View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
589. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

18 3.06%
  • BLING! [Roxanne Roxy Washington]

10 1.70%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

16 2.72%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

32 5.43%
  • HULKLING [Theodore Teddy Altman]

31 5.26%
  • KARMA [Xian Coy Mahn]

31 5.26%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

34 5.77%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

52 8.83%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

32 5.43%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

85 14.43%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

46 7.81%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

16 2.72%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

27 4.58%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

37 6.28%
  • WICCAN [William Billy Kaplan], the Demiurge

122 20.71%
Page 752 of 762 FirstFirst ... 252652702742748749750751752753754755756 ... LastLast
Results 11,266 to 11,280 of 11416
    Incredible Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Nope. She's said it won't be shown in the movie. This is my surprised face.

Attachment 56788
    I hate to say ''I told you so''.... actually, no, I love saying it because I love being right about how dismissive Marvel Studios is with LGBTQ representation. They need to get their shit together and get called out every single time. I regret nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    Yeah, I just read that follow up tweet... sounds like this could have just been another case of queerbaiting. I mean yeah, its nice she said the characters bi, but if its not actually show on screen its akin to just a theory. This kinda really sucks for me as a bi person, given how positive depictions of bisexual characters are rare enough in most media.
    I wouldn't blame Tessa here, honestly, because like I said before, she was correcting someone who said Valkyrie was lesbian in the comics and she was absolutely right to do so. Her tweet was important to remind people that bi people do exist, and Val is one of them. A lot of people just wrongly assumed things about her tweet, but she was careful enough to later confirm she was talking about the character in the comics and that while she tried to be faithful to that in her depiction of the character in the movie, there was nothing explicit on the script. There is only so much an actor can do to portray an LGBTQ person when they won't let you do it explicitly. That is not on the actor, but on the studio/writer/director. This one thing I'll say: I admire Tessa for bringing up the topic to attention, because now people WILL be talking about this and they WILL be wondering why that isn't shown on screen. The more Kevin Feige is cornered about this subject, the better. He has to realize he can't keep running away from this forever.

Anyway, I'm not trying to dismiss your feelings as a bi person, just to be clear. You have every right to be mad at the ''Don't Ask, Don't Tell'' policy Marvel Studios seems to have in their films regarding LGBTQ characters. I just think Tessa is not the one to be mad at here.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Can she really confirm it?

It isnt her IP, it's not in the movie.

So what this essentially means is 'she decided this' - that's great, but who cares?

Chris Evans could have decided to play Cap as in love with Bucky, but unless it's in the film, it's not worth reporting.

It's just 'actor says something you want to hear, now love me!'

Call me a cynic....
    Besides what I just said above, I don't think Kevin Feige or anyone else would come out and say ''Tessa is wrong and the character is not bi, she's straight.'' It would be shooting themselves on the foot, and they don't want that. What they might do, instead, is say something like ''yeah, we are aware of the character's sexuality in the comics and we think it's great! Who knows, maybe, one day, perhaps, in the future we will explore that! Nothing is impossible and we love diversity, so just wait and see!''

Also, speaking of Feige and LGBTQ characters, he says they have big plans for Korg in the future:

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/...agnarok-752739

Yay! Who's excited to see what they're NOT going to do with his sexuality? God, I'm extra bitter today.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    WaTXM huh? ^^ That came out of nowhere for me but was interesting lol. I don't think they've interacted much in 616 tho.

I wasn't aware Mystique was ever serious about Logan. I've mostly only seen intense dislike and/or lust between them, but there's definitely a lot of Wolverine stories I don't keep up with so.
    Yes lol

WATXM is what made me consider that as a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I hate to say ''I told you so''.... actually, no, I love saying it because I love being right about how dismissive Marvel Studios is with LGBTQ representation. They need to get their shit together and get called out every single time. I regret nothing.

I wouldn't blame Tessa here, honestly, because like I said before, she was correcting someone who said Valkyrie was lesbian in the comics and she was absolutely right to do so. Her tweet was important to remind people that bi people do exist, and Val is one of them. A lot of people just wrongly assumed things about her tweet, but she was careful enough to later confirm she was talking about the character in the comics and that while she tried to be faithful to that in her depiction of the character in the movie, there was nothing explicit on the script. There is only so much an actor can do to portray an LGBTQ person when they won't let you do it explicitly. That is not on the actor, but on the studio/writer/director. This one thing I'll say: I admire Tessa for bringing up the topic to attention, because now people WILL be talking about this and they WILL be wondering why that isn't shown on screen. The more Kevin Feige is cornered about this subject, the better. He has to realize he can't keep running away from this forever.

Anyway, I'm not trying to dismiss your feelings as a bi person, just to be clear. You have every right to be mad at the ''Don't Ask, Don't Tell'' policy Marvel Studios seems to have in their films regarding LGBTQ characters. I just think Tessa is not the one to be mad at here.

Besides what I just said above, I don't think Kevin Feige or anyone else would come out and say ''Tessa is wrong and the character is not bi, she's straight.'' It would be shooting themselves on the foot, and they don't want that. What they might do, instead, is say something like ''yeah, we are aware of the character's sexuality in the comics and we think it's great! Who knows, maybe, one day, perhaps, in the future we will explore that! Nothing is impossible and we love diversity, so just wait and see!''

Also, speaking of Feige and LGBTQ characters, he says they have big plans for Korg in the future:

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/...agnarok-752739

Yay! Who's excited to see what they're NOT going to do with his sexuality? God, I'm extra bitter today.
    They would only show it for milking purposes anyway.

Something they can throw out there to get the extra "views". Like they did with LeFou in Beauty and the Beast when they at the random just decided to announce "oh yeah he's gay and it was totally intentionally shot that way.. come see this EXCLUSIVE GAY SCENE!!."

Last edited by Majesty; 10-24-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    Yes lol

WATXM is what made me consider that as a possibility
    Thought so. Not sure why that person edited the conversation, the original version is suspicious enough. xD

Hmm, I wonder what came first, the Black Widow + Rogue team up or this? Either way, I guess writers have got Rogue's female type on lock if she ever were to be revealed as bi.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare
    So I finally got around to reading the latest issue of Generation X and I don't know what you people are going on about. There's zero hinting at anything between Quire and Benjamin. It has Quire explaining Benjamin's power to Nathaniel and Quire bigging himself up to Nathaniel while flat out stating there's nothing between them. But that's it.
    I'll just chalk it up to more wishfull thinking on the part of certain posters, like with Johhny Storm, Wolverine, Tony Stark, Gambit,... But with mean manipulative jerk replacing womaniser as character trait that people seem to be going wild over.
    It's part what he does and part dialogue.

Instead of denying any interest in Benjamin outright like "I'm straight, I'm not interested in guys like that" and leaving it at that its "I'd destroy him" while looking challengingly into Nathaniel's eyes. Then the scene of him undressing in the background while Benjamin is dejected and saying "I go after what I want unlike you" which is Quire being challenging again but also a bit... foreshadow-y? Their chemistry doesn't help.

But I freely admit to reading into it too much. That's probably not the writer's intention, since she's stated they are just friends.

As for it being a bad boy charm, nah, I don't even really like the bad boy archetype. I usually like sweet guys and fluff, but their chemistry has been good enough for me to ignore his history of being a jerk.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 10-24-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Thought so. Not sure why that person edited the conversation, the original version is suspicious enough. xD

Hmm, I wonder what came first, the Black Widow + Rogue team up or this? Either way, I guess writers have got Rogue's female type on lock if she ever were to be revealed as bi.

Reading the description I can only guess it's a scene from a fanfiction. All the videos seem to be. Either way, when I saw that episode, and subsequently that edit I was like "Yeah... I can see it.. not only can I see it.. I want that to happen!!!"

yeah Rogue's female type seemed to be on lock, I think in X-Men Evolution people were shipping her with Shadowcat a lot.. but without even thinking I already know what episode that probably started ...

I wonder if anyone caught the Buffy reference given how they were both dancing.

I did recognize that dance from somewhere, but didn't connect the dots until it was pointed out to me.

Oh Shadowcat, talk about a Clarmazon with lesbian shipbait. Rachel, Illyana, Karma... CC you were not subtle.

Also I am sad Karma is not used anywhere right now. She's my favorite New Mutant. I like that she's responsible and more down to earth than the other members.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 10-24-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Yeah, she was in love with Logan. Though things happened and decisions were made that the two of them never really know what would have happened if the other had went in a different direction. It comes up a lot of "what might have happened if Logan believed her" or something like that.
    Uh, where was this? Because I really can't think of a single instance that showed them as loving each other. There were times in the past where they were friendly. And times where they hated each other but still fooled around. But love? Uh, no. Love was never an option for them.

Oh Shadowcat, talk about a Clarmazon with lesbian shipbait. Rachel, Illyana, Karma... CC you were not subtle.

Also I am sad Karma is not used anywhere right now. She's my favorite New Mutant. I like that she's responsible and more down to earth than the other members.
    KIllyana is my ship of choice. (I know, Katyana is the popular version. But KIllyana is funnier to me.)

And yeah, Karma is awesome. I still think she'd be a natural at being a spy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    KIllyana is my ship of choice. (I know, Katyana is the popular version. But KIllyana is funnier to me.)

And yeah, Karma is awesome. I still think she'd be a natural at being a spy.
    lol it's bit mean though. Hasn't the poor girl suffered enough, even her ship names imply she dies?

To me the humor of the ship comes from a little sister stealing her brother's girlfriend away. I just picture Illyana smirking at Colossus while hugging Kitty. New way of adding drama to the already fractured Rasputin siblings relationship. "No snowflakes in hell" indeed. xD

A spy huh? Can't say I've ever pictured her as that, but she does strike me as preferring to not draw attention to herself.

Karma should for all intents and purposes appear more. But as I said in my rant, I'm not expecting it because they really don't want to focus on a lesbian relationship the way they like to focus on straight ones, or even the one gay one they push with Wiccan and Hulkling, particularly if a character is considered a top 10-15 character.

I get the feeling that if Karma did have a comic built around a relationship it would be one strictly for MARVEL to push forward, and then after the arc was done it'd never be talked about again and not treated with any kind of consistency, OR Karma would be paired with someone who is going to be in the background mostly.

Kind of like how Once Upon a Time teased Mulan with Princess Aurora.. and then teased Mulan with Merida... and then teased Mulan with (background never to be seen since season 1) character Red Riding Hood... only to then somehow for some reason pair Red Riding Hood with Dorothy after one episode of build and then never have either of them seen ever again.. but they can say "Hey we did it! So you can't ask anymore. Be happy with your ONE!"

I get the feeling they'd do the same thing with Karma. If fans outpoured and let Marvel know of someone whom Karma has great chemistry with that they could see it happening with and clamoring for MARVEL would respond by baiting and teasing the heck out of it but never committing to it. As annoying as it sounds.. its more annoying that it's more than likely true -_-

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    So I finally got around to reading the latest issue of Generation X and I don't know what you people are going on about. There's zero hinting at anything between Quire and Benjamin. It has Quire explaining Benjamin's power to Nathaniel and Quire bigging himself up to Nathaniel while flat out stating there's nothing between them. But that's it.
    I'll just chalk it up to more wishfull thinking on the part of certain posters, like with Johhny Storm, Wolverine, Tony Stark, Gambit,... But with mean manipulative jerk replacing womaniser as character trait that people seem to be going wild over.

Gay-baiting Feige? Good look with that.
    Hey! At least Johnny Storm and Daken have some good ol' chemistry and sexual tension. IDK he looks like he's on the exact same position Bobby was in a few years ago (everyone knows he's gay/Bi but Marvel's too scared to say it).

At least we can comfort ourselves that last time she had a real writer, Liu, it was one that tried to develop her more and resolve some of her issues with her family.

But yeah, Karma's love life has been surprisingly left unexplored iirc besides that one-night stand we saw during Fraction's run. lol I think we've seen more of Bling!'s attempts at relationships than Karma's. Poor girl.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя Tycon
    Hey! At least Johnny Storm and Daken have some good ol' chemistry and sexual tension. IDK he looks like he's on the exact same position Bobby was in a few years ago (everyone knows he's gay/Bi but Marvel's too scared to say it).
    This was brought up in one of the Iceman threads, but I agree that it would be interesting seeing Johnny show up in the series while Daken's tormenting (?) Bobby.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 10-24-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя Tycon View Post
    Yep..cause he's considered a top 10-15 character of his gender. If he was just some side character that barely appeared or was in the background, Marvel would have confirmed it by now.

You truly know what a company truly thinks about Gay/Bi/Lesbian relationships when you see whom they put in one.

And until they do it to one of their characters that's considered top 10-15 of their gender in terms of popularity and importance to the comic, heck maybe one day even top 5... then we know how they see it.

Who they don't, or whom they avoid giving those relationships to(despite tension or sense) is even more important to how they see it as a whole.. than who they do give those relationships to...

Like I said, even in DC with Batwoman.. everyone AND THE ROCK MEANS... everyone.. wanted her and Renee Montoya to be the couple. The most famous kiss from that comic came from the Christmas issue where her and Renee kiss one another and seemed to be getting back together after some growth and making peace with one another's mistakes.

The fans were ready.. they were willing.. THE MEDIA COVERED IT IN A POSITIVE LIGHT EVEN!!!

But what did DC do? They made Renee go away... to some mountain somewhere.. to get the Male Question "help" thus breaking the bond with Batwoman.. thus making Renee the new Question(which is WHY they split her from Batwoman's life in such a way) and thus pissing Kate off enough that she started seeing that side character they had teased.

Then they had her want to marry that side character.. and the comic never even got to a wedding.

Because Batwoman and the female Question dating each other... yeah.. can't do that.. they're both far too important.. we're just gonna put Batwoman with this side character the readers will never be able to truly see and we won't have to spend a lot of time on... and we'll bait the crap out of them with Renee and Huntress while never going all the way with it.

I'd never been more insulted and infuriated. But it told me what I needed to know about how they actually saw approaching the relationship.. and fact is.. they still didn't really want to. But even then they were bolder than Marvel and actually CONFIRMED a top 10-15 character(Catwoman who is actually Top 3-5) was bi-sexual and putting her in a relationship with the girl who was replacing her as Catwoman, Eiko Hasigawa. And even now do it with Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn (whom are both top 10, arguably top 5 as well) which makes me very happy.

Marvel on the other hand hasn't had guts like that since the Mystique/Destiny days. which is why no other woman has gotten to Raven's heart since Destiny.. and why Psylocke's lesbian relationship only lasted half of the next issue.. and why Karma will never get attention towards her relationship.

I long.. LONG.. LONG... for Karma to get a relationship at least as cohesive and consistent as Grace and Thunder had in the Outsiders DC series or what Grace and Thunder had in general(notice I say Grace and Thunder and not Ivy and Harley.. because even I am not holding my breath that long for Marvel to do something that far).

If they could just give me something like THAT for Karma then I would be happy. (not really HAPPY cause it wouldn't be as progressive as I wanted considering how many years had passed.. but I'd be freaking satisfied they even went that far).

AAAAGH! I'm ranting again

Last edited by Majesty; 10-24-2017 at 07:57 PM.

lol it's bit mean though. Hasn't the poor girl suffered enough, even her ship names imply she dies?

To me the humor of the ship comes from a little sister stealing her brother's girlfriend away. I just picture Illyana smirking at Colossus while hugging Kitty. New way of adding drama to the already fractured Rasputin siblings relationship. "No snowflakes in hell" indeed. xD

A spy huh? Can't say I've ever pictured her as that, but she does strike me as preferring to not draw attention to herself.
    It's not a mean ship name. It's calling them a KILLer couple. Or something.

I have Opinions on Illyana's sexuality. The original New Mutants was all about her being a lesbian.

Karma is built for espionage. Quiet, smart, attractive without being a knock-out, and with an understanding of information management.

But yeah, Karma's love life has been surprisingly left unexplored iirc besides that one-night stand we saw during Fraction's run. lol I think we've seen more of Bling!'s attempts at relationships than Karma's. Poor girl.
    The fact that her first appearance had her literally absorb her brother is the thing I find weird to leave unexplored.

And I still think a good running gag would be for Karma to just have a bad love life. Like, she gets a date with a great girl, then the school is attacked. Or she chats to a girl at a coffee shop, and realizes hours later, "Crap, she was flirting with me!" And just bad date after bad date. She goes on a date and it turns out it's with a supervillain. (And it's still a nice date, but, like, there's no way there's going to be a second date, you know?) I know it'd be mean. But I also think it'd be kinda funny.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    With the Johnny thing, It's not wishful thinking. There have been things that could be inferred as him not being 100% straight over the years and add this comment from Marjorie Liu:

Then it isn't something that came out of nowhere.

Also, for the longest time I thought Gambit was confirmed as bi...

It's also weird how Marvel seems to be a bit apprehensive when it comes to outing characters as bisexual. They'd out a character as gay, but they seem reluctant with bisexuality.
    Last edited by Crimz; 10-24-2017 at 08:15 PM.
    Check out : The Invisible Woman Appreciation thread!

I NEED an Invisible Woman solo! It's got to happen sometime right?......right?

