Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I view PT and OT as a complete saga so I actually like them both.

But if I have to choose, I would say PT because I'm more fond of it.
    This is the sequel trilogy's main issue: the story was complete. All of the villains neatly defeated, heroes going to their happy ever after...

Any kind of sequel was always going to be divisive because it had to mess with that.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

The EU originally took the story beyond the OT, although the heroes-although they suffered many setbacks and some characters were killed off (Chewbacca, some of the ROTJ rebels and a few characters originated in the book).

The Legacy comics of course took things down a similar path to the sequel trilogy, with a Resurgant Empire/Sith, the Republic reduced to rebels again etc but that took place a century or so later on, where Luke and co. presumably lived full lives.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I largely agree with this except I think Rey is an interesting character. The Last Jedi didn't really expand on her character much but there's something there that's interesting.

I 100% agree that the sequels have largely been empty. This has more to do with TLJ not really building up on what was set-up in TFA.
    I put Rey as one of the best things in the new trilogy. Rey, BB-8 and Kylo. It was everyone else that sucked it, big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    This is the sequel trilogy's main issue: the story was complete. All of the villains neatly defeated, heroes going to their happy ever after...

Any kind of sequel was always going to be divisive because it had to mess with that.
    That's "sequelitis" for you.

Sequelitis being when a sequel remakes the original inside the established universe.

A New Hope - The Force Awakens
    Evil Dead - Evil Dead 2
    Superman TM - Superman Returns
    Wrath of Khan - Nemesis, 2009, Into Darkness, Beyond (Bad guy who wants revenge against a crew member of the Enterprise and plans to use macguffin device to do it.)
    Raiders of the Lost Arc - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Or the sequel undoes the original.

Ending of ROTJ undone to facilitate TFA and TLJ. Because how else were TPTB going to spin yarn from the Star Wars IP? #sarcasm

The sequels to the original Planet of the Apes movies. Tying themselves into such a convoluted knot, that the original couldn't even happen at all.

Just about every DTV Disney sequel.

There are other examples but you get the picture. Avoid sequelitis. Avoid remakes! Do something new.

To be fair it's not like this new trilogy had to tie into the Skywalker saga. I think the scorched earth approach they took with JJ's mystery boxes might be a mistake in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I put Rey as one of the best things in the new trilogy. Rey, BB-8 and Kylo. It was everyone else that sucked it, big time.

That's "sequelitis" for you.

Sequelitis being when a sequel remakes the original inside the established universe.

A New Hope - The Force Awakens
    Evil Dead - Evil Dead 2
    Superman TM - Superman Returns
    Wrath of Khan - Nemesis, 2009, Into Darkness, Beyond (Bad guy who wants revenge against a crew member of the Enterprise and plans to use macguffin device to do it.)
    Raiders of the Lost Arc - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Or the sequel undoes the original.

Ending of ROTJ undone to facilitate TFA and TLJ. Because how else were TPTB going to spin yarn from the Star Wars IP? #sarcasm

The sequels to the original Planet of the Apes movies. Tying themselves into such a convoluted knot, that the original couldn't even happen at all.

Just about every DTV Disney sequel.

There are other examples but you get the picture. Avoid sequelitis. Avoid remakes! Do something new.
    I'd say "The Last Crusade" was probably a bit closer to RAIDERS in plot, with the same basic villains, a partial desert setting with a complex chase involving horses, several vehichles etc, the return of Marcus and Sallah....biblical (or semi-biblical) artifact.....although certainly it evokes Raiders with the return of Marion and the hanger at the beginning...and it also sort of brings back the whole father/son double act element of TLC as well, complete with motorcycle chase.

Another case is also the Metal gear Solid series, in which 2 largely had similar elements to the first "Solid" game (Which itself borrowed quite a bit from the second non-Solid title) but the repetition was actually intended as an element /deconstruction of the game's plot which suddenly went in unexpected directions (Which were tied up in a somewhat weird way two games later)....where it turned out the whole mission was created as an experiment by a supercomputer in how to control human behavior (and sort of a commentary on video games in general).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-05-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think the original trilogy is the best, with the sequels (so far) being a very close second, and the prequels at third. However, that said, I think that while the originals are the most re-watchable overall, the prequels have the best story (on paper, the execution has its flaws) and I've latched onto the sequel characters the most. So, while ANH will forever be most favorite Star Wars movie of all time and I grew up with the originals and prequels, the sequel trilogy is "my" Star Wars trilogy.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)