Page 1006 of 1210 FirstFirst ... 6506906956996100210031004100510061007100810091010101610561106 ... LastLast
Results 15,076 to 15,090 of 18138
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I can definitely appreciate this sentiment. However, I think Grant Morrison did a lot to really undermine the relationship and undercut the appeal it once had. Make no mistake. It did once have a lot more appeal. A big part of what made it so great, going all the way back to the early Chris Claremont days, was that theirs was a romance of real equals. It wasn't like Spider-Man and Mary Jane or Superman and Lois Lane in that they both had super powers. They both had lives as superheroes. They never hid their identities from one another. They fought alongside one another on the same team. By all accounts, it was one of the most balanced relationships in all of comics. However, Morrison really undercut that and for bad reasons. I get the sense he just didn't like the relationship and went out of his way to break it. If it wasn't Emma, then he would've found another character to do it. I would refer you to comics like X-men 95 #5 or X-Factor Forever to show why the Cyclops/Jean relationship has so much appeal and why it works so well.

While I'm not opposed to Cyclops and Jean seeking other romances, I do think that they complement each other better than almost any other romance in comics. That's what makes a good romance. At this point, I don't know how they could establish that kind of dynamic with any other character, human or mutant.
    It once had a lot of appeal, but Quesada did not like marriages or long term relationships in general. He dissolved Peter and Mary Jane's marriage. For Cyclops, he and Morrison put him with the White Queen, a woman who tried to kill him and who the original Cyclops wouldn't have touched with a ten foot poll. It's why I liked Scott's reaction upon learning how the White Queen had manipulated people's minds and made them think Black Bolt killed adult Cyclops. He blasted Emma with his optic blasts and before that said she was a blond, cold eyed monster. That's what Scott originally would have thought of Emma and even if he and Jean had broken up she would have been the last woman he'd get with.

I honestly had the sense that Morrison and Quesada had personal issues that made them embittered people, and they couldn't stand that Scott and Jean had a successful marriage.

With that said, I don't mind a well written Scott and Jean reuniting. At the same time, I don't want them to be back together just for nostalgia. If it makes a better story for Scott to be with Ms. Marvel aka Kamala Khan or for Jean to be with Miles Morales aka Spider Man or Quentin Quire I'd rather those stories happen. The o5 got a chance to do a complete doover, which rarely happens in comics and not in real life. So it would be interesting to see what different choices they make this time around, knowing how things turned out for their older counterparts.

The other thing both Jean and Scott know a lot more mutants their age, plus Scott is a Champion plus they met Nuhumans their age. With all these young superpowered people their age, who is to say that they would necessarily chose each other again?
    Last edited by WallStreeter; 03-16-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Quesada definitely had an issue with long term relationships and I can't begin to claim to know why, but to be fair to Morrison, didn't he want to play around with the love triangle angle and then have it be resolved with Jean and Scott coming back together after Jean was revived post-Planet X? It was never Morrison's fault that she stayed dead in the first place. He never wanted her to. That was all Quesada, making it an edict that the one character that makes sense for her to come back to life, couldn't.

"You are here. You fought the weekend war, and you made it to the other side. Welcome to Monday; you can be anyone here. This is a new day, a new beginning, a new chance to be great. We are wiser and wilder than we were yesterday. Go kiss a stranger. Scream your favorite song from the top of the tallest building. You have the right to remain rock and roll. This is the end of the innocence; youth wasn't wasted on us. Now get out there, and write your story." - Brian Logan Dales, The Summer Set

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Quesada definitely had an issue with long term relationships and I can't begin to claim to know why, but to be fair to Morrison, didn't he want to play around with the love triangle angle and then have it be resolved with Jean and Scott coming back together after Jean was revived post-Planet X? It was never Morrison's fault that she stayed dead in the first place. He never wanted her to. That was all Quesada, making it an edict that the one character that makes sense for her to come back to life, couldn't.
    It's honestly so stupid. They can literally just say that the Phoenix ressurected her and that's it, any time, any day. I love Jeen but I can't help but think that if it wasn't for her, older Jean would have come back already, specially with Apocalypse and everything.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Taking time off from 'Marvel Future Fight' on my cell