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    AAAAGH! I'm ranting again
    lol it's ok to be unsatisfied with how Marvel's handled diversity. They do tend to lag behind (in certain aspects) compared to DC.

Unfortunately as seen with the Retailer thread, even Marvel's small steps are and can be met with significant backlash at times. I sort of understand why they've been wary. I just don't think adding diversity while effectively replacing classic characters with legacy characters was a smart move. It just breeds resentment in an already tricky situation.

Despite all that, I'm still surprised at how well Thor sells (and outsells) her male counterpart. So there's definitely success stories in this Marvel turnover.

But yeah, it'll take a while and I expect one step forward and two steps back, before we make good progress. But hey, at least we've gotten our first confirmed LGBT character on the small screen? Yay Karolina.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty
    It's not a mean ship name. It's calling them a KILLer couple. Or something.

I have Opinions on Illyana's sexuality. The original New Mutants was all about her being a lesbian.

Karma is built for espionage. Quiet, smart, attractive without being a knock-out, and with an understanding of information management.
    Ah I see, my bad. Yeah, besides her random comments on Roberto, Illyana seemed pretty gay to me during the New Mutants. Or asexual, it's hard to tell with her at times. She's mostly angry and snarky these days, with some brightness thrown in once and awhile.

She'd need to up her acting game. Karma seems like the type to get anxious easily and a spy needs her cool. But that doesn't mean she couldn't work at it, it might even help her get some self-confidence. It'd be interesting.

The fact that her first appearance had her literally absorb her brother is the thing I find weird to leave unexplored.

And I still think a good running gag would be for Karma to just have a bad love life. Like, she gets a date with a great girl, then the school is attacked. Or she chats to a girl at a coffee shop, and realizes hours later, "Crap, she was flirting with me!" And just bad date after bad date. She goes on a date and it turns out it's with a supervillain. (And it's still a nice date, but, like, there's no way there's going to be a second date, you know?) I know it'd be mean. But I also think it'd be kinda funny.
    I feel like that and her sexual assault history are difficult subjects to explore, because of how it can be viewed in conjunction with her sexuality. That might be why it was never explored, depending on when CC decided Karma was going to be a lesbian character.

I wouldn't mind a scenario like that. Some people just have the worst luck in love. Even superheroes, though it seems like everyone's relationships fall apart in the MU.

But yeah, it'll take a while and I expect one step forward and two steps back, before we make good progress. But hey, at least we've gotten our first confirmed LGBT character on the small screen? Yay Karolina.
    Joey from Agents of SHIELD beat her, though he wasn't a regular character the way Karolina will be.

Ah I see, my bad. Yeah, besides her random comments on Roberto, Illyana seemed pretty gay to me during the New Mutants. Or asexual, it's hard to tell with her at times. She's mostly angry and snarky these days, with some brightness thrown in once and awhile.
    Illyana engaged in a lot of performative sexuality. more than any of the other girls on the team, she talked about Cute Boys. But she was almost never shown actually thinking about them, only talking. She never had a romantic interest. Beyond that, though, she's a teen who tries to hide away a major part of who she is because she feels that part of her is twisted and wrong and wicked. And the two characters who take the longest to come around to trusting her are the ultra-religious girl, and the hyper-masculine boy.

Illyana is so totally a lesbian.

She'd need to up her acting game. Karma seems like the type to get anxious easily and a spy needs her cool. But that doesn't mean she couldn't work at it, it might even help her get some self-confidence. It'd be interesting.
    Karma spent a while working for her crime boss uncle. And she's fought Sentinels. "Anxious" doesn't seem like it'd be a problem.

Plus, as a spy, Karma would definitely get the opportunity to seduce the bad guy's hot lady assistant.

I feel like that and her sexual assault history are difficult subjects to explore, because of how it can be viewed in conjunction with her sexuality. That might be why it was never explored, depending on when CC decided Karma was going to be a lesbian character.
    Claremont only decided it with the MekaniX mini, and he was building off hints from an X-Force story in the late '90s. I think Karma absorbing her brother is just one of those things that got quietly retconned away. I actually recently re-read the first issue of that Beast mini she was in in 1997, and her history in that issue makes no mention of her brother. It has her talk about how her uncle found out about her power and tried to exploit her. So I suspect her brother's just not canon any more. Still, it could make for a fantastic story that really gets into the horror of her possession power, by turning her into the victim of it. And it could also lead to her brother's return, giving the X-Men another recurring villain.