All-New Member

Default How important are the marvel events in the Spider-Man story?

Been reading modern Spider-Man and I just got up the point where Secret Invasion takes place, it's a lot of comics to read with characters I'm not really interested in. How important are the Marvel events in the Spider-Man story? Should i just read them anyway or does it barely make a difference to the main Spider-Man story?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by oztin View Post
    Been reading modern Spider-Man and I just got up the point where Secret Invasion takes place, it's a lot of comics to read with characters I'm not really interested in. How important are the Marvel events in the Spider-Man story? Should i just read them anyway or does it barely make a difference to the main Spider-Man story?
    If you're past Civil War, I think you can skip every Marvel event you wish to (except maybe Siege - not so much that it reverberates through ASM, but it is important). Strictly speaking, Secret Invasion's result plays into Brand New Day, but I think you'll be able to pick up on what that result was through reading ASM.

Amazing Spider-Man is one of those books that stays out of event tie-ins, and mostly relegates them to their own separate mini-series. So for example, the Secret Invasion tie-in is its own separate 3 issue mini that you can completely skip if you feel like it. Others like Fear Itself, Secret Wars, Civil War II, etc. follow the same path.

I believe the only events that have directly tied into the main book since BND are Dark Reign, Original Sin, and Secret Empire, and each of those stories you can easily read without reading the rest of the main event. So I would say they normally don't impact Spider-Man all that much, and if you want to ignore them you easily can.
    Current Reading List: Spider-Gwen, Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Marvel Two-In-One, Tales Of Suspense, Champions, Despicable Deadpool

Quote Originally Posted by oztin View Post
    I usually read them anyways, but it's pretty much like Bob said. If you're on Marvel Unlimited you can just read 'em on there.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    If you're past Civil War, I think you can skip every Marvel event you wish to (except maybe Siege - not so much that it reverberates through ASM, but it is important). Strictly speaking, Secret Invasion's result plays into Brand New Day, but I think you'll be able to pick up on what that result was through reading ASM.
    No it doesn't, that's Civil War, not Secret Invasion.

Original Sin is important, as it debuted Silk, who was crucial to Spider-Verse.