Is what I heard about Quesada being divorced (newly when he got into his position of power) true? Which would fuel his vendetta against marriages and long-running romantic relationships in Marvel.....
    Genkai nante nai
    (No limits)
    Zettai nante nai
    (No absolutes)

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    Is what I heard about Quesada being divorced (newly when he got into his position of power) true? Which would fuel his vendetta against marriages and long-running romantic relationships in Marvel.....
    Sounds like some false rumor that some butt-hurt fanboy/girl would spread for attention...
    Time travel is optional.
    "Off panel", is a laughable defense.
    If it wasn't printed... It didn't happen

I think you people are looking for a conspiracy where none exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think you people are looking for a conspiracy where none exists.
    Well, maybe to a point. Quesada definitely had a thing against long-term relationships for most characters (I believe he said that they age characters? Spider-Man couldn't be relatable to the general reader if he was married with a daughter) and because of that, OMD happened and Jean wasn't allowed to come back to life at the end of Planet X. That said, I'm not going to say that it was for any sort of personal vendetta so much as the same reason that DC also cut out some of their long term relationships in the New 52 like Green Arrow and Black Canary or Barry Allen and Iris West.

"You are here. You fought the weekend war, and you made it to the other side. Welcome to Monday; you can be anyone here. This is a new day, a new beginning, a new chance to be great. We are wiser and wilder than we were yesterday. Go kiss a stranger. Scream your favorite song from the top of the tallest building. You have the right to remain rock and roll. This is the end of the innocence; youth wasn't wasted on us. Now get out there, and write your story." - Brian Logan Dales, The Summer Set

Fantastic Member

Was Morrison really going to bring Jean back? I remember reading an interview where he said he planned to continue his story with Scott and Emma as a couple and headmasters of the school with new students and all that (which is what we got during Whedon's run) but no mention of Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post
    Was Morrison really going to bring Jean back? I remember reading an interview where he said he planned to continue his story with Scott and Emma as a couple and headmasters of the school with new students and all that (which is what we got during Whedon's run) but no mention of Jean.
    Morrison had planned to end his run with bringing Jean back, but editorial interference basically made it so that he wasn't allowed to do so. He wanted to play around with the idea of the Phoenix doing what a Phoenix was meant to do, and primarily left the book because of a family emergency.

Morrison had planned to end his run with bringing Jean back, but editorial interference basically made it so that he wasn't allowed to do so. He wanted to play around with the idea of the Phoenix doing what a Phoenix was meant to do, and primarily left the book because of a family emergency.
    No disrespect -- but, I'm so not buying that unlikely explanation.
    Time travel is optional.
    "Off panel", is a laughable defense.
    If it wasn't printed... It didn't happen

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It's honestly so stupid. They can literally just say that the Phoenix ressurected her and that's it, any time, any day. I love Jeen but I can't help but think that if it wasn't for her, older Jean would have come back already, specially with Apocalypse and everything.
    Yes but they were giving Emma Frost the big push. When Jean was brought to the present with the rest of the o5, it was away to bring her back without Cyclops and Wolverine forming some weird rectangle with Emma Frost. And by the time Jean was recast in the films, she's a younger past version of Jean too (Sophie Turner) so I can see why at this point they didn't bring back original Jean. Both movie Jean and comics Jeen were both powerful as teens/young adults, unlike the other Jean who didn't come into really being powerful until she was older because Xavier blocked her powers. Both comic book and film Jean got a doover.

Fantastic Member The_Phenom2893's Avatar

Sorry that I'm late for the party about the costume. I guess you guys moved on 1 or 2 pages ago lol. But I wasn't here so, how about here do you guys like here?
    Since I don't have this issue in digital. I can't show one with more detailed.

Also, I don't want to sound rude, but try to correct me but that story arc I felt that Jean was a plot device. If you read the story, you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Or I'm getting it confused with her being way op.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    No disrespect -- but, I'm so not buying that unlikely explanation.
    That's what I had been told here not long ago. Before I believed he left because he was unable to write the story he wanted.

Fantastic Member The_Phenom2893's Avatar

Found more. Lmao. I got them from another thread.
    Attachment 45270
    Attachment 45271
    Attachment 45272
    Last edited by The_Phenom2893; 03-16-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post
    Yes, he wanted to bring her back. I think he wanted to kill and bring her back a few times to play with the concept of the Phoenix or something like that. But then he was ordered to keep her dead.