Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Which is doubly stupid for Weisman because his stuff usually only get 2 seasons and then that's it. He's never finishing Spectacular Spider-Man.
    I'm more bothered by how at the end of almost every episode, the bad guys are gloating that they accomplished their mission.

    "We lost 3/4ths of our troops, we can't finance our mission anymore, the heroes have all the momentum, and the only stronghold we have left is this one. But, we have the Star of Kookooland, so everything is going as planned..."

  2. #17
    Mighty Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm more bothered by how at the end of almost every episode, the bad guys are gloating that they accomplished their mission.

    "We lost 3/4ths of our troops, we can't finance our mission anymore, the heroes have all the momentum, and the only stronghold we have left is this one. But, we have the Star of Kookooland, so everything is going as planned..."
    I LIKED that. It showed that even though the heroes did something, they didn't stop the overarching plan the villains had. It's basically a "win the battle, but the war rages on" sort of thing, except that the heroes don't know where the actual battlefield is. Which was perfect for the series since it was focused around being sneaky and trying to outmaneuver your enemies as much as possible. Winning a fist fight is great... but sometimes the fist fight is a distraction.

  3. #18

    Default

    I like the idea of Clark being reluctant to accept Connor but it was undercut by not showing us Clark's reasoning or his pov.

  4. #19
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I like the idea of Clark being reluctant to accept Connor but it was undercut by not showing us Clark's reasoning or his pov.
    Yup. One "apple pie versus devil's food cake" talk doesn't get it done.

  5. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This was a recurring problem with YJ. As much as I loved the show, they really had to make the JL a pack of chumps from time to time to help build up the focal characters of the show. Every now and then, the writing came up with good ways to occupy the mentors (such as the Injustice Gang episode in S1), but too often, they were made to look out of touch to give The Team the spotlight (tracking down Red Tornado, for example, or not swooping in when The Team lost the Amazo components)

    To the OP's question, however, there are plenty of ways to include the mentors (including Superman) that make sense, but they would all be story dependent.
    They're not made to look like chumps anymore than every time the League isn't able to do something another team can't or simply isn't involved in the plot in the comics. If the League swooped in every time the kids failed something it would effectively be saying the team isn't worthy. You wouldn't want the Suicide Squad showing up the League on their show so why do the same when they're not the main characters?

  6. #21
    Incredible Member RepHope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm more bothered by how at the end of almost every episode, the bad guys are gloating that they accomplished their mission.

    "We lost 3/4ths of our troops, we can't finance our mission anymore, the heroes have all the momentum, and the only stronghold we have left is this one. But, we have the Star of Kookooland, so everything is going as planned..."
    Yeah Weisman loves his "All according to keikaku*" villains. I will say that any villain group with Lex Luthor on it should have elements of this, but Weisman can overuse it at points.

    (*keikaku means plan)

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I LIKED that. It showed that even though the heroes did something, they didn't stop the overarching plan the villains had. It's basically a "win the battle, but the war rages on" sort of thing, except that the heroes don't know where the actual battlefield is. Which was perfect for the series since it was focused around being sneaky and trying to outmaneuver your enemies as much as possible. Winning a fist fight is great... but sometimes the fist fight is a distraction.
    My counter would be it's just too much. Sometimes you take a setback, but you regroup and push back. That's something the show doesn't really do. I'd rather see momentum go back and forth a bit instead of just the heroes' getting these hollow victories all the way until the end.

    The way they do it on the show... a couple misdirections are fine, but that's what the show was ALWAYS about. The real surprise would be if the villains actually lost for losing instead of always win for fake losing. People complain when heroes don't face any real adversity. In this show, villains don't face much, either, until the end of the season.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 07-13-2018 at 11:38 AM.

  8. #23
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    My counter would be it's just too much. Sometimes you take a setback, but you regroup and push back. That's something the show doesn't really do. I'd rather see momentum go back and forth a bit instead of just the heroes' getting these hollow victories all the way until the end.

    The way they do it on the show... a couple misdirections are fine, but that's what the show was ALWAYS about. The real surprise would be if the villains actually lost for losing instead of always win for fake losing. People complain when heroes don't face any real adversity. In this show, villains don't face much, either, until the end of the season.
    Pretty sure The Light considers having half their mustache-twirling-coconspirators under lock and key is considered a more than a minor boo-boo.

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Pretty sure The Light considers having half their mustache-twirling-coconspirators under lock and key is considered a more than a minor boo-boo.
    But that's pretty much how the dialogue would go at the end of episodes.

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,720

    Default

    My biggest issue is the time jump. Yes, their relationship got better but we never got to see it. That makes it kind of jarring in season 2. We even got to see that he had a relationship with the Kents but what did that look like? Superboy is kind of to a point where he's a mentor himself by then so his need for Superman isn't as strong. So are all the original cast. Which makes you wonder how necessary the League will be next season. Their role was greatly diminished in season 2.
    Listen, lady! I am thirteen years old and driving a Bat-hog through the Amazon on a Tuesday morning! I am ALREADY winning!

    -Robin

  11. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Which is doubly stupid for Weisman because his stuff usually only get 2 seasons and then that's it. He's never finishing Spectacular Spider-Man.
    That's hardly his fault and is often the result of behind-the-scenes shenanigans.

  12. #27
    Incredible Member RepHope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That's hardly his fault and is often the result of behind-the-scenes shenanigans.
    It absolutely is his fault, he has to be aware that his track record for getting more than 2 seasons was bad. When the DCAU JL was airing they talked about how they wrote every season like it was their last, because they never knew if they’d get another. Weisman could do that but he doesn’t, instead he chooses to end on plot hangers that rarely ever get follow ups.

  13. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    It absolutely is his fault, he has to be aware that his track record for getting more than 2 seasons was bad. When the DCAU JL was airing they talked about how they wrote every season like it was their last, because they never knew if they’d get another. Weisman could do that but he doesn’t, instead he chooses to end on plot hangers that rarely ever get follow ups.
    All of Weisman's works have been canned due to things beyond his control. CN made all kinds of stupid mistakes with YJ's scheduling and Spectacular was cancelled due to rights issues. These are not things Weisman has control over. He shouldn't muck up his wtitjng because execs are being daft. Weisman is not the first nor the last person who uses cliffhangers.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-16-2018 at 01:33 AM.

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,406

    Default

    I find little issue with how the S2 season ended. I didn't agree with all of the writing decisions, but it's not like the season-long plot was left unresolved (compare that to a contemporary CN series such as Thundercats...). It basically told us that there's something else a-brewing. Assuming that were the end of the show (and for a lot of us, it essentially was the show's ending because not everyone is willing to revisit a show that's been off the air for years), would the show have been better if the cut out the S3 preview stuff? I don't necessarily think so.

    Since I'm in a ranting mood, I'd say the other issue I had with S3 was Beetlemania: Blue Beetle, Black Beetle, Green Beetle, Volkswagen Beetle, Michelle Beadle, Beetle Bailey... That was like half of the season's plot line, and what really got me into the show in the first place were the S1 character who were kind of pushed to the backburner.

  15. #30
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Which is doubly stupid for Weisman because his stuff usually only get 2 seasons and then that's it. He's never finishing Spectacular Spider-Man.
    I'm still bitter about that show ending... After seeing how good they did the Green Goblin mystery, the Hobgoblin mystery would have been godly. And I...really liked Black Roderick Kingsley. I really wanted to see more of him.

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm more bothered by how at the end of almost every episode, the bad guys are gloating that they accomplished their mission.

    "We lost 3/4ths of our troops, we can't finance our mission anymore, the heroes have all the momentum, and the only stronghold we have left is this one. But, we have the Star of Kookooland, so everything is going as planned..."
    I will say that this happened so much that it became laughable. It's one thing if it happened every now and then...but ALL of the time? Even the villains expressing annoyance and learning to adapt to the situation would be one thing, but every aspect being planned becomes cartoonish...However, I suppose this is a cartoon...

    Now as for the topic at hand, Superman is indeed a mixed bag. People (Batman) were trying to Push Superboy on him when Clark had nothing to do with his creation, so it was very human of him not wanting to take on a task that he isn't prepared for. That said a lot of stuff with Superman's development happened off screen. I would like to see HOW this Superman handles someone like this version of Lex Luthor, or vice versa.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •