The art looks great, and doesn't look nearly as out of place as last issues replacement. Though the eyes are wrong, she's supposed to have green eyes, but its minor so it doesn't bother me too much.

Any of you guys feel like sometimes certain 'fans' just kind of put Jean up to an unreachable expectation and standard? If she does the right or takes the moral high ground, she's labeled by some as "boring, goody two shoes."

If she does act impulsive there's ab immediate call for her head and that she's "immoral."

WTF. It's like you can't win. Personally, I enjoy either side and the various spectrum in between as it shows Jean is a character with definite grey areas. She's not perfect, can make mistakes but at her heart she's trying to do the right thing.

This was brought up because while reading the lastest Gen X, Phoebe Cuckoo casually reads Hindsight's mind and continues to do so despite his clear unease. It made me think about how if Jean were in the exact same position, there would be calls for her head for violating his privacy, yet not a single peep about Phoebe Cuckoo.
    Last edited by Bart; 05-18-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Any of you guys feel like sometimes certain 'fans' just kind of put Jean up to an unreachable expectation and standard? If she does the right or takes the moral high ground, she's labeled by some as "boring, goody two shoes."

If she does act impulsive there's ab immediate call for her head and that she's "immoral."

WTF. It's like you can't win. Personally, I enjoy either side and the various spectrum in between as it shows Jean is a character with definite grey areas. She's not perfect, can make mistakes but at her heart she's trying to do the right thing.

This was brought up because while reading the lastest Gen X, Phoebe Cuckoo casually reads Hindsight's mind and continues to do so despite his clear unease. It made me think about how if Jean were in the exact same position, there would be calls for her head for violating his privacy, yet not a single peep about Phoebe Cuckoo.
    I agree. For the record I love the art in her solo and I don't think she is seeming grumpy or evil either
    Chris Claremont, Peter David, Mike Carey, Cullen Bunn = canon. Others = fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I agree. For the record I love the art in her solo and I don't think she is seeming grumpy or evil either
    I really love the art too. I was one of the nay sayers with Ibanez but he proved me wrong as he can really tell a story with his art.

I didnt see her as grumpy per se, more like annoyed that no one was taking her seriously. And defiant once she decided she will take care of this herself and not just go along with everyone's wait-and-see assumption.
    Last edited by Bart; 05-18-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Any character named Jean Grey is going to have every action dissected and critiqued, just like characters named Ororo Munroe, Scott Summers, Hank McCoy, etc. It's part of being an "A-lister" and something Cyke fans like myself can very much identify with. You should see the ongoing Cyke character assassination going on in the Storm vs Cyclops thread. I just stay away from that that little poison pill.

Don't sweat it too much if everyone doesn't agree. Free exchange of differing views is why these boards exist.

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Be understanding with them: It's not easy to find to find something to criticize about Jean; they do what they can.

Really nice wonder what's going on.
    First X-Lady

Quote Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
    Really nice wonder what's going on.
    maybe Emma? She's the only telepath they have scheduled to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    maybe Emma? She's the only telepath they have scheduled to appear.
    I agree. Jean looks angry/ shocked so maybe this is the first interaction between the two since IvX
    My Favourite Quotes:

Emma/Kitty: "This children, is Kitty Pryde, who apparently feels the need to make a grand entrance/I'm sorry. I was busy remembering to put on all my clothes/So gushingly glad you could join us"

Emma: "I love what you've done with the place, Kitty. It's like every thirteen year-old girl's dream. Where do you keep the unicorns? And, oh look, a redhead. How novel"

Psylocke: "If you don't get that glass out of my face, I'm going to jam it sideways straight up your bum"

Quote Originally Posted by WheelchairX View Post
    I agree. Jean looks angry/ shocked so maybe this is the first interaction between the two since IvX
    Their last interaction (that I can remember) was them laughing in the snow together in Bendis' Uncanny run. Was there anything since then?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Their last interaction (that I can remember) was them laughing in the snow together in Bendis' Uncanny run. Was there anything since then?
    If you don't count Emma gathering all the X-Men at the end of IVX an interaction then, yes; it would be.
    My Favourite Quotes:

Emma/Kitty: "This children, is Kitty Pryde, who apparently feels the need to make a grand entrance/I'm sorry. I was busy remembering to put on all my clothes/So gushingly glad you could join us"

Emma: "I love what you've done with the place, Kitty. It's like every thirteen year-old girl's dream. Where do you keep the unicorns? And, oh look, a redhead. How novel"

Psylocke: "If you don't get that glass out of my face, I'm going to jam it sideways straight up your bum"

As Ulfhammer said, the higher your status the more scrutiny you get. Just look at real life celebrity "culture".

And people expect the Cuckoos to be kinda terrible. It's part of their charm.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    As Ulfhammer said, the higher your status the more scrutiny you get. Just look at real life celebrity "culture".

And people expect the Cuckoos to be kinda terrible. It's part of their charm.
    the Cuckoos behave in a similar way to 7of9 in ST:Voyager. No filter. & yes it's part of their charm.

I personally get tired of everyone reacting like she's going to go Dark Phoenix at any moment. How many decades was she JUST Jean? Come on. bring that back.