Astonishing Member

Default Margot Kidder died from 'self-inflicted drug and alcohol overdose'

Margot Kidder‘s death has been ruled a suicide. Park County (Mont.) Coroner Richard Wood confirmed to the Associated Press that Kidder died “as a result of a self-inflicted drug and alcohol overdose.” The actress was found by a friend in her Livingston, Mont., home on May 13. She was 69.

Kidder is best remembered for playing Lois Lane opposite Christopher Reeve in the Superman films. The Canadian-born actress had long been open about drug and alcohol addictions, which she said partially triggered her very public breakdown in 1996. The screen icon was equally open about her bipolar diagnosis.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/superma...235307515.html

The Superman curse has struck again. It killed Christopher Reeve and George Reeves

First Carrie Fisher. Then Ms. Kidder. Why did so many celebs take drugs and drink alcohol?
    Last edited by Zetsubou; 08-08-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Its sad that in the end she couldn't completely overcome her demons. But such is the case for a lot of people and especially those with mental illness.

As far as celebs, drugs and alcohol go...its so prevelant because its so easy to obtain. I mean, its not like your average person cannot obtain it when motivated, obviously they can because alcohol and drug abuse is rampant among all classes of people. But at the same time it is just that much easier for celebs because of the money and the lifestyle in Hollywood. Its all there at a snap of the finger, basically. But again its not something just limited to celebrities. Its an all walks of life thing, unfortunately, and once hooked, people go through hell and high water to get it even if the means is no longer easy. Hell alcoholism runs pretty rampant in my own family. Thankfully it never touched me or any of my immediate family but it has a strong presence on one side. It blows to see, quite frankly.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

"Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

Incredible Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Well, Carrie Fisher and Margot Kidder suffered from mental illness, so drugs and alcohol were a coping mechanism for them.

It's definitely unfortunate news but not surprising given Margot's history. I figured it would be something in line with an overdose.

As far as a curse...I don't believe in that stuff. Christopher Reeve suffered a tragic accident, but the other two killed themselves (conspiracy theories not withstanding relating to George Reeves). There are a plethora of Superman actors who appear to be doing just fine with their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Well, Carrie Fisher and Margot Kidder suffered from mental illness, so drugs and alcohol were a coping mechanism for them.

It's definitely unfortunate news but not surprising given Margot's history. I figured it would be something in line with an overdose.

As far as a curse...I don't believe in that stuff. Christopher Reeve suffered a tragic accident, but the other two killed themselves (conspiracy theories not withstanding relating to George Reeves). There are a plethora of Superman actors who appear to be doing just fine with their lives.
    I don't buy the Superman curse one bit, just because curses aren't real and there's really not enough tragedy in the Superman world in general to say that there's a curse. So many of the main Superman actors are either alive or died of old age. Poltergeist, on the other hand. Each movie(not counting the remake) had actors die during or shortly after filming. Dominique Dunne, Will Sampson, Julian Beck, Heather O'Rourke. Still doesn't make curses real, but it's still pretty unsettling.
    Last edited by Last Son; 08-08-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, a lot of people blessed with Superman roles have lived long lives, there are the unfortunates that overshadow all of that though, like George, Margot, Chris, and Allison Mack.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

Talking about this curse.. I heard that after his accident Reeve tried to suicide but his wife make him change his mind..
    Waiting for the first Damian girlfriend.
    Cass is with the Outsiders. Waiting for one comic with Steph.

Phyllis Coates, Noel Neill, Jack Larson lived to ripe old ages. Helen Slater, Dean Cain, Teri Hatcher, Tom Welling, Erica Durance, Kristin Kreuk, Brandon Routh, Henry Cavill seem to be doing well and getting work so far.

Very sad news. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Phyllis Coates, Noel Neill, Jack Larson lived to ripe old ages.
    Phyllis Coates is still alive - the only main member of the cast who still is.
    You can see my work-in-progress Superman fansite here: http://superman.nfshost.com/index.php Info, reviews, graphics, media, and more!