Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    how far apart were 1 and 2 released? would the ending of 1 have enough time to filter towards the sales of 2...effectively acting as “marketing”?
    Two weeks. Final orders for number two were already placed before issue one came out.

Marvel not publicizing the MJ surprise signals to me that it is not going to stick. That and they didn't think it would boost sales.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    how far apart were 1 and 2 released? would the ending of 1 have enough time to filter towards the sales of 2...effectively acting as “marketing”?
    Two weeks. Final orders for number two were already placed before issue one came out.

Marvel not publicizing the MJ surprise signals to me that it is not going to stick. That and they didn't think it would boost sales.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Those are not good numbers at all for Scarlet Spider and RYV. Yikes. I can definitely see where a post Spider-geddon relaunch/cancellation spree would be considered for everything not ASM or Venom. Strong launch for ASM - looks like #2 was ordered presuming most of Slott's readers would stick around for a bit. It'll probably find its level around issues 5-7, though, as word of mouth and personal taste filter into pull lists.
    Spider-Man spinoffs have a very 50/50 track record.

It's good for Spider-Gwen that she ended on 17K though rather then something even lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Considering the last few times they heavily publicized a status quo change with MJ turned out to be busts, I'm more liable to think the lack of promotion is a good thing .

Although in a world where the Big Two spoil and publicize twists out the wazoo, it is kind of interesting that they didn't market the ending of ASM #1 (the fifth) more considering how big a deal it should be.

Heck, Bleeding Cool didn't even leak it and that's their thing .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Wrong on both counts.

Marvel wanted this to be a genuine surprise, rather than hyping it in advance and taking the wind out of #1's biggest twist, and Peter and MJ will be a couple for the foreseeable future. And I'm very sure they knew that putting Peter and MJ back together would result in sales.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Wrong on both counts.

Marvel wanted this to be a genuine surprise, rather than hyping it in advance and taking the wind out of #1's biggest twist, and Peter and MJ will be a couple for the foreseeable future. And I'm very sure they knew that putting Peter and MJ back together would result in sales.
    I agree
    Some people are so pessimistic and negative to the point that it gets very irritating.
    I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson.

This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

http://www.facebook.com/SpiderManMaryJane/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I agree
    Some people are so pessimistic and negative to the point that it gets very irritating.
    To be fair, I don't blame them. It's been over a decade since Peter and MJ were really together, with only ultra-niche alternate universes still flying the flag for the marriage, and it's still early days for their renewed relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Wrong on both counts.

Totally agree. I hope this is a harbinger of things to come for the way Marvel does things as it made for a much more rewarding read and I am tired of the way Marvel has endlessly hyped every 2 or 3 issues (and Slott would do the same through social media) for a fairly minor development. Maybe this part of the CB Cebulski effect; I don't know but I like it!
    It reminds of the olden days when the end of Thunderbolts #1 was a genuine surprise or, going back even further, when Stern reintroduced MJ early on in his run. Lastly, I think Marvel is smart enough to figure out that MJ's return will result in increased sales in more than just one issue so there was no need to overly hype/spoil the reveal is #1/#802.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

regarding retailers ordering less I know that Forbidden Planet in London (arguably Londons biggest comic book store) did not order enough to meet demand as they had sold out of it within 24 hours when I popped in to pick up a copy, I didn't see any #2's when I picked up issue 3 either so likely they never re-ordered (lots of #1s though)