View Poll Results: What do you think on Diana Prince?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't mind it

4 8.33%
  • Depends

10 20.83%
  • I like it

26 54.17%
  • No

8 16.67%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I'll try and ignore everything and get it from the start. Diana is this young girl who wants to escape home and explore the world. I just dont believe she'd do it only because she fell in love with Steve. At home, she's a princess, so she has everything at her feet. Coming to this new world, i think that she would want something different, something she didnt have at home. To be normal, to not be a princess, to be able to mingle and be casual with everyone around her.

So CEO, Ambassador and all that are out for me. For one, half of DC's heroes are CEOs. Enough with that. Two, ambassadors and politicians do the most boring jobs in the world. It's giving speeches that makes WW boring to me. She has a peace keeping job as WW, she can talk to the UN in her superhero suit, she doesnt need to wear a suit and run an embassy to do the same thing. Let her do something else in her free time.

That leads me to give her an next door girl kind of identity and job. It could be anything really. Just find something fun and exciting.
    even though she is princess I don't want her to have everything at her feet. More of your mother is this and we will see if you are like your mother

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    List jobs you think would fit Diana.
    I think we all know the answer to that...

The cool thing about Diana Prince is that she was part of a pioneering generation of women in the military. And now that Wonder Woman is War, maybe a link back to the old military ID would be appropriate (though I haven't liked the Diana Prince ID for use in modern comics up until now). She could use her "communing with soldiers" powers (for lack of a better term) to set Diana Prince up as an independent consultant to the military (of the U.S., U.K., or some other country--or, maybe best of all, U.N. peacekeeping forces), with high-level security clearance, for when she wants to interact with military or government officials without being recognized as Wonder Woman. Technically, there'd be fraud involved, but I for one could overlook it as a nod to the old days.

And since this Diana would be thought of as an independent secret agent of sorts, nobody would be surprised not to know much about her private life (which she wouldn't really have, except as Diana of Themyscira, because Diana Prince would mostly be a straw identity for special jobs, like Batman's "Matches Malone" ID.--though I guess she could use it for occasional social appearances too.) I'd explain the obvious name and her ability to conceal her appearance with minimal effort by saying that the gods have the power to distract people from noticing them, with only minimal physical concealment, when they don't want to be noticed, and that could extend to stuff like names as well as physical appearance.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-17-2014 at 03:29 AM.
    "'Maybe,'" Mister Ernest said. "The best word in our language, the best of all. That's what mankind keeps going on: Maybe. The best days of his life ain't the ones when he said 'Yes' beforehand: they're the ones when all he knew to say was 'Maybe.' He can't say 'Yes' until afterward because he not only don't know it until then, he don't want to know 'Yes' until then. . . "--William Faulkner in "Race at Dawn"

One thing unless she tells the JL not even Batman should know who she is. By some magic protection or something else. I don't want Batman to know her Id.

List jobs you think would fit Diana.
    Diplomat, doctor, socialite, construction worker, lab tech, cop... Anything she feels like doing, really.

To you how should Diana get the last name?
    In days of yore? She bought it from a nurse called Diana Prince (who got it from her parents, presumably).
    Present continuity: she just made it up. Or Superman made it up, not sure which.
    Amy: Have you ever run away from something because you were scared, or not ready, or just... just because you could?
    The Doctor: Once. A long time ago.
    Amy: What happened?
    The Doctor: [gestures to himself] Hello!

As a day-in-day-out, full blown secret identity, no. I dont see the need for Diana to have one. Unlike Clark, Barry, Bruce, or most other characters who have a secret identity, Diana came to Man's World as an adult, and with a mission. Its not like she has a family living in New Hampshire she wants to keep out of the public eye or anything. She has no former "civilian" life to protect, and that's what a secret identity is supposed to be for. All of her friends are either war-trained Amazons, government agents and/or soldiers, or heroes. They are, for the most part, all quite capable of taking care of themselves. She has no "Aunt May" or "Mary Jane" to worry about keeping safe (aside from Zola anyway). And I dont know why she'd want to hide among regular people. Shes royalty and raised for rule; the idea of blending in with the peasants would be something done for fun, not as a way of life. I also dont see Diana looking at all the trouble her peers go through to protect their real names and going "Hey that looks like a good time, I'm going to completely invent someone I can pretend to be so I can struggle with all this mundane stuff too!" Diana, I imagine, likely sees it as a waste of time. Those hours spent at a job is time that could be spent teaching kids in rural third world country to read, or bringing medical supplies to places in need, or speaking at the UN and urging them to take action against terrorist nations.

However, if she used the Diana Prince ID in the same way Batman uses "Matches Malone" then I'd love it. If she needs to get away from it all and just wander around a shopping mall without drawing a crowd, or go enjoy a beer in a club, or go on a date with Clark or Steve, then having a fake identity makes sense and it works. And I dont see why she would need more than that. It would provide her the privacy she needs and the ability to get off the grid for a while, without having to tie her down to a regular job, fake social security number, taxes, rent, bills, and all the rest of it. Diana, generally, *should* be a public figure; a politician and diplomat who also serves as a hero and proponent of a better, more accountable, wiser, world. She wouldnt want to spend half her time blending in, she wants to be seen, she wants to be visible. Showing the world a better way is the entire reason she's here, not to hide among us.
    Higher, Further, Faster...More.

I don't want Batman to know her Id.
    But they're frien.... oh wait it's the new52. Nevermind that.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Diplomat, doctor, socialite, construction worker, lab tech, cop... Anything she feels like doing, really.
    She isnt real though, so some writer or editor has to choose for her.

To me Diana should just use it as a name and unlike Clark or Bruce, it's just a name. She is still the same. She uses the names. A job well a novelist. something that is easy to not be tied down to.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 05-20-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    If Wonder Woman has a secret ID and the world knows that Wonder Woman is PRINCEss Diana from Themyscira...the name Diana PRINCE makes absolutely no sense. No sense whatsoever. Everyone would easily figure it out. She'd need both a covert first and last name for her civilian identity.
    (I almost can't believe it) but I disagree. I would presume that the general public in comicsland wouldn't know, presume or even fathom that supers have secret ID's, since they are busy saving the world ALL the time. Plus, I don't think Diana Prince is that easy a leap from Princess Diana.

And she is a goddess who can fly, so I don't think someone would assume the lady at the grocery store or ARGUS HQ could do either.
    Are you sure that "by the grace of God" you survived? Maybe God was trying to get you, and missed.
    Twitter @RealWonderman

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    (I almost can't believe it) but I disagree. I would presume that the general public in comicsland wouldn't know, presume or even fathom that supers have secret ID's, since they are busy saving the world ALL the time. Plus, I don't think Diana Prince is that easy a leap from Princess Diana.

And she is a goddess who can fly, so I don't think someone would assume the lady at the grocery store or ARGUS HQ could do either.

On top of which.... at least pre Crisis, did the general public know she was Princess Diana? I don't think so.... (but maybe my memory fails me...lol) They knew she was an Amazon-- they might have even known she was from Paradise Island, but not her real name.

SO if the public doesn't know your real name, just that you're WW, then an alias of "Diana Prince" isn't that far fetched. I feel like it wasn't until the Post Crisis WW that everyone knew her as "Diana" and that WW was just a nom de guerre that the press put onto her.

M

The Diana Prince identity could work as an alter-ego kind of thing, as opposed to a secret identity. That way, she can still be a beacon of truth, and that other identity could be an extension of herself. She could use it if she just wanted to lay low, without being hassled or bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    The Diana Prince identity could work as an alter-ego kind of thing, as opposed to a secret identity. That way, she can still be a beacon of truth, and that other identity could be an extension of herself. She could use it if she just wanted to lay low, without being hassled or bothered.
    Agreed, I don't see it has a secret id but has a name she picks when she is in the outside world.

Unlike Clark or Bruce she doesn't need to clam down her personality but her real personality is there. She should extend herself with the id. What could work. Martial Arts, She could be doing something in a museum. Counseling

If Diana wants to spread of message of love and peace could she still use Diana Prince id? I mean it makes more sense.