Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28687475767778
Results 1,156 to 1,165 of 1165
    #MakeMineMilkshake CaptCleghorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Do people really say that, Capt. C? I'm 'bout as old as they get and certainly well-experienced a fan and I read Squirrel Girl as if it's particularly written for someone like me: who'd appreciate why Doom's subjects would think they way they do in the latest issue.
    The lack of detail in Erica Henderson's art as well as the purity of motives makes the book appropriate for kids and this does look and read like a kids' book. Reading USG since the first issue and the ending where Kraven is sent off to hunt truly fearsome prey, the same plan used by Cyclops in an early X-Men vs. Sentinels story. At that time, I knew there was stuff in here for seasoned fans. But, yeah, too many people think USG is a kids' book. Look at the Eisner it won this year.

Of course I am assuming long time, seasoned fans would be older adults. The gift of this book is it has something for many, many different groups. It's a book for us, it's also a book for young kids getting into this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Do people really say that, Capt. C? I'm 'bout as old as they get and certainly well-experienced a fan and I read Squirrel Girl as if it's particularly written for someone like me: who'd appreciate why Doom's subjects would think they way they do in the latest issue.
    The book is for all ages but I feel that North have made this book to be friendlier and targeting more on the younger audience.
    "Lightning, deliver this place from darkness." - Storm in X-men TAS.

You should read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl solo, X-men Gold, Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther solo, Black Panther And The Crew and Black Panther: World of Wakanda

"The Month of May is Ororo Munroe aka Storm Month"

Faves: Ororo Munroe aka Storm (Marvel), X (Dark Horse), Vincent Van Goat (Valiant), Superboy Prime (DC), Ingrid (Street Fighter), Celine Dion (Music)

It really feels so bad when you can't complete what you wanted to collect,

It started with when the comic shop wasnt able to secure a copy of USG#5 which was unacceptable for me cos i pay in advance like i deposit money worth 5 issues. And when issue #5 is released and they get a copy, that's the time they will ship issue #1-5 to me.

I already paid for USG #16-20. I text the guy i always communicate with through text at least once a month , to remind him about securing a copy for me. But last month, he told me he already resigned and is currently in the USA. he added that once he gets back to the Philippines, he'll take care of my order. 3 Weeks has passed, no text from him (i will text him after this post and i hope he will reply) i am sorry but ordering the comic from another island is already a hassle , waiting for the 5th issue to be available before all five issues (cos i would pay the shipping fee if they will ship every issue every month) gets shipped to me, and they failed to give me a copy of USG #5, and now the guy resigned and to ask for the person's info who is taking his job is another hassle.

i am sorry fellow SG fans and to the SG solo team, Mr. North and Ms. Henderson, i am sorry. I am stopping buying/collecting the USG ongoing solo.

Too much hassle.

But I'll still continue to be a Squirrel Girl fan (and will forever be) and I hope one of you can make a summary for every USG issue starting #21. Ill check previous pages if somebody already made one since it's already USG #25 for August 2017
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 08-12-2017 at 09:13 PM.

You should read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl solo, X-men Gold, Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther solo, Black Panther And The Crew and Black Panther: World of Wakanda

Faves: Ororo Munroe aka Storm (Marvel), X (Dark Horse), Vincent Van Goat (Valiant), Superboy Prime (DC), Ingrid (Street Fighter), Celine Dion (Music)

Ultimate Member

You pay in advance, they fail to deliver? I bet that guy quit before he was pushed. It honestly sounds like this guy deserved the sack. And if you paid for any issues you didn't get, they'd better refund you, or you can take them to court.

As for getting the issues, you have two options. Either go digital, or find an online store that ships to your location.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    It really feels so bad when you can't complete what you wanted to collect,

It started with when the comic shop wasnt able to secure a copy of USG#5 which was unacceptable for me cos i pay in advance like i deposit money worth 5 issues. And when issue #5 is released and they get a copy, that's the time they will ship issue #1-5 to me.

I already paid for USG #16-20. I text the guy i always communicate with through text at least once a month , to remind him about securing a copy for me. But last month, he told me he already resigned and is currently in the USA. he added that once he gets back to the Philippines, he'll take care of my order. 3 Weeks has passed, no text from him (i will text him after this post and i hope he will reply) i am sorry but ordering the comic from another island is already a hassle , waiting for the 5th issue to be available before all five issues (cos i would pay the shipping fee if they will ship every issue every month) gets shipped to me, and they failed to give me a copy of USG #5, and now the guy resigned and to ask for the person's info who is taking his job is another hassle.

i am sorry fellow SG fans and to the SG solo team, Mr. North and Ms. Henderson, i am sorry. I am stopping buying/collecting the USG ongoing solo.

Too much hassle.

But I'll still continue to be a Squirrel Girl fan (and will forever be) and I hope one of you can make a summary for every USG issue starting #21. Ill check previous pages if somebody already made one since it's already USG #25 for August 2017
    Totally agree with Digifiend, don't give up, there are plenty of great online comic shops in the states that are happy to ship international--I have had good luck with "Midtown Comics". Online is great too.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'd go with best summation page ever. And people still say this isn't a book for the older, experienced fan.

I definitely think it's written primarily for kids, say grades 5-8. In the U.S. you can't just buy comics at newsstands, and most people grow up in utterly unwalkable suburbs, kids can't buy much of anything without the assistance of a parent, so the kid's books are really written for the parents who decide what their kids should read--it's appropriate for the creators to put a lot in there for the adults, and if they do their job very well, which they generally do, adults will want to read it for their own enjoyment anyway.

If you think about the last couple of issues, all the scenes of just frolicking with dinosaurs--not very interesting to me, but plays very well with kids up to early teens I would think. On the other hand, the descriptions of how the different groups approached a technical problem where my kind of fun, but you would have to explain it to a child, it plays as educational from a parents standpoint, and as entertainment for the kind of readers who post in this thread. Even the way SG is drawn in the book, her distinctive unsexyness that draws so much vocal criticism from certain circles. It's highly desirable as a parent who doesn't want to risk promoting body image problems--or unreasonable expectations depending on the gender of the child.

Interesting analysis, Mechazawa. Seems to make a lot of sense, (uncommon in this particular decade!)
    Anyway, clearly it's 'also' written for me, so I'm just happy it's doing well, finding this broad audience, and I'm happily, patiently awaiting next issue.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Jack Staff, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Rat Queens, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Usagi, Velvet

#MakeMineMilkshake CaptCleghorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazawa View Post
    I definitely think it's written primarily for kids, say grades 5-8. In the U.S. you can't just buy comics at newsstands, and most people grow up in utterly unwalkable suburbs, kids can't buy much of anything without the assistance of a parent, so the kid's books are really written for the parents who decide what their kids should read--it's appropriate for the creators to put a lot in there for the adults, and if they do their job very well, which they generally do, adults will want to read it for their own enjoyment anyway.

If you think about the last couple of issues, all the scenes of just frolicking with dinosaurs--not very interesting to me, but plays very well with kids up to early teens I would think. On the other hand, the descriptions of how the different groups approached a technical problem where my kind of fun, but you would have to explain it to a child, it plays as educational from a parents standpoint, and as entertainment for the kind of readers who post in this thread. Even the way SG is drawn in the book, her distinctive unsexyness that draws so much vocal criticism from certain circles. It's highly desirable as a parent who doesn't want to risk promoting body image problems--or unreasonable expectations depending on the gender of the child.
    There are many great things about this series. It's able to write to many groups without alienating any of them. Kids can go through it and get a story, a moral, as well as excitement. Adults can catch jokes that go by the kids but are still appropriate for them should they catch them. And the seasoned fan has their likes met also. The book is good-natured and can laugh WITH comic book tropes, not at them.

Doreen, as a character, is admirable. She's looking to do the right thing all the time. She stands by her friends and even tries to help her enemies. She also gets mad. This is important as it shows you that it does happen and there is a way to handle that anger. Of course, that's more for kids, but for a seasoned fanboy like me, it shows she does have human qualities. And let's be honest. What superhero comic fan would be excited by real dinosaurs? Seeing SG thrilled and overly excited is great.

The characterization in this book is extraordinary. Doreen, Nancy, and the others all gorw and adpt. They have their distinct qualities and reasons they're around. They're all funny, but none of them are jokes.

I still remain convinced Doreen's legs are thick because of the squirrel's large hind legs. But her look is perfect. Erica Henderson is a wizard.

Fellow Squirrel Girl fans, please like and RT my tweet for Squirrle Girl's inclusion in MVCI here: https://twitter.com/RoucherMunroe/st...93727487172608

Ultimate Member

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #26
    RYAN NORTH with ERICA HENDERSON (W)
    CARLA SPEED McNEIL, CHIP ZDARSKY, MICHAEL CHO, RAHZZAH, RICO RENZI & MORE (A)
    COVER BY ERICA HENDERSON
    • In this special standalone issue, Squirrel Girl has convinced, cajoled, and otherwise induced her friends in the Marvel Universe to make comics of their own! For the very first time, find out what kind of comics your favorite Marvel characters would REALLY make!
    • Will Tony Stark write author-insert coffee-shop alternate-reality comics where everyone talks up how great he is? It seems likely, and yet, he has given us something EVEN CRAZIER to publish!
    • Featuring TONS of special guest artists, including a legendary comic strip artist making his Marvel debut!
    • This unique view of both Squirrel Girl and the Marvel Universe is sure to make readers laugh, turn the page, read a bit, see a new joke, and then laugh again! It may also make readers say, “Oh my gosh you’ve gotta read this comic; I’m so glad I purchased it at my local comic-book store and will definitely patronize them again in the near future!!”
    • NO OTHER COMIC is making this explicit promise this month, so in our opinion you should definitely order our talking squirrel comic book.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

U.S.AVENGERS #12
    AL EWING (W) • PACO DIAZ (A)
    COVER BY PACO MEDINA
    CANNONBALL RUN Part 2
    • Glenbrook goes to war — and the U.S.Avengers are caught in the middle!
    • But do they side with humanity — or the alien invaders?
    • It’s a final battle for the soul of America — over a million light-years from Earth!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99