Page 212 of 235 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222 ... LastLast
Results 3,166 to 3,180 of 3514

Thread: Anime talk

Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Just got done with Devilman Crybaby. It's always been a franchise I've been interested in, seeing as how it heavily influenced Evangelion and Berserk, my two favorite anime/manga EVER. It definitely tops those two in terms of bleakness: despite how batshit crazy it gets, the original Evangelion series has a hopeful ending with the possibility of everyone coming back to life, and the final film of the new series is poised to move in a more positive direction after the swerve of 3.0. Similarly, I don't think Berserk will have a downer ending despite the rough journey to get there.

This, however, was gut wrenching, particularly those last two episodes. But in the best way possible. I'm glad this is finally bringing some attention to the property and they will be bringing the original series over here at least. I want to finally be able to read it, if I liked this adaptation this much, I'm sure the source material is even better. There is not likely to be a season 2, unless they are going to adapt Devilman Lady? PLEASE DO.

Yuru Camp△ is by far the most relaxing show of the season.

I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Toji no Miko: Sword wielding high school girls---count me in! Already watched the first episode and enjoyed it!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Toji no Miko: Sword wielding high school girls---count me in! Already watched the first episode and enjoyed it!
    I'm on the fence with this one. A little confused on where they're going to take this so I'll give it a couple more episodes.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Yuru Camp△ is by far the most relaxing show of the season.

I already have read the manga Yuru Camp△ It is quite a very interesting concept. High school Girls camping outside in the open air together. Cooking with a campfire, Eating outdoors and sleeping in tents.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

Toji No Miko means Katana Maidens or "Sword-wielding Shrine Maidens" in Japanese.

This sounds like a promising new show to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Just got done with Devilman Crybaby. It's always been a franchise I've been interested in, seeing as how it heavily influenced Evangelion and Berserk, my two favorite anime/manga EVER. It definitely tops those two in terms of bleakness: despite how batshit crazy it gets, the original Evangelion series has a hopeful ending with the possibility of everyone coming back to life, and the final film of the new series is poised to move in a more positive direction after the swerve of 3.0. Similarly, I don't think Berserk will have a downer ending despite the rough journey to get there.

This, however, was gut wrenching, particularly those last two episodes. But in the best way possible. I'm glad this is finally bringing some attention to the property and they will be bringing the original series over here at least. I want to finally be able to read it, if I liked this adaptation this much, I'm sure the source material is even better. There is not likely to be a season 2, unless they are going to adapt Devilman Lady? PLEASE DO.
    And the funny part is the anime went out of its way to make things less bleak compared to the manga.

Fantastic Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Toji no Miko had higher production values than I imagined.

Might stick with it due to how the first episode went in a different direction that I imagined. The setup seemed like Strike Witches, but they seem to imply more of a Kill-la-Kill direction with people fighting against the establishment. We'll see if the monsters or the royal guard end up being the main villains.

Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    And the funny part is the anime went out of its way to make things less bleak compared to the manga.
    I'm kind of scared to see how much WORSE it could be, but also kind of excited. Can't wait to get the Classic Collection when it comes out. I hope they bring Devilman Lady over here as well.

EDIT: As a longtime Eva nut, seeing all the scenes that it was inspired by (and inspired in return for this adaptation) were really neat. I have to wonder if Shinji/Eva-01 emerging from the Eva cages in time to see the Mass Production Units carrying Eva-02's dismembered body were always a nod to spoilers:
    Akira returning to see the mob parading around with Miki's head and other body parts. Can't be a coincidence that it was the love interest both times, though at least Asuka gets a second shot at life post-Instrumentality.

Also, I saw scans of the final scene from the Manga. The End of Evangelion's final scene was definitely a reference to that, especially the unused ending that would have panned back to reveal Shinji was holding Rei's severed arm. The seas being red in this version were in turn a great call back to EoE
    end of spoilers.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 01-12-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Toji no Miko episode 2 was a big improvement. Some of the CGI is still really janky, but I'm glad they got the big reveal out of the way now. Still on the fence about watching it past the next episode, but this one was encouraging.

So is it my imagination or is there some kind of petty console wars thing going on with Encore, FranXX, and VEG premiering this season? There's a ridiculous amount of potential for some top tier productions and I keep seeing people trash talking studios peppered throughout discussions. I was expecting over hyping and possibly setting themselves up for disappointment but not this.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Extraordinary Member Gray Lensman's Avatar

Just finished Gurran Laggan last night - that's the big dubbed show still left on Amazon Prime - the others I had wanted to watch have all already moved to Hi-Dive.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    So is it my imagination or is there some kind of petty console wars thing going on with Encore, FranXX, and VEG premiering this season? There's a ridiculous amount of potential for some top tier productions and I keep seeing people trash talking studios peppered throughout discussions. I was expecting over hyping and possibly setting themselves up for disappointment but not this.
    I just always expect all fandoms to be horrible and/or stupid.

That way I'm never disappointed when they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I just always expect all fandoms to be horrible and/or stupid.

That way I'm never disappointed when they are.
    True it just caught me off guard. Most of the people working in anime are freelancers so it seems dumb to have company wars when the people thier sh***ing on probably worked on their favorite anime. Hopefully by the third episode those that hate it will have dropped it.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Things I'm (potentially) watching this season:

• Overlord
    • Death March - Used to read the novel versions, wondered how they'd anime it. Not disappointed so far.
    • Killing Bites - I keep hearing it called "Bloody Roar the anime". Hope it doesn't go the way of Bloody Roar. I miss that series.
    • Various things I missed from last season due to watching absolutely nothing during that time.
    ~Live as if each and every passing moment would be your last~