Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default SDCC: Layman Sets a Course for Interstellar Adventure with "Cyclops"

John Layman takes over Marvel's "Cyclops" in October and tells CBR his plans for the cosmic adventure series starring a teen Scott Summers and the Starjammers.

Full article here.

Still bummed that Greg Rucka is leaving after only five issues, but it sounds like Layman has a genuine passion for the character. I agree with him about Cyclops having a lot of baggage. Over 40 years of continuity will do that to any character and it doesn't help that he was horribly written during Avengers vs. X-men. That said, I think O5 Cyclops is still a lot more likable in that he's young, nave, and not overly serious like his older self. That's part of what makes this series so great. It's not Cyclops leading mutants into another war. It's a teenage boy hanging out with his father, cruising around in space. How can that not be awesome on some levels?
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Sad news with Rucka leaving.

But Layman is not a bad replacement at all. His DC work had a good balance of mini arcs building onto something bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Still bummed that Greg Rucka is leaving after only five issues, but it sounds like Layman has a genuine passion for the character.
    Agreed.

Unhappy to see Rucka leave this book after such a short time, but after reading this interview, Cyclops looks like he's in great hands. Layman appears to have a genuine passion for this character and so far I am really liking his ideas for this series.

The next arc about a rival pirate gang capturing the Starjammers sounds awesome. Young Cyclops will need to to think like a pirate and use that tactical brain to get them out of it. Also, the thought of a cosmic artifact in the hands of Cyclops sounds like a wicked idea

Man, first Dauterman, now Rucka. Layman's cool though so hopefully he can continue to keep the quality.

Maybe Rucka got Hepzibah book the fans have been clamoring for. That might be the big announcement they're saving for NYC.

Embrace the Fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Too bad about Rucka leaving, but I'm digging what I'm hearing about the crew and the ship. About time Cyclops gets a family that actually acts like one instead of pretending they do.

Layman is cool, but it didn't come off to me like there's any real excitement. Changing creative teams on a small title so early on is a generally bad idea.

I like Layman and hope the final six or so issues of Cyclops are really fun.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Layman is cool, but it didn't come off to me like there's any real excitement. Changing creative teams on a small title so early on is a generally bad idea.

John Layman: It's super exciting. I've always been primarily a Marvel dude and I've always loved the X-Men most. Cyclops and Nightcrawler are probably my two favorite X-Men, so this was something I jumped at.

Yes it's a lot of fun. That's one of the reasons why I jumped at it. It's teen Cyclops in space. So it's Space Opera. It's "Star Wars," "Guardians of the Galaxy" -- basically fun science fiction.

Working on "Cyclops" is literally a best case scenario for me. I'm working for one of my favorite companies with two of my favorite editors on one of my favorite characters. So when they offered it to me there was no hesitation.

I'm fairly particular in the work I take. I say no a lot. Mostly that's all I do, and with this there wasn't even a second thought. It was, "Yes! What hoops do you want me to jump through for this?"

Do you need him to cum in your face?? I'd say he sounds excited...

Very unfortunate. With small iffy books like this creative shuffles can be a very dangerous things. Even if they're good on both ends, you can lose people in the transition, and you can't really afford to lose people. Especially when having Rucka was a great thing here.

That said, the interview sounds good, he definitely sounds like he likes the character (he says he's one of his favorites, but that could be interview hyperbole), and he seems to have some cool ideas. And I like the idea that he's going to try and give the ship an identity. I agree with him completely that good sci-fi tends to have ships that are characters in the story. I think one of the problems with cosmic comics is often the lack of a sense of place. A lot of the books just dart around to random alien worlds with random species in random ships and nothing sticks. Giving the ship more role helps to give the story more weight and a feeling of location and world-building. I'd also like to see some specific alien groups/worlds/characters that are recurring to give the space setting a sense of place as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Agreed, It's in space so it must be just like SW and ST. SMH. Doesn't know who the Starjammers are? Great pick for the title... hope he's read some of the ALl-New X-Men run at least. "Marvel Dude"

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyX View Post

Do you need him to cum in your face?? I'd say he sounds excited...
    Not knowing a single Starjammer gives one pause. You'd have to think he didn't just get the slot yesterday, and he'd have done a teeny bit of research already...

That being said, i'm mature enough to realize a gig is a gig and he got this because of the old DC folk now in charge at the x-books. I would have liked a bit more outside the box thinking than the usual recycling though...

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    Not knowing a single Starjammer gives one pause. You'd have to think he didn't just get the slot yesterday, and he'd have done a teeny bit of research already...

That being said, i'm mature enough to realize a gig is a gig and he got this because of the old DC folk now in charge at the x-books. I would have liked a bit more outside the box thinking than the usual recycling though...
    Who would be some of the creators you would like to see man the book?

Any word on why Rucka has left the book? Really disappointing as I loved the first 2 issues. I was already wavering with Dauterman being poached for the new She-Thor book, so this probably means I won't continue buying the book after #5. If it gets good reviews I can always pick it up digitally later.