Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 76 to 83 of 83
  1. #76
    All-New Member Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    It is interesting that Suicide Squad gets swept under the rug just because the critics and some of the audience hated it. It was also a movie that featured four female leads, two white, one black and one Asian.
    Simple. Disney is 100x more powerful than Warner Brothers

  2. #77
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    It is interesting that Suicide Squad gets swept under the rug just because the critics and some of the audience hated it. It was also a movie that featured four female leads, two white, one black and one Asian.
    SS is not in my top 50 best CBM. But if someone asks what is the most diverse CBM, I'd answer SS hands down. Minorities and females. C'mon pay some respects to SS! King of diversity right here!

  3. #78
    Astonishing Member Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I like the suggestion that the Academy should have someone in a stereotypical rich person outfit (IE- Mr. Burns, the Monopoly man) read the winners.

    "And the illiterate hicks have chosen..."
    To be honest, I suspect that would just drop the ratings even more. I don't know for sure if it had an impact but I heard about one of the recent Oscars shows where they actively bashed the MCU. That probably accomplished nothing but, "So, not only are all the nominated movies ones I haven't seen and have no interest in seeing but now they are actively bashing the movies I like. I'm done with this."
    Superman was a beacon to the world.

  4. #79
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Been wracking my brain unsuccessfully for days trying to understand how I got the idea it was not nominated for Best Picture. Somehow I was convinced it was an urban legend.

    Just shows that even the dumbest among us can be dumber than we imagine.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  5. #80
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    It is interesting that Suicide Squad gets swept under the rug just because the critics and some of the audience hated it. It was also a movie that featured four female leads, two white, one black and one Asian.
    ...Because it was kinda bad?

  6. #81

    Default

    There was a time when the films that did the best were films that Hollywood took risks on. Godfather made a ton of money for example, the original Star Wars was a huge gambit as well. Rocky was a risk but they took a chance and it paid off.

    Then studios decided it was safer to recycle IP’s on existing material over and over again and you got a bunch of formulaic films with similar plots with serviceable acting and that became the blockbuster films for the year and the riskier films became low budget affairs that most people won’t see because they won’t get the same type of release. Now you have a bunch of people bitching that films they never saw for nominated over films they did.

  7. #82
    All-New Member Marvelgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post

    Then studios decided it was safer to recycle IP’s on existing material over and over again and you got a bunch of formulaic films with similar plots with serviceable acting and that became the blockbuster films for the year and the riskier films became low budget affairs that most people won’t see because they won’t get the same type of release. Now you have a bunch of people bitching that films they never saw for nominated over films they did.
    Someday we could get back to that if the formulaic movies with similar plots starts flopping. I already value Logan and The Dark Knight getting real Oscar recognition over Black Panther should Black Panther score in this lame category.

  8. #83
    Astonishing Member Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Someday we could get back to that if the formulaic movies with similar plots starts flopping. I already value Logan and The Dark Knight getting real Oscar recognition over Black Panther should Black Panther score in this lame category.
    The category itself is absolutely lame. However, the issue for me is that there have been lame movies that won the Oscar simply for having the "right message" or being in a genre that wins Oscars, auto-wins in some cases. The problem for "Black Panther" is that it has the "right message" but it's in the wrong genre to win an Oscar. Is it really the best movie of the year? Does it really deserve the Best Picture Oscar? No and no. But that has never stopped the Academy before. It's message and genre that influence them or whatever backroom wheeling and dealing. So I might as well just cheer for the movie I want to see win and be done with it.
    Superman was a beacon to the world.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •