Default CBR: HBO Must ‘Change Direction,’ WarnerMedia Chief Says

https://www.cbr.com/hbo-change-direction-warnermedia/

HBO, which is a part of the AT&T network, has significant adjustments ahead of it. Even though AT&T promised, as The New York Times wrote, “to take a hands-off approach to the company’s crown jewel, HBO, which has won endless Emmys while generating billions in profits.” The town hall suggested that AT&T will guide how HBO does business in this new phase.

For instance, Stankey suggested that HBO would have to become more like a streaming service to stay on top and compete. To increase subscriber base and viewer watching hours, HBO will have to focus on becoming less of niche network and more of a bigger, broader service.

“I want more hours of engagement,” he said. “Why are more hours of engagement important? Because you get more data and information about a customer that then allows you to do things like monetize through alternate models of advertising as well as subscriptions, which I think is very important to play in tomorrow’s world.”
    Translation: We want to destroy everything that makes HBO good and turn it into just another streaming service. But hey, at least we can sell customer data.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

RIP HBO

why don't they do this with Cinemax first?

From the article, you can see they are immersed in MBA buzzwords, like "monetize". So they want to use the HBO "brand" as if the name alone means they can turn it to junk and people will still want it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I didn't read the article but I can see where they would want to assess things. They are no longer the trailblazing cable network they once were...not because they are doing anything, but because so many other cable networks have caught up to them in varying degrees with their own original content, etc. FX, AMC, Showtime, and so on and so on.

I don't subscribe to HBO right now, but I do have Showtime. I'll get HBO again when I decide I'm ready for Westworld season 2 and of course for the GOT final season. HBO still has quality content, but they are no longer head and shoulders above other networks...and if they are talking about shifting gears to try and recapture some HBO magic, I get that.

I guess I should actually read the article linked above.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I think we need both the Netflix model and the HBO model.

Netflix: Throw everything out there; some of it will suck, some of it will be great. Creators who could never find an open door before finally have a chance to get their stuff out there.

HBO: Put a ton of money into a few really high-quality shows and do some really spectacular stuff.

...But then soulless suits take over, with industry buzzwords and 100% profit motive, and inevitably aim for the lowest common denominator. That's how all the once-interesting basic cable channels that came up in the 80's and 90's ended up being identical reality-show cesspits.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    I didn't read the article but I can see where they would want to assess things. They are no longer the trailblazing cable network they once were...not because they are doing anything, but because so many other cable networks have caught up to them in varying degrees with their own original content, etc. FX, AMC, Showtime, and so on and so on.

I don't subscribe to HBO right now, but I do have Showtime. I'll get HBO again when I decide I'm ready for Westworld season 2 and of course for the GOT final season. HBO still has quality content, but they are no longer head and shoulders above other networks...and if they are talking about shifting gears to try and recapture some HBO magic, I get that.

I guess I should actually read the article linked above.

Yeah, I think many people subscribe to HBO the way you do and they frankly want more viewer retention.

So instead of a few blue chip shows, they might very well go for having dozens of trendy shows, low budget shows and comedy specials airing to keep people
    subbed all the time.

The "Netflix Model".

Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

HBO itself will always look back at the Walking Dead move as one they literally could have had and made millions of dollars , countless spin-offs etc. That is one HBO has to sit and go , we had something that really was a HBO series and could have done huge. We screwed up on that. Now the network has 2 shows and one is nearly ending in Game of Thrones and the other is Westworld and its not as powerful.

HBO as of 2017 has 140+ million subscribers. Its gonna take a hit once that show ends and I think even AT&T know this. So they have to sell the HBO streaming service (HBO Go) which has 5+ million subscribers already. So they also gotta promote new shows and build the network post Game of Thrones.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    HBO itself will always look back at the Walking Dead move as one they literally could have had and made millions of dollars , countless spin-offs etc. That is one HBO has to sit and go , we had something that really was a HBO series and could have done huge. We screwed up on that. Now the network has 2 shows and one is nearly ending in Game of Thrones and the other is Westworld and its not as powerful.
    That's an *incredible* amount of hindsight talking for something that happens all time in television. Countless networks have passed up on countless successful shows. Fact is, you can take the most polished, high profile show and it could still fail; you can take the shoddiest production and it could become a massive success. Pop culture is fickle, and nobody (I mean NOBODY) ever gets it completely right, no matter how much data or marketing or polling or hype or fortune telling goes into it. Television has never been an exact science. Execs can do all the math they want with educated guesses and calculated risks and all the information they could ever need, but in the end it's ultimately a gamble, much like a coach of a pro sports team.

Besides, for all the talk about Walking Dead's success, AMC's screwed them terribly to the point of repetition, oversaturation, and constant battles with the cast and producers, whereas HBO generally gives creative leeway that allows their shows to become prestige, emmy-award winning programs. For many (like Stranger Things), AMC isn't an option because they know how the heads would try to exert creative control. Hence why other avenues like Hulu and Amazon are seeing an increase in quality television projects.

Seriously, if television execs -- if HBO execs, for that matter -- could tell the future to the accuracy that they absolutely know which show will become a huge hit, do you think they'd be working in television? Hell no, they'd be the world's most successful investors and poltiicians, by and far.
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-12-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    That's an *incredible* amount of hindsight talking for something that happens all time in television. Countless networks have passed up on countless successful shows. Fact is, you can take the most polished, high profile show and it could still fail; you can take the shoddiest production and it could become a massive success. Pop culture is fickle, and nobody (I mean NOBODY) ever gets it completely right, no matter how much data or marketing or polling or hype or fortune telling goes into it. Television has never been an exact science. Execs can do all the math they want with educated guesses and calculated risks and all the information they could ever need, but in the end it's ultimately a gamble, much like a coach of a pro sports team.

Besides, for all the talk about Walking Dead's success, AMC's screwed them terribly to the point of repetition, oversaturation, and constant battles with the cast and producers, whereas HBO generally gives creative leeway that allows their shows to become prestige, emmy-award winning programs. For many (like Stranger Things), AMC isn't an option because they know how the heads would try to exert creative control. Hence why other avenues like Hulu and Amazon are seeing an increase in quality television projects.

Seriously, if television execs -- if HBO execs, for that matter -- could tell the future to the accuracy that they absolutely know which show will become a huge hit, do you think they'd be working in television? Hell no, they'd be the world's most successful investors and poltiicians, by and far.

Well NBC wanted to turn the show into a crime show ala I , Zombie comically. Which even people now chuckle about. That was NBC. HBO comically passed on the show for the fact it had too much violence and gore. (No lie...that was the reason).

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...their_sho.html

HBO would change its stance after the shows success as we saw. Also yes its true AMC has been heavy handed with how its handled Walking Dead as a franchise. But they literally have built a network around this.

And its true no one knows what will catch on pop culture wise. No one really knows . A lot of executives get lucky and AMC did get lucky with both NBC and HBO passing here.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.