Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,378

    Default SDCC FIRST LOOK: Vaughan and Staples' "Saga" HC Cover

    Fiona Staples debuts the cover art for the first hardcover collection of hers and Brian K. Vaughan's "Saga."


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I'm not offended by this cover.
    However, I think that, as covers go, this is pretty weak.
    Last edited by Samurai32; 07-26-2014 at 03:14 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Kid A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai32 View Post
    I'm not offended by this cover.
    However, I think that, as covers go, this is pretty weak.
    Yeah it's just laughably transparent how Vaughan tries to be provocative and controversial with this book.

    Even the stuff that got that one issue banned by apple was gratuitous.

  4. #4
    Senior Member RobinFan4880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,611

    Default

    I don't like it. I much preferred the cover for the first Trade paperback.

  5. #5
    Member bob fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Suburbs of Philly
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Ehh.A The Will cover would've been nice.This is so-so.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Yeah it's just laughably transparent how Vaughan tries to be provocative and controversial with this book.
    It has become a little trite. Last time I opened a new issue of Saga, I told my wife, 'I'll bet you 10 dollars there's something sexually graphic on the first page".

    As a reader of Saga, she didn't take the bet.

    It ceases to be shocking if you know it's coming. Regardless of what the actual content is.

  7. #7

    Default

    Wait what's controversial about this cover though? This is literally the main purpose of breasts! I know that in the USA people take nudity a bit more seriously than where I'm from, but don't tell me breastfeeding is considered controversial over there? No offense intended, but if it's actually considered indecent that's... Kind of strange to me?? In fact, the first trade also shows Alana breastfeeding Hazel, and I've never heard any complaints about that either!

    While I agree that Saga features more nudity than other comics, a lot of it is pretty functional. Giving birth is a gross mess; sex isn't usually 'tasteful' shots with carefully positioned sheets to cover people's bodies. Was that ogre with those gross genitals unnecessary? Maybe, but it did make him even more repulsive. This might just be a matter of taste, but I quite like those gross-out moments. Saga takes place in a slightly more explicit (both in violence and sexuality) universe, and that adds to its uniqueness, in my view.

    That said, my favourite cover is still the one of Alana blowing bubblegum on top of that rocketship. Would've picked that as cover myself, but this looks fine too.
    November 2014 favourite: ...And Then Emily Was Gone. Little mystery/horror gem set on a small Scottish island. Some fun local legends which I'm not sure if they're made up for this story, or are common local folk tales. Think Shutter Island, then add monsters; does our main character imagine them, or is nobody else seeing them...? (By Lees/Laurie/Wilson/Bell, through Comix Tribe).

  8. #8
    Senior Member Kid A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,236

    Default

    Judging by this thread, no one really finds this cover controversial. But it still seems like Vaughan at least intended to get a reaction out of this cover, because I really don't understand why else of all things you can put, this was it.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8

    Default

    What's disturbing to me is why so many posters on this thread are even talking about this being "controversial". It's a natural act that happens literally MILLIONS of times throughout the world every day.

    It has nothing to do with being shocking or "edgy". It's a perfect, succinct, encapsulation of motherhood. The cosmic background plus the image lets you know what this is series is all about.

    I wonder if posters here would be even talking about this if the cover was depicting a decapitation or a disembowelment. I wonder if any one ever tells their wife when they open their comics "I bet you there'll be an act of violence in this issue". It says something very unsettling about our culture and society that sex and nudity are so "shocking" to people but violence is so accept as part of the norm.

    I really hope that one day people will be shocked by inhumanity and violence and freak out over their kids seeing that rather than nude bodies or sexual activity.
    Last edited by RoguishGurl; 07-27-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: unnecessary

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    It has become a little trite. Last time I opened a new issue of Saga, I told my wife, 'I'll bet you 10 dollars there's something sexually graphic on the first page".

    As a reader of Saga, she didn't take the bet.

    It ceases to be shocking if you know it's coming. Regardless of what the actual content is.
    When it's actually consistently invoking instances of sexuality or showing genitalia or something like breastfeeding, is it actually 'graphic' or is it just Vaughan and Staples actively wanting the book to be mature in ways that a predominantly American audience can't really handle? Because the 'outrage' over Saga and it's sex scenes or breast-feeding or full-frontal nudity is EXACTLY the same as the stupidity in the American film-rating system. Nobody gives a crap about people being killed or gratuitous violence - superhero books at DC get away with much worse in terms of violence, so.. Why does the intent have to be shocking when it comes to sex and nudity? People have penises. Babies get breastfed. People have sex. The intent isn't to be shocking - it's just more mature in ways that most books claiming to be 'mature' actually wish they were, and it puts Saga up on par with, IMO, something like Love and Rockets.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Kid A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandinista View Post
    I wonder if posters here would be even talking about this if the cover was depicting a decapitation or a disembowelment. I wonder if any one ever tells their wife when they open their comics "I bet you there'll be an act of violence in this issue". It says something very unsettling about our culture and society that sex and nudity are so "shocking" to people but violence is so accept as part of the norm.
    Imaginary double standards doesn't really help your argument.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Judging by this thread, no one really finds this cover controversial. But it still seems like Vaughan at least intended to get a reaction out of this cover, because I really don't understand why else of all things you can put, this was it.
    Why does he need to be trying to get a reaction? The story is about their baby and her growth, at it's core. Babies get breastfed. Millions of babies are breastfed in public every day. It's a simple image of motherhood. If it were an image of Prince Robot IV getting shot in the face, I doubt you'd have anything to say. Of course, CBR have not helped matters by making a big deal out of this in giving it it's own article.

  13. #13
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    610

    Default

    My problem with this cover is not even showing the kid breastfeeding (It's stupid honestly and because of it, I can't take the book out into public to read without getting weird looks), it's the fact that cover tells you absolutely nothing about the book.

    All I says is there are aliens and there's a baby. Nothing else. It's so.. shallow and weak. It says nothing about the book itself, the quality, or what you are really getting into. Like a previous poster said, the cover for the first trade would be much better.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    it's the fact that cover tells you absolutely nothing about the book.
    The story is about the baby. It's an image of the baby, who is at the core of the story and the most important thing about it. I don't see how people can't grasp this. It says EVERYTHING about the book. More importantly, how would you like them to convey it's quality or what you are getting into? The cover of the first trade says nothing about quality, just 'here's two characters, they have a baby'. Most Batman covers look sensational - a vast majority of the insides are garbage.

    Also, you wouldn't be taking this copy of the book out into public. It's a stupidly big hardcover. Also, if you're that bothered about breastfeeding on the cover and mean that you can't take the first trade out in public? That's more your fault because you're easily embarrassed, not the book's.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Kid A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrStatham View Post
    Why does he need to be trying to get a reaction? The story is about their baby and her growth, at it's core. Babies get breastfed. Millions of babies are breastfed in public every day. It's a simple image of motherhood. If it were an image of Prince Robot IV getting shot in the face, I doubt you'd have anything to say. Of course, CBR have not helped matters by making a big deal out of this in giving it it's own article.
    Okay that's fair. It doesn't change my opinion of Vaughan, but I'll admit this cover isn't necessarily an instance of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •