View Poll Results: What's your final verdict on James Robinson's Run?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    2 5.26%
  • ★ ★ ★ ★

    1 2.63%
  • ★ ★ ★

    5 13.16%
  • ★ ★

    15 39.47%
  • 11 28.95%
  • I didn't read it.

    4 10.53%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43
  1. #31
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Rule #1 re Sideling/Replacing the Title Charater (you know, the character most people have been buying the series to read): the story better be GOOD.

    No one wants to feel like they've wasted their time and money reading an unenjoyable comic. I tend to be a little more forgiving if I already like the character(s). But, if they are going to downplay and/or sideline the character(s) I already like to showcase some other character(s), then it better be worth it. Initially, I wasn't big on Morrison killing off Bruce. Bruce is Batman, after all. Nevertheless, Morrison won me over, because it was a good story. That's the real difference.

    I tried to give this run a chance, but, each issue was just more painful than enjoyable. Another long-lost brother trope wasn't needed; the poor writing only made it worse. Thank the Dark Gods for taking him away. And thanks again to Patty and Gal and Chris and co for a WW for the ages even when the comics are less than wonderful!

  2. #32
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Rule #1 re Sideling/Replacing the Title Charater (you know, the character most people have been buying the series to read): the story better be GOOD.

    No one wants to feel like they've wasted their time and money reading an unenjoyable comic. I tend to be a little more forgiving if I already like the character(s). But, if they are going to downplay and/or sideline the character(s) I already like to showcase some other character(s), then it better be worth it. Initially, I wasn't big on Morrison killing off Bruce. Bruce is Batman, after all. Nevertheless, Morrison won me over, because it was a good story. That's the real difference.

    I tried to give this run a chance, but, each issue was just more painful than enjoyable. Another long-lost brother trope wasn't needed; the poor writing only made it worse. Thank the Dark Gods for taking him away. And thanks again to Patty and Gal and Chris and co for a WW for the ages even when the comics are less than wonderful!
    Yes.

    I wont deny thete were complaints from we Aarons story on Mighty Thor where Jane has the hammer but at least the story was solid.

    The big difference here is that I felt in Thor some characters got nerfed to make Jane look good. Here Dians is at full power and just isnt good enough.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  3. #33
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    My point was more that other creators wanted to tap into Azzarello's world building, which just isn't the same as what we've seen with Rucka, where the following creators have more or less ignored his world. The only major characteristic of Rucka's work that is now shared by all follow-up creators is the renewed emphasis (kind of) on Steve Trevor, which may have more to do with the film than Rucka's work.
    Robinson used Rucka's Amazons, mentioned Sasha and Etta, and followed up on the plot threads involving Cheetah, Veronica Cale and Dr. Cyber (horribly, but they were there). Fontana featured Etta in her arc and resolved Etta's bitterness towards Diana for losing Barbara. Ares is still imprisoned, Robinson had Grail end up in the same prison as him that was featured in "the Truth," and Wilson will actually address how Ares will be free and what it will mean for Themyscira. Rucka's take on the Cheetah and her motivation for wiping out Gods is being used in Snyder's JL. And Liam Sharp's design her is being used consistently, right down to the "10 Fastest Speedsters" splash page.

    Where have the following creators ignored his world? If anything, the continuity between titles and changing of hands on the main title is tighter than it ever was in the New 52.

    Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Rule #1 re Sideling/Replacing the Title Charater (you know, the character most people have been buying the series to read): the story better be GOOD.

    No one wants to feel like they've wasted their time and money reading an unenjoyable comic. I tend to be a little more forgiving if I already like the character(s). But, if they are going to downplay and/or sideline the character(s) I already like to showcase some other character(s), then it better be worth it. Initially, I wasn't big on Morrison killing off Bruce. Bruce is Batman, after all. Nevertheless, Morrison won me over, because it was a good story. That's the real difference.
    There's also the fact that Morrison replaced Bruce with Dick Grayson, a character who has been around almost as long and has more than earned the right to be Bruce's successor after putting in that many years, and is hugely popular. Jason is not even in the same galaxy as Dick Grayson. This would be like replacing Bruce with an heretofore unknown long lost brother or sister who was bland as all get out, it wouldn't go down well. And they would never even attempt it with Batman.

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,268

    Default

    I'm pleased that his era of the Maiden of Mediocrity is over, so hopefully we can get back to an era of the Woman of Wonder.

  5. #35
    Lone Angel Chris
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I am rather disappointed in this run on Wonder Woman. I had just got around to appreciating the advancements DC allowed Wonder Woman to make under the new 52 banner where she started having some really strong showings outside her own book [albeit the relationship with Superman, the father Zeus origin adaptation, and murderous Amazons were not my cup of tea]. I was even somewhat intrigued by the idea of a twin brother as setup by Geoff Johns in the Darkseid War storyline, but the payoff in Wonder Woman’s book left much to be desired for me! Firstly, if this was to be a secret origin for Jason, then let’s do a limited series and then incorporate the brother into the main book as we would Supergirl in Superman or one of the Robins in Batman. While we have had others assume the role of “Wonder Woman” [or the main champion] in this title before, Diana [like the other members of the trinity where such substitutions occurred] would make an awesome showing towards the end of such stories proving why she is the single champion of her title. Unfortunately, it seemed more like the limited series that Jason should have had was the Wonder Woman title and Wonder Woman was on hiatus for the last year or so! Secondly, where was the big payoff for Jason being the first man to set foot onto Paradise Island [as setup in Darkseid War]? Wasn’t there supposed to be some epic destiny tied to that or was the Dark Gods story supposed to be it? Either case, I was not blown away by the Dark Gods. They seemed promising in all the promotional verbiage, but the actual story felt like a filler until the main event.

