Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default SDCC LIVE: Miller, Morrison, Snyder and More Celebrate 75 Years of Batman

Batman turns 75, and party guests include Neal Adams, Greg Capullo, Geoff Johns, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Denny O'Neil, and Scott Snyder. CBR has LIVE updates throughout the panel.

Full article here.

BANNED

Frank Miller is saying stupid things. He didn't get rid of the oval, it comes back all the time and goes away constantly. Why is he even on this panel? He hasn't contributed anything in like 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post
    Frank Miller is saying stupid things. He didn't get rid of the oval, it comes back all the time and goes away constantly. Why is he even on this panel? He hasn't contributed anything in like 30 years.
    Frank Miller is always saying stupid things lately it seems but his impact on Batman is pretty solid. Most comic fans still consider his Batman work to be arguably the best work on Batman and on the medium as a whole. I'm not saying I agree with them but as to why he's speaking about Batman on his 75th anniversary it's because his impact is still brought up on a regular basis when Batman is being mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post
    The thing is, he contributed arguably the two most important Batman stories (one of which the arguably the most important comic) of all time.

Once in a lifetime panel. Who's missing? Finger, Kane, Aparo,,,,

Frank Miller is the man who made Batman popular again
    His crazy opinion is a welcome addition to the large history of batman.

wild strawberry souldier vitamin's Avatar

I heart Miller for bitch-slapping Lee.
    What's so bad about not having a soul anyway?
    Phoenix Egg

ehh... I thought overly-criticizing creates and artists was frowned upon. I think we should get back on Batman, I mean holy moly we have all these great writers on ONE stage. What I wouldn't do to be there.

Btw this was a FANTASTIC read.

Ah, good panel. Not the best. Historic, though, and hell yeah to the Bill Finger love.

I read and view work from creators I don't like all the time. It's vital. Whatever they put into their work is NOT what everyone else takes out of it, and never has been. Art has always been more about the "viewer" or "interpretation" than the creator itself. If I wanted to rule out a guy because his opinions are the polar opposites of mine, I'd have to blacklist my own father, and never read another Classic piece of literature, ever, ever again.

In a humorous aside, though, I did think it was ironic that Miller was the guy on stage who said anything about "once you start thinking that way, you've pegged yourself as old".

I also liked how Morrison and Denny really echoed each other, but Morrison just took it to the more blatant, ruthless conclusion. Denny's Batman could be a "medieval character, dark like a villain" ... Morrison just out-and-out loads up on the repairing of misappropriation of historical words and symbolism and drops "Satanic" into the mix.

I didn't think the panel was missing anyone in particular. Johns actually sticks out the most, but at least he's got some Batman credits to his name. But I did feel like maybe Klaus Jansen could've been there, representing his occasional artwork but also somebody who was typically neither a writer nor a draftsman. He penciled Morrison's "Gothic", inked Miller's stuff, and he's back with DC doing covers.

Mike Barr would have been a good choice, too.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 07-24-2014 at 05:07 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

If you stopped reading or watching every form of entertainment made by people who you don't agree with or has someone with deplorable ethics and/or morals working on it...there wouldn't be much of anything left. I agree that Miller has spouted some, let's say interesting, views over the last few years. With that said, to in any way minimize the impact Frank Miller has had on comics is absurd. He's written arguably 2 of the 6 most important comic books of all time (Action #1, Detective #27 and Fantastic Four #1 and X-Men #94 being the others) and might be the 2nd most influential creator of all time after Stan Lee. What happened after TDKR and Year 1 is comparable to someone writing such a good slap stick comic that everyone writes nothing but slap stick comics for the next 40 years. Debating whether he should be on a Batman panel is like debating if George Washington should be on a Presidential panel

Miller has two of the best batman stories, ever, and is highly influential to tons of other writers. So, you might not like him (surprise), but he should be there.
    Message board hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

"CBR....complain, b!#^h, and rant" ~ Greg Capullo

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    ehh... I thought overly-criticizing creates and artists was frowned upon. I think we should get back on Batman, I mean holy moly we have all these great writers on ONE stage. What I wouldn't do to be there.
    I thought so, too. Seems like some people have a Trump card or something.
    Message board hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

"CBR....complain, b!#^h, and rant" ~ Greg Capullo

Daredevil, Batman, Superman, Noir Comics, he has his faults but he put out some comics.

Moderator / Bounty Hunter ABH-1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    ehh... I thought overly-criticizing creates and artists was frowned upon.
    It is, and it's the kind of thing that will earn someone some time off from CBR.

Creator bashing is not okay.

Discuss the topic, in a civil manner.

If you quoted or responded a post that was deleted, then expect your post to be edited or deleted.

(This is not directed at you, charlie)
    Detective Comics - Batman and Robin - Batman - Grayson