Page 2685 of 2685 FirstFirst ... 1685218525852635267526812682268326842685
Results 40,261 to 40,267 of 40267
    Spectacular Member

The standards for black writers are higher when writing black characters. That's why the frustration is higher. Hudlin was a young writer that championed Wakanda while making Storm second to her King. It should have been better like Aquaman and Mera. It wasn't. You can post whatever scans you want but all they do is back me up and support my thesis that Storm was his supporting character. I get that's how some prefer it but I never will. We are better than that.

In case anyone hadn't noticed there are literally more pages with worse comments about the X-men and Guggenheim than the marriage. There are multiple threads talking about how horrible the X-men are. 4 pages of talking about the marriage are nothing compared to Storm's token status in the X-men right now.
    Last edited by Chaos Reigns; Yesterday at 04:13 PM.

Astonishing Member

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...e-jeff-lemire/

“Certain books like Moon Knight total freedom, they never gave me any notes and you can kinda see it in the work, it’s the best thing I did….

…. the X-Men stuff was… Kind of a nightmare, to the honest. Really difficult. I came into [it] and they already had storylines in place I had to use that I probably wouldn’t come up with myself, and I felt editorial was very restricting in what they wanted. And too many notes. And then you start second-guessing yourself. It’s just not a good situation. That wasn’t a great experience, but on the flip side, doing Moon Knight was really fun.” ~Jeff Lemire

Okay, you guys, didn't I always posit that I believe there was some kind of editorial mandate to write Storm down when Jean is on the lineup with her? For this to happen so consistently with Ororo's character, Lemire just removed virtually all doubt for me. I have had a feeling for a long time now that it had to be some kind of editorial control to write down Ororo and now we see how restrictive the x-editors are on their writers. So to clarify, dollars to donuts editorial mandate is part of why Storm gets written down so badly. Heck, Maberry spilled the beans on that happing to Ororo over in Panther's book during his writing tenure.

I can recall on another board where Claremont used to post frequently, he complained a lot about editors messing with his writing and stories. In one instance, he posted on the boards that he wanted to do a story arc in X-Treme X-Men where Zaladane was reincarnated by the Earth and had power over the tectonic plates. She was going to try and get her revenge against Magneto by sinking Genosha while he was ruler over it. (I think he told me in an e-mail or posted on the board after making this comment that they chose to go with Morrison's Cassandra Nova story where the sentinels whiped out the mutant population there.

Anyway, gotta go now, but will respond to BBeeryan and Butterflykyss reactions to my post when I have time on the Storm/Panther thing.

From what I can tell, I think a lot of supporters of the Storm and Black Panther royal marriage wanted Marvel to re-brand the Black Panther solo book into "Storm and Black Panther: or "Black Panther and Storm" so that both characters would get equal billing and equal importance but for whatever reason Marvel didn't go that route (which is off, considering how Marvel has had several titles with two characters' names in the title...characters who weren't even married!)

Power Man and Iron Fist and Cloak and Dagger instantly come to mind... and there is the upcoming Rogue and Gambit mini-series. But Storm and Black Panther suspiciously did not get a book like that.

Last edited by MoneySpider; Yesterday at 09:05 PM.

Amazing Member

Recently,Coates said that Storm is Netural Good class and MAGIC-USER class.Does this indicate storm may be considered as a magician in coates' work?Both he and Bartel have mentioned Bright Lady.I hope that's a hint!
    However,magic-user may be a class in rpg games

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    You're welcome; like I said, I'm not sure what context I'm missing. Maybe if they had been give a book modeled after Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix (call it Adventures of Black Panther and Storm?) while BP kept his solo? I dunno.
    I'm not sure if a name change would have changed the ultimate approach taken with the book or relationship. the ideas and creative team behind the ideas would have had to drive that change.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    The standards for black writers are higher when writing black characters. That's why the frustration is higher. Hudlin was a young writer that championed Wakanda while making Storm second to her King. It should have been better like Aquaman and Mera. It wasn't. You can post whatever scans you want but all they do is back me up and support my thesis that Storm was his supporting character. I get that's how some prefer it but I never will. We are better than that.

In case anyone hadn't noticed there are literally more pages with worse comments about the X-men and Guggenheim than the marriage. There are multiple threads talking about how horrible the X-men are. 4 pages of talking about the marriage are nothing compared to Storm's token status in the X-men right now.
    no fan of storm would be ok with her being to second to anyone. where did i say I was ok with her being second to anyone? Again, she was shown being his equal at times. was his writing the best in capturing her voice? Of course not. but his inability to capture her voice doesn't mean she was shown throughout their marriage as unequal.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    From what I can tell, I think a lot of supporters of the Storm and Black Panther royal marriage wanted Marvel to re-brand the Black Panther solo book into "Storm and Black Panther: or "Black Panther and Storm" so that both characters would get equal billing and equal importance but for whatever reason Marvel didn't go that route (which is off, considering how Marvel has had several titles with two characters' names in the title...characters who weren't even married!)

Power Man and Iron Fist and Cloak and Dagger instantly come to mind... and there is the upcoming Rogue and Gambit mini-series. But Storm and Black Panther suspiciously did not get a book like that.

interesting point.
    MAY ORORO AND T'CHALLA FOREVER BE!!!!!! HATERS BE GONE!

ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO! ALL HAIL DAMISA-SARKI!!!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I'm not sure if a name change would have changed the ultimate approach taken with the book or relationship. the ideas and creative team behind the ideas would have had to drive that change.

no fan of storm would be ok with her being to second to anyone. where did i say I was ok with her being second to anyone? Again, she was shown being his equal at times. was his writing the best in capturing her voice? Of course not. but his inability to capture her voice doesn't mean she was shown throughout their marriage as unequal.

interesting point.
    Your standards of equal are significantly different than mine.

Why do we have to set higher standards on black writers?
    "Lightning, deliver this place from darkness." - Storm in X-men TAS.

[SIZE=2]You should read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl solo, X-men Gold, Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther solo and Storm's second ongoing solo coming on 2018 with Ta-Nehisi Coates as writer as Jen Bartel as artist/SIZE]

"The Month of May is Ororo Munroe aka Storm Month"

Faves: Ororo Munroe aka Storm (Marvel), X (Dark Horse), Vincent Van Goat (Valiant), Superboy Prime (DC), Ingrid (Street Fighter), Celine Dion (Music)