Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 96
  1. #46
    Welcome Back Spidey Kurolegacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tornshattered View Post
    Didn't Esme redeem herself in Chaos War? Somebody didn't do their research...
    She did but you know how Marvel is with continuity these days. Only other thing I can think of is it’s a case of her coming back wrong having been driven insane by whatever method failed to restore her.

  2. #47
    Spectacular Member Alex.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by healed1337 View Post
    After reading this comic for a second time in preparation for a review on my blog, I couldn't help but notice a whole bunch of easter eggs in the art. You've got a guy taking a selfie in front of the car that the rocket man landed on. At the Xavier Institute, there are two text books being carried by students, titled "William Blake" and "Nudism 101". People have already commented on all the falafel puns. And the doctor's laptop comes from the "Dull" brand of computers. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something else I'm missing.

    Seriously, great art work all-round.
    Lot of new mutants too! Also, if you take a closer look, you'll noticed the one holding the nudism book is actually naked haha

    Also, why wearing clothes if you're invisible?

  3. #48
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    10,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by healed1337 View Post
    After reading this comic for a second time in preparation for a review on my blog, I couldn't help but notice a whole bunch of easter eggs in the art. You've got a guy taking a selfie in front of the car that the rocket man landed on. At the Xavier Institute, there are two text books being carried by students, titled "William Blake" and "Nudism 101". People have already commented on all the falafel puns. And the doctor's laptop comes from the "Dull" brand of computers. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something else I'm missing.

    Seriously, great art work all-round.
    Sophie's favorite actor is "Taylor Kirch" (IE, Taylor Kitsch, who played Gambit in X-Men Origins). There's the pictures on Gabby's wall that reference a couple covers of ANW (I already mentioend those as well).

    That's what I love about Cabal. Every time you look at a panel you notice a new little joke, gag, or reference.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

    Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.


    Pull List
    X-23 Domino X-Men Red

  4. #49
    A Gentle Woman Mia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Corner Office
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This book has no business looking as good as it does. If only the main books had an artist of this caliber. I was impressed
    Shocking isn't it? . I also think it really helps that Tamaki seems to have done her homework, gave the book some thought and really seems to like/respect the character.

    Had a quick read and found that I really enjoyed it a lot. The only thing I'm not crazy about is Laura doing 'teenage girl' speak. I prefer her being a bit more formal, it differentiates her from the all the American high school/college girl. But that's it.

    This is what I expected from a book featuring X-23. With her skills, intelligence,background and maturity. She comes across more cerebral...a thinker. Not a man in drag or a female wrestler who thinks that all problems need to be solved with her fists and spewing profanity. I liked the scene where she was discussing her next move with Beast. And it seems that thus far I got my wish, Tamaki seems to be leaving most of the humour/wine liners to Gabby. She sounds more like a twelve year old kid as opposed to a character who is just trying t be funny. In all the book came across like a story not just zingers, and copy and paste from a B list film. I'll be curious to see the sale numbers.
    Last edited by Mia; 07-11-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    • “[The women on Suits] know who they are & are at ease in their own skin. And they don’t put up with nonsense from anyone.” Katherine Heigl
    • “Your experience was the worst side of science…This work created you, and the world is better with you in it.”- Beast to X-23

  5. #50
    Incredible Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    She did but you know how Marvel is with continuity these days. Only other thing I can think of is it’s a case of her coming back wrong having been driven insane by whatever method failed to restore her.
    To be fair I don't think anyone who was temporarily resurrected in Chaos War (and then resurrected another way later) remembers that event.

    It's not like Vision has mentioned it, or Doctor Druid, or Mar-Vell when he temporarily came back in AVX.
    Banshee hasn't brought it up though to be fair he was a Horseman for a while.

  6. #51
    Welcome Back Spidey Kurolegacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    To be fair I don't think anyone who was temporarily resurrected in Chaos War (and then resurrected another way later) remembers that event.

    It's not like Vision has mentioned it, or Doctor Druid, or Mar-Vell when he temporarily came back in AVX.
    Banshee hasn't brought it up though to be fair he was a Horseman for a while.
    I don’t remember if Hercules undid the damage from Chaos War or the event as a whole back when he fixed things at the end.

  7. #52
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,353

    Default

    Great first issue. Cabal's art is so freaking good, it could have floated the issue single-handedly but the script was every bit equal to the art.

  8. #53
    Astonishing Member Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    I for one am pretty happy with the Cuckoos going "back to basics". Their recent developments didn't add much and actually made them less unique in relation to other telepaths.
    A pretty cool issue all around. I'm not sold on the new costume and old codename, but they're not deal breakers.

  9. #54
    Spectacular Member Alex.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    190

    Default

    If you put Cuckoos symbols together, you form a classic golden X. Lovely, honestly.

  10. #55
    Astonishing Member TheCape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    3,578

    Default

    I eco the sentiments of everyone in this thread, good start and interested on seeing more.

  11. #56
    Extraordinary Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,044

    Default

    so no one caught the FF easter egg?

  12. #57
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Americana
    Posts
    3,484

    Default

    This was pretty interesting. I have no real dog in the "don't call her X-23" stuff it does not bother me but I do wish there was a canonical explanation or the shift does feel a bit abrupt

    Gabby wasn't SUPER obnoxious and that in itself is a major accomplishment by the author

    Don't like villainizing the Cuckoos and hoping that's not what happens. Like how Gabby was relating her and Laura to the Cuckoos, hoping the two groups can bond and become allies once they get past the initial conflict and misunderstandings

    Yeah the Cuckoos got regressed just like with Laura's title I suppose

    They do look cool this way though creepy but cool

    Well already I'm far more invested in this since it seems more like a real X-book unlike ANW which was too lost in the greater MU for me to care about
    Chris Claremont, Peter David, Mike Carey, Cullen Bunn = canon. Others = fanfic.

  13. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Sophie's favorite actor is "Taylor Kirch" (IE, Taylor Kitsch, who played Gambit in X-Men Origins). There's the pictures on Gabby's wall that reference a couple covers of ANW (I already mentioend those as well).

    That's what I love about Cabal. Every time you look at a panel you notice a new little joke, gag, or reference.
    This may be the best one yet. XD

    This Week's Comics: Euthanauts #1, X-Men Red #6, Sleepless v 1, Animosity v 3

  14. #59
    Amazing Member Leirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Wow. This art is awesome. I hate how they test awesome artists in the secondary x books and then take them away. I would like to know if giving each cuckoo a shirt with one of the mayor greek godesses was an initiative of the artist or it was in the script.

    Also, Esme is manipulating them. "Why did we get all vanilla?" "Because we like vanilla, Mindee" "not all of us, celeste". Of the three, Mindee is the one most close to Sophie and Celeste the one most close to Esme. You can see it in almost every interaction they share. Truly stellar writing, here.
    Last edited by Leirus; 07-12-2018 at 03:40 AM.

  15. #60
    Astonishing Member TheCape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    3,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    This is great .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •