I did find this black & white origin from the Superman Record Player (1978). Although there are some similarities, this is clearly not taken from the Metropolis Edition, but they were probably using that for reference.
    I absolutely love this. There's a beautiful symmetry to the fact that half the story is with the Kents and half is with Lara and Jor-El. I don't know if THE AMAZING WORLD OF SUPERMAN's story had that kind of symmetry or not, but I honestly think this is a completely phenomenal pop-art artifact which perfectly conveys the classic pre-Crisis (not to be confused with "original") Superman origin! Honestly, for like the whole Bronze Age the oft-retold origin was a version of this, and I kind of wish Byrne had never happened, if only because for the last twenty years there IS no "definitive" origin anymore, just a bunch of contradictory retellings, and we've gotten so used to this that there was a period where a new one came out like every two years! And a new one's coming out this year too, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    For older origins, there's a recap of Superman's Silver/Bronze Age Origin in Action Comics #500. It would make a nice companion piece to Action Comics #1000, if you bought that...

Various reprints of (the original) Superman #1 would include his original, Golden Age origin, expanded beyond the brief recap in Action Comics #1. But I'd suggest looking for Secret Origins #1 (1986), script by Roy Thomas, art by Wayne Boring (!) and Jerry Ordway. That's got the origin of the Earth-2 Superman, which is essentially the Golden Age origin plus more of the story of his life. That's really one of my favorite origin stories for Superman, as brief as it may be. And the art is gorgeous.

Also, Superboy's original origin story in More Fun Comics #101 is essentially a second stab at Superman's origin in the Golden Age. MFC #101, Superboy's first appearance, is pretty pricey; but you can get a reprint reasonably cheaply (specifically, the Millennium Edition reprint of MFC #101, or the Adventures of Superboy hardcover from a few years back, which reprints the first three years or so of Superboy's adventures).

Finally, DC Comics Presents #87 presents yet another variant—the origin of Superboy-Prime, by Elliott Maggin, Curt Swan, and Al Williamson, twenty years before he was transformed into someone unrecognizable. It's a different twist on the origin of Superboy/man, and the basic idea is revisited with great skill in Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek and Stuart Immomen.
    I think there's a really interesting difference between the Earth-2 Superman's origin, which is a product of the '70s and early '80s kinda-but-only-sorta pretending to be a thing from the '30s and '40s, and the actual '30s and '40s Superman origin material. Initially in Action # 1, neither Krypton, nor Jor-L, nor Kal-L, nor Lora, nor the Kents are named at all, there's just an alien baby who grows up to be a Herculean Superman named Clark Kent! Then in Superman # 1, Krypton and the Kent family are named, but Jor-L, Lora and Kal-L still aren't. Additionally, only Mary Kent receives a given name!

Later we've got the newspaper strip origin (written in '34 but only published in '39) where Jor-L, Lora and Kal-L are not only named, but show off their super-powers on their homeworld- but nothing of the Kents! We also get an explanation for Clark's decision to go into the newspaper business, when his lateness to an emergency leads to a death and he wants to hear about disasters sooner. Then there's the radio show, wherein Kal grows to manhood aboard his rocketship, never knowing his name, and the George Lowther novel, where Eben and Sarah Kent are named, and Eben's a sort of pathetic figure who draws lots of sympathy.

My point is that there's just a lot of variance in those early stories. And that's just the Ls and the Kents! But the Superboy one I've always thought was really charming. Sure everyone on Krypton wears weird looking outfits, but ultimately it's one of the earliest Superman origin retellings! also, I really like the bit where he outruns a deer, haha!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I did mention its current rarity right? I think the cheapest I found the tpb on Amazon was near $90!
    You can get the individual issues off Amazon or Etsy for like 2 bucks a pop. The tpb is just simply out of print at the moment.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-15-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar

The Superman Story is a reprint of his pre-Crisis origin. It's in black and white and I got it for about $5 about 13 years ago. It's probably the most comprehensive of his pre-Crisis origins. His New 52 origin from Secret Origins vol.1 is also a favorite of mine. Birthright is one of my favorites but you already have that. I'm probably one of the few people who liked Earth One (just got the Green Lantern one today!) His Golden Age origin, of course. If you can find it, and it might be kind of hard, is More Fun Comics #101. It has the first appearance of Superboy. His Golden Age origin is pretty good.
    Listen, lady! I am thirteen years old and driving a Bat-hog through the Amazon on a Tuesday morning! I am ALREADY winning!

-Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I went looking for a scan of the original black & white "Origin of Superman" from the Metropolis Edition of THE AMAZING WORLD OF SUPERMAN (1973), but I couldn't find one online; however, I did find this black & white origin from the Superman Record Player (1978). Although there are some similarities, this is clearly not taken from the Metropolis Edition, but they were probably using that for reference.

I gotta find this somewhere! This is far and away the best recap of the pre-Crisis origin I've ever seen! Sums the whole thing up in one page!
    Listen, lady! I am thirteen years old and driving a Bat-hog through the Amazon on a Tuesday morning! I am ALREADY winning!

-Robin

Standing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I absolutely love this. There's a beautiful symmetry to the fact that half the story is with the Kents and half is with Lara and Jor-El.
    There really is wonderful symmetry to the lay-out for that record player page. And that shows that it's not simply a paste-up from AMAZING WORLD OF SUPERMAN. Because whoever laid this out really had an eye for how to balance the panels.

Carmine Infantino did the lay-out for the Metropolis Edition origin. But he probably didn't lay this one out, since the record player is from 1978 and Infantino had left DC two years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The Superman Story is a reprint of his pre-Crisis origin. It's in black and white and I got it for about $5 about 13 years ago. It's probably the most comprehensive of his pre-Crisis origins.
    This was a pasted up reprint of ACTION COMICS No. 500--in a pocket-size Tor paperback. I totally missed this when it came out and was miffed--because I have such a huge love for Martin Pasko's Superman, who wrote this extravaganza. But when I heard about it on the message boards (years and years after its release), I went looking for it at the local Chapters bookstore and found multiple copies for sale, of which I bought two. An incredible deal at cover price.

I have so many copies of Byrne's six issue MAN OF STEEL and I remember my LCS had all the issues on sale for years and years on end. Bookstores and comic shops are worth checking out, because sometimes they'll have an inventory of these books that they want to unload. Some store owners are not as mercenary as online sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I absolutely love this. There's a beautiful symmetry to the fact that half the story is with the Kents and half is with Lara and Jor-El. I don't know if THE AMAZING WORLD OF SUPERMAN's story had that kind of symmetry or not, but I honestly think this is a completely phenomenal pop-art artifact which perfectly conveys the classic pre-Crisis (not to be confused with "original") Superman origin! Honestly, for like the whole Bronze Age the oft-retold origin was a version of this, and I kind of wish Byrne had never happened, if only because for the last twenty years there IS no "definitive" origin anymore, just a bunch of contradictory retellings, and we've gotten so used to this that there was a period where a new one came out like every two years! And a new one's coming out this year too, haha!
    Before Johns SO came out, on the DC message boards I half jokingly suggested that DC not give Superman an official origin and just let the readers make up their own and move on. Sort of like All Star. It worked for DC for his first decade! This way everyone gets what they want and it would force writers to stop falling back on his origin for story ideas.

-Robin

My favorite is probably the Bill Finger one from the 50's. I think Al Plastino does the art but I am not sure. After that, it's probably Action Comics 500. I don't think it's been reprinted but you can find the floppy for a reasonable price and the cover is spectacular. I love the Grant Morrison New 52 version for sheer enthusiasm but the book does feel schizophrenic. Birthright by Mark Waid and Earth One by Michael Strazinsyski both have a ton of nice touches. I think those translate best for a modern reader and show up in Man of Steel by Zack Snyder. Earth One does a nice job of highlighting Clark's intelligence and Birthright has an ending that is so unique and huge. I just don't love Byrne's Origin or For All Seasons. They are too radical for me.

Mighty Member

Morrison Action comics, Waid's Birthright, and For All Seasons make up the trifecta of good modern Superman origin. Waid and Morrison bring the functional understanding of the character and the energies that created him and Loeb brought the heart. So yeah I'd go with For All Seasons.

After that I'd look into World of Krypton more interesting psuedo Superman origin story over Man of Steel imo.
    OOOHHHHHH!! - Joe Rogan

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    My favorite is probably the Bill Finger one from the 50's. I think Al Plastino does the art but I am not sure. After that, it's probably Action Comics 500. I don't think it's been reprinted but you can find the floppy for a reasonable price and the cover is spectacular. I love the Grant Morrison New 52 version for sheer enthusiasm but the book does feel schizophrenic. Birthright by Mark Waid and Earth One by Michael Strazinsyski both have a ton of nice touches. I think those translate best for a modern reader and show up in Man of Steel by Zack Snyder. Earth One does a nice job of highlighting Clark's intelligence and Birthright has an ending that is so unique and huge. I just don't love Byrne's Origin or For All Seasons. They are too radical for me.
    This is the part where I should quantify my posts by saying that I am against the idea of him getting powers later in life. So I am a bit biased. I am a supporter of powers from day one. I think this has to do with the fact that the first ever version I was ever exposed to was the Donner movie and the scene where he lifts the truck over his head as a baby just sticks out to me. It doesn't help matters that Byrne re-created that scene in MOS only he was older. Don't get me wrong, I think Byrne had a lot of good ideas. Making Luthor a corrupt billionaire and keeping Clark's parents alive well into his career as Superman, for instance. But something about taking away his powers from day one bothers me in a way that is, quite frankly, unhealthy.

-Robin

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

I'd recommend not to read American Alien, considering how much Superman is changed to the point he is Landis. as other people have said on other forums and sites.

I recommend Morrison's Action, as Siege has said. Morrison brings the character back to his roots as a leftist social crusader and Champion of the Oppressed, it has a confident Superman who barely angsts about his role as a superhero. and it's really fun.
    Last edited by Netherman14; 06-17-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, for every you there's someone like me to fight back. And I don't give up. - Nu52 Superman

Superman Avatar drawn by Jonboy Meyers.