Page 186 of 203 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 3034

Thread: Anime talk

  1. #2776
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    No can do. Ever since I started watching anime seasonal I've gotten biased towards subs. American VA's sound off and are more of a distraction now. Still going to try to pick up the series sooner rather than later.

    Just don't hop on the jackhole train of being one of those people who can't stop being angry that dubs exist at all.

    One show I recommend dubbed over subbed is Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - Kobayashi's dub actress pulls off dry sarcasm very well, which doesn't come through as well in the subbed version - at least not to my wife or me.

  2. #2777
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    12,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Just don't hop on the jackhole train of being one of those people who can't stop being angry that dubs exist at all.

    One show I recommend dubbed over subbed is Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - Kobayashi's dub actress pulls off dry sarcasm very well, which doesn't come through as well in the subbed version - at least not to my wife or me.
    And for bawdy, rowdy, out of control craziness, the dub of Shimoneta can't be beat! Another dub I've liked is Saga of Tanya the Evil, Monica Rial, one of my all time favorite English VA's brought all sorts of wickedness, scathing sarcasm and outright, well, evilness to her role as Tanya.

    I'm comfortable with and enjoy both dubs which I started with a long time ago, and subs which became an acquired taste after I signed up with Crunchyroll.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 09-06-2017 at 07:19 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  3. #2778
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And for bawdy, rowdy, out of control craziness, the dub of Shimoneta can't be beat! Another dub I've liked is Saga of Tanya the Evil, Monica Rial, one of my all time favorite English VA's brought all sorts of wickedness, scathing sarcasm and outright, well, evilness to her role as Tanya.

    I'm comfortable with and enjoy both dubs which I started with a long time ago, and subs which became an acquired taste after I signed up with Crunchyroll.
    Sarcasm is something you need to know the vocalizations of to get it when it's there. When you aren't familiar enough with the language (and Japanese just blends into the background music for me so I'm unlikely to ever pick it up) subtleties get lost. The only voice I know that can pull off stuff like that through the language barrier for me is the guy who voices Kazuma from Konusuba.

    There are things when I question the choices made in a dub, like Love Tyrant changing Akane from "yandere" to just "psycho". A show like that is unlikely to be watched by anyone who doesn't know what a yandere is anyways, especially since it parodies that concept (as well as many others).

  4. #2779
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    12,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Sarcasm is something you need to know the vocalizations of to get it when it's there. When you aren't familiar enough with the language (and Japanese just blends into the background music for me so I'm unlikely to ever pick it up) subtleties get lost. The only voice I know that can pull off stuff like that through the language barrier for me is the guy who voices Kazuma from Konusuba.

    There are things when I question the choices made in a dub, like Love Tyrant changing Akane from "yandere" to just "psycho". A show like that is unlikely to be watched by anyone who doesn't know what a yandere is anyways, especially since it parodies that concept (as well as many others).
    In the dubbed version of Shimoneta, Anna's lust filled craziness for Tanukichi (she's also voiced by Ms. Rial) comes through loud and clear, unlike in the sub.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  5. #2780
    Astonishing Member Triple J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    3,491

    Default

    Yeah, some of the dubs are amazing. Space Dandy is one among them, imo. It's premise isn't limited to Japan (or Japanese culture), and as such doesn't tread on a lot of ideas that are common among other anime.

    For me, I can't watch the dub of any anime with school as the primary setting...it's just too weird. Plus the exaggerations in the language doesn't come across as well.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

    That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

    This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

    Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

  6. #2781
    Astonishing Member harashkupo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,282

    Default

    With today's Sakura Quest it finally dawned on me that everything's coming to a close. This was an altogether solid and enjoyable season. Princess Principal and Classroom of the Elite were the biggest surprises. Didn't know what to expect but they definitely delivered every week. A LOT of funny shows with Aho Girl and Tsurezure Children tied as my favorites. Too many action scenes to pick from although Boruto came out strong this week. Good god that was cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Just don't hop on the jackhole train of being one of those people who can't stop being angry that dubs exist at all.
    The whole sub vs dub thing is just a personal preference. Thn only thing I come close to hating or being angry at its existence is Dragon Ball Super, and even then I don't go around other forums sh**ing on other's discussion. No point in spreading the misery if others are enjoying it.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

  7. #2782
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    The Boruto anime gives the Sarada Gaiden arc a solid finish with one frickin cool fight scene between Sakura and Shin. And I really like this version of Sasuke leaving the village for his mission again. It makes much more clear that it's not that he doesn't want to kiss Sakura. It's just he's a totally awkward dork who freaked out, in his own stoic way. It was very cute.

    Gamers! continues to be hilariously frustrating with a major lie from Chiaki, and her sister getting in on the sillyness.

  8. #2783
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Gamers! continues to be hilariously frustrating with a major lie from Chiaki, and her sister getting in on the sillyness.
    After all the drama from imagined conflicts, let's see how the cast handles a real one!

  9. #2784
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    3,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post

    Gamers! continues to be hilariously frustrating with a major lie from Chiaki, and her sister getting in on the sillyness.
    Chiaki, how can you let your sister use your PC after interrupting her "exercise"? She was sleeping on your bed when you found her. Why.....

  10. #2785
    Astonishing Member harashkupo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Chiaki, how can you let your sister use your PC after interrupting her "exercise"? She was sleeping on your bed when you found her. Why.....
    Wholesome exercising tires one out and sometimes you need a nap afterward. Nothing suspicious about that.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

  11. #2786
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Wholesome exercising tires one out and sometimes you need a nap afterward. Nothing suspicious about that.
    Is that what they're calling it these days?

  12. #2787
    Astonishing Member harashkupo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,282

    Default

    Ugh, had to skip Made in Abyss today. As horrible as this weekend is going to be, I couldn't handle anything dark or depressing.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

  13. #2788
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    12,339

    Default

    Finished the first season of Love Live Sunshine last night. And the second season is supposed to start next month! Hooray!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  14. #2789
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    Solid episode of My Hero Academia this week. I enjoyed all the student/teacher matches (especially Froppy & Tsukuyomi vs. Ectoplasm) and they did great job with finishing up Momo's arc for the season. Uraraka's face in the after credits scene was perfection.

  15. #2790
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    Fate Apocrypha

    Hmm.

    *reads up on Red Beserker and his noble phantasm*

    Ok, I can kinda see why they didn't fully elaborate on that. Some of it I could guess, but the particulars were a bit iffy. I guess that he was a danger to Ruler because he grew beyond whatever kind of power she has over servants, and I assume that he attacked Mordred because she's a King of Knights and thus an oppressor, kinda.

    spoilers:
    Ok, so the vampire part of Vlad is his noble phantasm and he hates everything about it. That's a nice little twist to throw in there. Really looking forward to Vamp Vlad throwing down.

    The tally so far is that we're down both Berserkers, Black Assassin is still rogue and Black Saber has kinda defected. Still lots of shit to go down.
    end of spoilers

    Karna is still so cool. I want to see more of Atalanta.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •