Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Red Lanterns Annual #1

"Atrocities" cranks the action up to eleven! Guy Gardner fought hard to get Space Sector 2814 - including Earth - under Red Lantern protection. So of course Atrocitus has chosen Guy's homeworld as the arena for their murderous final battle! Red Lanterns will die! Traitors will emerge (and maybe die)! Rivers will run red! It's the first-ever RED LANTERNS ANNUAL, and it's absolutely unmissable!

Full preview here.

Mr. Miguel Sepulveda is hitting on all cylinders on this comic! Wow!

Also, wow, to what Atrocitus and his killers are doing to Earth!

This is going to be good, but I have a bad feeling about it.
    Inspired by SJNeal
    Was Comet Man.
    Member since Jan 2008.
    Forgot prior post count, but it was in the thousands.

I've liked Sepulveda's work since he was the regular artist on Stormwatch, his style is ver much suited for big scifi.

Really looking forward to both factions of Reds having a big showdown.
    AvP|Hellboy|Magnus RF|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fade Out|Lazarus|Low|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Zero|Valiant
    Batman|FuturesEnd|GreenLantern+Corps|JL|RedLantern s|Sinestro|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|Daredevil|Magneto|Thor|X-Force

I stopped buying most annuals cause usually they're a waste of money but once I saw Sepulvedas name on this I had to get it, I miss him being the regular artist on this book .

I don't like Supelveda as much as Vitti or Calafiore, but this was damn good. And I'm glad that Supergirl came back to fight alongside Guy and Bleez!

Sepulveda was welcome back, this was a good way to work him in. He did some good work here.

Story was fun. Big stakes, but not like "COSMIC" stakes, I mean yeah there will be eventually if one side wins this grudge match. Just big personal stakes, and actual character deaths. A big EFF YOU to Gardner. I'm betting odds Dex-Starr betrays Atrocitus next issue, just because I sort of want that cat to show Atrocitus why cats are the most sociopathic animals in the universe. "I'm your owner, now put food in my bowl, charge my Ring, and stop messing with Earth."

I've been digging the return use of Blarggh - that was a fun touch. Of course, that's done. Unless "Pirate Skeleton Red Lantern" is possible.

Real curious to see what Judge is thinking about. And actually about the Shadow-Thief thing, too.

I wonder if one of these new sub-Lanterns might stick around and become that original female Red Lantern Van Sciver put into the War of Light splash ... what the heck was her name? Antipathy!
    Last edited by K. Jones; 07-30-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Now that was just beautiful. Exciting, surprising, moving, and funny.

The brief conversation between Guy and Batman was worth the cover price alone!

Great, great issue!

A lot of great character moments for practically everyone and leaves you wondering on a few characters like Judge and Skallox and what they are up to. This easily could have had a huge assortment of guest stars, but Soule kept it very personal and made it all about the Red Lanterns. In actuality this is pretty much a culmination of the entire run as everything is touched on in some way shape or form. Glad to see Kara lending a hand too and she provides an interesting thought that can lead to Guy to take the path of hope like the upcoming Future's End issue suggests. Timeline wise I suppose this happens after Forever Evil and Superdoom, but before JLU since Kara was still on Earth and not out in space again.

Fantastic annual and can't wait to see how it all wraps up! ZZ!

Soule's revitalization of this title has been a quiet miracle.

Over the course of his run, he's done steady, unassuming character work. Nothing about the run, or the work, has been flashy, but he's turned these characters into living, breathing, 3 dimensional people. They rage, and war, and more than anything hate, but they also laugh and love, they have interests and hopes and as many strengths as flaws.

And never was that more evident than this issue, which wraps up a number of story and character beats, large and small. It had everything you could hope for; oceans of blood, love, a tour of earth, quadruple twists, death, a discussion of the feline sex drive, body parasites, Batman, and - of course - testicles.

There are Green Lantern books that more effective give us a sense of scale, and there are GL books with better art, but there is no GL book that better knows and understands its characters, and makes us understand them too.