    Then you have all this build up for Darkseid to seek out the Amazons to make them his greatest army for retaking his former glory on Apokolips and he changes them to mindless para-demons?!! Did I wake up in Bizarro World or something? Since when did that make any sense for acquiring the greatest army in the world [or universe-since Darkseid was specifically seeking them out]?!! If anything, I thought the motivation would have been to make them his new Female Furies like he did of Wonder Woman back in Final Crisis! Moreover, Grail appeared to be only a shadow of what she was in Justice League and far less of a credible counterpart for Diana. After all, was it not Grail who shattered Diana’s bracers in Darkseid Wars, indicating that Diana was stronger without them?!!

    I just expected so much more, especially from James Robinson! Starman, Batman, Justice League, Earth 2, etc were all some solid titles under him, but for Wonder Woman it just seems like his heart was not into the title character, who was treated more like a guest star in her own book.

    Regards,
    Lone Angel Chris
    "Awaiting the return of the REAL Donna Troy in the WW Mythos!"

  6. #36
    Fantastic Member BrianWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    275

    Default

    The thing about this run is that you always think the bar couldn't get any lower but, by god, it sure tried. Issue by issue, this run certainly did its utmost to give us its absolute worst shot on just about every level.

    Now that it's all said and done...I'd say it sits below the Finches, but still above Picoult in terms of most badly-written WW run ever. So........kudos for not being the actual worst...?

  7. #37
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    The thing about this run is that you always think the bar couldn't get any lower but, by god, it sure tried. Issue by issue, this run certainly did its utmost to give us its absolute worst shot on just about every level.

    Now that it's all said and done...I'd say it sits below the Finches, but still above Picoult in terms of most badly-written WW run ever. So........kudos for not being the actual worst...?
    Well I disagree with that.

    The Finches run was more painful, I think, just briefer.

    And Picoult in undervalued. I would take Tom Tresser over Jason any day of the week
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  8. #38
    Mighty Member richalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Chi
    Posts
    1,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well I disagree with that.

    The Finches run was more painful, I think, just briefer.

    And Picoult in undervalued. I would take Tom Tresser over Jason any day of the week
    I dunno. Diana not knowing how to pump gas or walk through a turnstyle were pretty bad. lol.

    But yeah, I agree, the Finches' run was horrible.
    Richard Alexander

  9. #39
    Fantastic Member BrianWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    275

    Default

    The thing with Finch (and also Picoult, on a different degree) is that you kinda have to blame DC themselves a little bit for the whole shebang, where they really should have known better than to toss a completely inexperienced writer onto a book like this and expect anything other than a quarter-baked disaster. So like, I know the run was quantifiably awful, but I can't help but to give Finch a little bit of leeway about it, simply because she probably shouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

    But...with Robinson? He's not some green intern. He's had decades of experience under his belt on some career-defining books. By all rights it should've made perfect sense for DC to place a seasoned, qualified DC Comics writer on a Wonder Woman book. The fact that it turned out the way it did...man, when Robinson falls, he falls hard, and it sucks but there's really only one person to blame here.

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    I dunno. Diana not knowing how to pump gas or walk through a turnstyle were pretty bad. lol
    In Picoult's defense, that sort of thing is on the editor. Unless she was throwing her weight around and felt it was vitally important Diana be baffled by cappuccino and credit cards, the editor should've...well, did his job.
    "Never place your trust in us. We're only human. Inevitably, we will disappoint you."


  11. #41
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Why does the DC universe feel so small? These dark gods are a huge threat to the entire world but only two people were fighting to stop it? I understand the league was incapacitated, but where was every other hero, particularly magic based, to help Wonder Woman?

  12. #42
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,045

    Default

    That's an aspect of the shared universe that doesn't bother me anymore. Once you start down that rabbit hole, no solo story makes sense because you always get the question of why can't she/he call X hero for help. Its a symptom of the shared universe concept that, more often than not for the solo adventures of heroes to work at all, mostly just has to be ignored and allow for that suspension of disbelief. Outside of ending the shared concept in its entirety there is no cure for it, as its not really feasible to spend so much time all the time making up reasons as to why the star is going at their current problem alone.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  13. #43
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    I dunno. Diana not knowing how to pump gas or walk through a turnstyle were pretty bad. lol.

    But yeah, I agree, the Finches' run was horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    In Picoult's defense, that sort of thing is on the editor. Unless she was throwing her weight around and felt it was vitally important Diana be baffled by cappuccino and credit cards, the editor should've...well, did his job.
    Honestly, that stuff didn't bother me that much. I thought it was a bit odd, but it didn't seem like something to get worked up over.

    Contrasting with the current run, Tom was smart and competent but never ever overshadowed Diana. I've said it many times, but movie Steve is a LOT more like Tom Tresser in Volume 3 than he is like the straight laced versions is Steve we are given.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •