Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Mighty Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,841

    Default Keri Russell cast in episode 9

    She and JJ have worked together a few times before of course, mainly on Felicity and the third Mission Impossible movie.

    No real world on who she's playing, but I'm guessing maybe she's a resistance character, perhaps filling the void left by Holdo and (probably) Leia (Although Poe can certainly function as a leader that way too). Or she could be a member of the first Order I suppose, or even some shady character like DJ or a CG character (Hopefully not the last one).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  2. #2
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Rey's mom.

  3. #3
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
    Rey's mom.
    I'm torn on this subject, part of me what's what Kilo Ren said to be untrue and Rey is connected to the lineage of Star Wars some how. The other part of me wants them to stick with what is there. Though I don't like Johnson's story and think he can't write I do understand his reasoning for making Rey come from nothing.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  4. #4
    Mighty Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,626

    Default

    I kinda like the idea of Rey's parents being space John and Jane Doe.

    No one else find weird that idea so common in media that you're nobody if you're parents were nobody?

    I don't believe for a second that they are going to do that and i'm sure we will learn that Rey is the daughter of someone famous, or the living incarnation of the force itself why not considering how she's OP, but that would be something i would actually praise.

    See? I can praise the sequels, i'm not unfair.
    "Help us George Lucas, you're our only hope"

  5. #5
    Chosen One Carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    17,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    the living incarnation of the force itself why not considering how she's OP, but that would be something i would actually praise.
    That's weird, because something close to that is actually stated as fact in The Last Jedi. Rey is the Force trying to balance itself.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

  6. #6
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I kinda like the idea of Rey's parents being space John and Jane Doe.
    I'm fine with it, but I never really understood how some defenders of the Last Jedi argued that making Rey's parents no one was so groundbreaking or a great dramatic turn.

    The Skywalker's are pretty much an aberration in terms of being a family of Force users given that Jedi don't normally breed. Regardless of whether Anakin was some science experiment or not, he was literally drafted from the street. So it's not like I every had this notion of Jedi being the children of nobels or anything. And as far as I recall, it's not like Rey ever said anything about their parents being important, so for me it's not really a plot point.

    I don't think that they'll make her Rey's mom though, unless this is a real small role where it's just a flashback. Even then I really fail to see the point of dredging up to point again (or in the first place).

    My guess is that she's going to be used to connect the plot of the last film with the larger universe. For example, maybe she leads up some other faction fighting the first order, and she's trying to find the resistance. Or maybe a member of the resistance in an away mission while TLJ happened and is trying to reconnect with them.

  7. #7
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    I'm fine with it, but I never really understood how some defenders of the Last Jedi argued that making Rey's parents no one was so groundbreaking or a great dramatic turn.

    The Skywalker's are pretty much an aberration in terms of being a family of Force users given that Jedi don't normally breed. Regardless of whether Anakin was some science experiment or not, he was literally drafted from the street. So it's not like I every had this notion of Jedi being the children of nobels or anything. And as far as I recall, it's not like Rey ever said anything about their parents being important, so for me it's not really a plot point.

    I don't think that they'll make her Rey's mom though, unless this is a real small role where it's just a flashback. Even then I really fail to see the point of dredging up to point again (or in the first place).

    My guess is that she's going to be used to connect the plot of the last film with the larger universe. For example, maybe she leads up some other faction fighting the first order, and she's trying to find the resistance. Or maybe a member of the resistance in an away mission while TLJ happened and is trying to reconnect with them.
    I'd be more fine with it IF they'd not completely wrecked the old hero's life's work. "Random desert" girl swooping in to save the day just isn't interesting to me after that. And you're right that this "random hero coming from nowhere" idea is nothing new in SW. It's been a Well-established idea for DECADES, the Skywalker's are the exception to that if anything, so LF/Rian Johnson/TLJ defenders arguing that it's some "grand new subverise" idea is just, not true.

    As for Keri, I'd like to see her as a villain personally. Kylo and Hux lack credibility as villains and it's high time that we got a major female villain in one of these films (and no, Phasma does not count).

  8. #8
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    I'm fine with it, but I never really understood how some defenders of the Last Jedi argued that making Rey's parents no one was so groundbreaking or a great dramatic turn.
    I agree I've seen some reviews and comment that with her a "nobody" and broom boy at the end that Jedi or what ever the symbolism (read a lot of theories on that) can come form anywhere. But the prequels sort have made that clear anyway its nothing ground breaking and new.

    I think Russell may end up as some type of Mon Montha political leader.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •