View Poll Results: Can Superman be a religion?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I idolize him already!

6 31.58%
  • No, he's just a man.

13 68.42%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I figured since we were posting on the message board that we all were members of the Church of Superman. I know I visit here more than church.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I figured since we were posting on the message board that we all were members of the Church of Superman. I know I visit here more than church.
    Me too! :P

I thought about what my question for this thread could be, but I felt 'Can Superman be a religion' was more open for discussion than 'Is he your religion?' I just wanted to hear other big Superman fans opinions. I think it's a fascinating subject that has been part of his mythos.

I think Superman can definitely inspire many people to see him like an angel or a kind god. Like someone so beyond our imagination. He probably has no choice if people decide he is worthy or worship. Or perhaps people admire him so much they can't help but love him intensely and do anything for him. Of course some will take advantage of that like it happens with any religion or cult.

OK let's have fun and run with it and being raised Catholic that's where I'm coming from.

Kal-El, Jon, and Jor-El are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

Lois is the Holy Mother having the miracle child while away from home.

Zod is "Lucifer" sent to "Hell" the Phantom Zone.

Confessionals are called Fortresses of Solitude.

Kandor is Noah's Ark.

The Justice League are the Apostles.

Anyone want to add to it?

I don't think that a religion based on Superman would be akin to monotheism. For starter, it is known that he has a cousin/related kindred in Supergirl, and peoples also knows that Kryptonian aren't perfect (Zod, Cyborg-Superman from New 52, etc.). I also think that Superman isn't a figure of Revelation, but of ENlightenment (if he inspires peoples; he doesn't inspire me in his classic version at all, for instance).

In that regard, a Supermanist religion would be, IMHO, closer to Buddhism : there isn't a God or a Prophet handing down a set of laws and a creed dictated down by some mythical divinity, but instead a man achieving a certain understanding of the Universe and trying to spread his message. And said religion would probably evolve kind of like Buddhism :

• A close-knit community enlarging rapidly while the founder is alive/here
    • First debates and first agreed-upon creed after this death/departure, as in peoples can't become like Buddha/Superman but they can free themselves by becoming Arhant/Better men
    • Over time, schism between those who think that Mankind can't ever pretend to be like Buddha/Superman and thus who thinks that they can become Buddha and Boddhistava/Superman and Super-heroes
    • More esoteric/mystical cults about how to achieve the goal of the religion like Tantric Buddhism, with colorful and "magical" ceremonies, mysticism and all

But that's just my take on it

There has been.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I'm curious, what do you think? If he was real, I can see why some people would worship him. Basically, I kind of worship him too. I don't pray to him, but I see him as a great ideal. As someone full of compassion and kindness and everything wonderful. Kinda like Jesus.

This character was a great example and inspiration for me growing up. I never had a father, but Superman was always there in my life to remind me that we can be great people and what's right and wrong.

I can see his myth and legend continuing for many, many years to come.
    So you mean a religion in the real world, not a religion within the DCU, right?

Because there's been plenty of cults that worship Clark in the DCU. He really doesn't like them. And not just because they usually end up twisting his message around and perverting it into something ugly. The last thing Clark wants is to be seen as a higher power. He's just a guy, doing his best to help his neighbors. He just happens to be a remarkable guy who considers the entire planet his neighbors, but still.

In the real world, I don't think Superman could be a religion. Superman is a philosophy. Now, someone *could* build a Church of El, gather enough members to be legally classified as a religion, etc etc. But most organized religions tend to run with the concept (whether its intended or not) that they offer "the way" while other spiritual options are somehow lesser, or wrong. No offense meant to religion, but that's what ends up happening.

And that's not Superman. Superman is for everyone. He's for christians, Muslims, pagans, atheists, those crazy people who worship the spaghetti monster.....everyone. Religion draws lines in the sane between "us" and "them" and Superman is all about breaking down those barriers so people recognize that there is no "them" there's only "us" no matter what we look like or where we're from. Philosophy tends to be more welcoming to all. I mean, no one ever said "Okay, only these people over here can follow Kant, and the people over there? They're gonna be classic Plato people. And they're gonna argue and go to war over who was right."

I joke about worshiping at the alter of El, and Morrison has made a similar joke, and obviously the character means a lot to all of us here. But I think of Superman as a philosophy, not a faith.

Of course, a few thousand years from now who knows what our descendants will think? They might look at the ruins of our homes, uncovered after untold years, and see all the statues, comics, clothes, and the amusement park rides and movies, and believe that we worshiped these things. Who knows? Maybe way back in the day, Zeus and the Greek gods weren't actually worshiped, they were the ancient version of Game of Thrones; everyone's favorite entertainment venue, and the modern world has completely misunderstood what those statues and stories were really about.

EDIT: For my money, Superman is still a better school of thought than any organized religion. Morrison might have been being facetious when he said Superman is the greatest idea the human race has ever had, but I actually think the statement is (probably) correct. I'd rather follow the example Superman provides than put stock in any organized faith (again, no offense to the faithful. I'm not judging, just speaking of my own preferences).

Voted "yes" in the poll. Superman is only a man....in the comics. In the real world he's an idea. And it wouldn't take much, really, to turn fandom into faith.
    Last edited by Ascended; Yesterday at 08:30 AM.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

Bridge Four!

Astonishing Member

In-universe a religion arose around Superman post-Crisis. It had its big split during Reign when there were 4 Supermen to choose from, though I don't think anyone worshiped Connor.

There was also a religion established around the Linda Danvers Supergirl, who to be fair was a literal angel in-universe.

In Mark Waid's The Kingdom a boy who is saved by Superman grows up thinking he was saved specifically to spread Superman's gospel.

In the real world people have been trying to make Jedi a real religion, so I guess why not.

@ Ascended: "So you mean a religion in the real world, not a religion within the DCU, right?"

Yes.

" EDIT: For my money, Superman is still a better school of thought than any organized religion. Morrison might have been being facetious when he said Superman is the greatest idea the human race has ever had, but I actually think the statement is (probably) correct. I'd rather follow the example Superman provides than put stock in any organized faith (again, no offense to the faithful. I'm not judging, just speaking of my own preferences)."

I agree. I'm pretty much not into organized religion. Superman is a great philosophy actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    OK let's have fun and run with it and being raised Catholic that's where I'm coming from.

Kal-El, Jon, and Jor-El are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

Lois is the Holy Mother having the miracle child while away from home.

Zod is "Lucifer" sent to "Hell" the Phantom Zone.

Confessionals are called Fortresses of Solitude.

Kandor is Noah's Ark.

The Justice League are the Apostles.

Anyone want to add to it?
    Lex the antichrist?

trying to think of more. :P

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    In-universe a religion arose around Superman post-Crisis. It had its big split during Reign when there were 4 Supermen to choose from, though I don't think anyone worshiped Connor.

There was also a religion established around the Linda Danvers Supergirl, who to be fair was a literal angel in-universe.

In Mark Waid's The Kingdom a boy who is saved by Superman grows up thinking he was saved specifically to spread Superman's gospel.

In the real world people have been trying to make Jedi a real religion, so I guess why not.
    yeah and Superman is even more breathtaking and fantastical than the Jedi..

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Generally though, I think worshipping anyone or anything is unhealthy.
    same opinion.
    Waiting for the first Damian girlfriend.
    Cass is with the Outsiders. Waiting for one comic with Steph.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    same opinion.
    But it happens every day all around the world, though. It's human nature to want to believe in something greater than ourselves. A savior.

I love this scene in BvS. It's realistic, imo.

bbOJJOr.jpg