Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default SDCC: comiXology Announces DRM-Free Backups

Image Comics, Dynamite Entertainment, Monkeybrain Comics and more join comiXology's just announced DRM-free backup program.

Full article here.

Great news. And the files are in HD. I just downloaded the Image series that I read.

Moderator / Bounty Hunter ABH-1979's Avatar

I was really happy about this, until I read "Marvel, DC Comics and IDW Publishing are noticeably absent".

Currently, all I buy from Comixology, are DC, IDW, and older Marvel X-books...

Awesome news. This shows that comic book companies are learning the same lessons that the music industry learned with respect to DRM. I had a feeling Marvel and DC would opt out, but I think in time they'll come around. They need to understand at some point that customers are keen on controlling their purchases. This can only help in the long run.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Nothing but good news.

And I'm pretty sure the Big Two will come around in a few years; it's starting to happen in the book industry....

This is a great step in the right direction. Of course, since I mainly read DC useless for now, but definitely a step in the right direction.

I already do this - just sit with my iPad and take screenshots, which actually come out rather high quality, but certainly will save me some time/legwork to not have to do so myself.

Just like music learned, this stuff is already out there - if someone wants to illegally download it, they can very easily. By doing this you simply make it more convenient for paying customers, which means they are more likely to remain paying customers than to resort to other methods.

Of course DC and Marvel aren't going to opt in right away, I'm just surprised at IDW's absence. Maybe it has something to do with all their licensed books.

Anyways, this is nothing but good news.

Awesome news, I already downloaded backups for most everything I've ever bought from Image. I have a feeling whichever of the big two is the first to get behind this will see a noticeable increase in sales, certainly a noticeable increase in purchases from me anyway.

A very nice move. Hopefully the other publishers will eventually come around. One annoyance is that I can't find a way to download the cbz directly to iPad, though.

I figured when Image announced they were offering DRM-free directly off their own website that Comixology and partners would be following suit. Of course DC and Marvel feel they have more to lose, and that fans are going to purchase their product regardless, but eventually they'll come around.

Yeah, so all the doubters who "want to own something" should start jumping on. I've been very, very happy with Comixology, and Dark Horse too.

Great news !
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

Finally! And in the correct format (CBZ) which is the same as CBR as I can't stand PDF's. Now Marvel, DC and others need to jump on.

Yep, great news, been downloading back ups all night. DC and Marvel really need to get on board, honestly surprised DC isn't already, given they were the first major publisher to go day and date digital. I mean, what's there to lose? These books show up on torrent sites within the hour of release anyways. Just agree to it and accept the good press.

Something tells me that between this and the new titles announced lately, Image is taking the gloves off...
    We may see them take even more of DC and Marvel's market share...

Question - does anyone know of any way to get the guided narrative experience for Dark Horse? I'm spoiled to it.

Or at least can they suggest the best way to view and read digital DarkHorse books on an IPad?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Something tells me that between this and the new titles announced lately, Image is taking the gloves off...
    We may see them take even more of DC and Marvel's market share...
    At this point I only read Marvel digitally and if it is on sale. Knowing that Image books will quickly go down to 1.99 is a game changer. Vertigo goes down to 1.99 fairly quickly as well.