Bravo, Charles Soule.
    My Blog! Thoughts, work updates, analysis! http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com

Shazam Fan Comic! Updated Weekly! http://billyandtawny.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post

Over the course of his run, he's done steady, unassuming character work. Nothing about the run, or the work, has been flashy, but he's turned these characters into living, breathing, 3 dimensional people. They rage, and war, and more than anything hate, but they also laugh and love, they have interests and hopes and as many strengths as flaws.

And never was that more evident than this issue, which wraps up a number of story and character beats, large and small. It had everything you could hope for; oceans of blood, love, a tour of earth, quadruple twists, death, a discussion of the feline sex drive, body parasites, Batman, and - of course - testicles.

There are Green Lantern books that more effective give us a sense of scale, and there are GL books with better art, but there is no GL book that better knows and understands its characters, and makes us understand them too.

Bravo, Charles Soule.
    There's no way I could have said it better myself. Excellent, on the spot overview of this title since Charles Soule took over. I mean, I liked it before him, but now, I really love it!

I just wish Miguel Sepulveda was on this comic every month. No knock against the current artist, just that Sepulveda's art is that good. He's perfect for this book.
    Inspired by SJNeal
    Was Comet Man.
    Member since Jan 2008.
    Forgot prior post count, but it was in the thousands.

"Quiet Miracle" is a great term, and totally fits.

This issue was utterly awesome from start to finish. And, damn it, if it didn't make me care about a testicle with teeth
    Ye gads, I've been retconned!

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post

Bravo, Charles Soule.
    Totally. Milligan's run isn't without its merits - after all he laid the groundwork for giving the Reds their intelligence back, and if you compare them together, you get a pretty stark contrast between what the Reds are like when Atrocitus is running the show, and what they're like when Guy is running the show (spoiler alert: Guy Gardner MAKES this comic and Atrocitus is a better villain). It's also the difference of like "Space Devils in Shakespearean Hell" versus "Space Bikers".

But anyway, the interest level skyrockets every issue. We're invested now. So a personal strike against things that mean something to Gardner hurts us, too. Although I'm frankly surprised Ice didn't appear in this issue. I mean, Shadow-Thief and Kara both showed up ... anyway, admittedly, Guy Gardner has a level of built-in cache that carried over from Tomasi's long tenure. But it was the right decision and has been perfectly utilized.

As for Kara ... she's actually had an underrated run since the N52 started, but what else is new, her Sterling Gates run before that was underrated as well. But Soule and Bedard have definitely put a little bit of the "Super" back in there. She's pretty inspirational, even while being a little more unsure of herself and who she wants to be because of her age and backstory. I mean if Jason Todd wants to date her, she's got a lot of big, red, rage-vomiting "uncles" and an "aunt" who are going to run him through the ringer.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I've been surprised at how much I'm enjoying Red Lanterns. I thought this annual was awesome.

Awesome scene w/ Batman & Guy. Ever since Gardner re-joined the Reds, this book has been getting better and better.

Great issue! It's great to see where the characters have arrived to since they started being mindless living beings.

Atrocitus is the man. He's like one of the biggest bads in the universe. He does his homework, covers all angles, and then he has his vengeance. You know, everything he does it's because he sees it as necessary, right, part of the laws of the universe. But how does attacking Earth fit into that?

Also, good-bye, Zox. He was one cool dude

Quote Originally Posted by AriesWarlock View Post
    Great issue! It's great to see where the characters have arrived to since they started being mindless living beings.

Atrocitus is the man. He's like one of the biggest bads in the universe. He does his homework, covers all angles, and then he has his vengeance. You know, everything he does it's because he sees it as necessary, right, part of the laws of the universe. But how does attacking Earth fit into that?

Also, good-bye, Zox. He was one cool dude
    With Dex in Atrocitus' crew, that leaves Bleez as the sole (Soule?) remaining member of this title... Yet it doesn't feel one bit like a new writer cleaning house for a new direction. This totally felt natural and with real stakes, exactly like his Swamp Thing book is playing out.