Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Marvel Teams Ready to Follow in "Guardians of the Galaxy's" Big Screen Footsteps

As "Guardians of the Galaxy" rules theaters worldwide, CBR offers our ideas for some other unlikely superhero teams we think are ready for their close-up.

Full article here.

Runaways - Yes, hell the first series is basically one long movie
    Damage Control - No, might work for an Agents of Shield subplot though
    Young Avengers - Maybe....10 years down the line
    New Warriors - pass... 90's excess was nice but there's a reason this franchise hasn't been able to relaunch.
    Alpha Flight - Maybe but how do you make a team without mutants

I would insert....

Next Wave - I think if you need to go meta this is the team to do it.

Thunderbolts - I believe you can have three decent members already with Tim Roths, Abomination, Lee Paces, Ronan and Tom Hiddleson's Loki. Loki might actually be a better Thunderbolts leader than Norman or Zemo because he's got a pretty decent fan base and his character works in areas of Grey.

i would love an Alpha Flight movie, but I'd want it to be done by Disney/Marvel Studios, and I'm not sure if the name and the team is under Fox's mandate (or if they could pull an Avengers 2 and just not refer to mutants). I remember seeing Alpha Flight on a screen in X2.

It would be easy to have Northstar and Aurora be something other than mutants. Depending on the explanation given for Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, that might work.

For a while in comics, it was said that Aurora and Northstar were human/elf hybrids. That could still work (and tie it in with the Thor films). Beyond that, I don't think there are any mutants...mystics, tech, aliens, magical creatures, and adventurers. That's the basic team right there.

I'll definitely second Nextwave's inclusion, as well as add Power Pack and the Shadow Initiative (Bengal, Constrictor, Typhoid Mary, and Trauma to start) from Dan Slott's Avengers: Initiative run.

Good list (DEM RUNAWAYS). I've also been catching up on Wolverine & The X-Men through Marvel Unlimited, and an X-school TV show could also do really well. Get some of the other X-faculty who haven't been big on screen like Husk, Doop, and Warbird, then add in the kids from W&TXM - Quentin Quire, Idie, Genesis, Broo, the new Hellfire Club as enemies, etc. Might be a way for Marvel to get around the whole Fox rights tangle.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

An Alpha Flight movie would be awesome, but obviously the only way it would work is as an X-Men spinoff. Which is fine, I guess. I'd just prefer they be their own thing.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

New Warriors and Runaways I think would work better as animated films/TV series

the rest I'm indifferent about, I could take them or leave them, although I rather leave them. the New X-Men (Academy X) are the ones I think deserve a movie. Just in case I'm talking about Elixir, Hellion, Dust, Gentle, Rockslide, Prodigy, Anole, Surge, Pixie, Mercury, and X-23

Can we just forget and burn that incarnation of the Young Avengers and only go with the original? This article makes me gag.

I don't think Alpha Flight NEEDS to come from the X-Men franchise. They aren't mutants, aside from Aurora and Northstar. They are basically the Canadian Avengers, they could survive on their own merits if done right.

Whoever above said the Thunderbolts, yes I would love that. I'd actually been thinking about that for a while. I sort of wish Marvel would seed the low-lever IM/Cap/Thor rogues into the opening scenes of the sequels, just to introduce them -- folks like Beetle, Radioactive Man, Moonstone, etc that don't warrant being the main villain of the movie -- so they could return as the Masters of Evil and do the siege on the Avengers storyline in Avengers 3, which could spin-off a Thunderbolts flick. I'd love that but it probably won't happen.

Hmm, I was wondering if Marvel could still do the New Mutants, or even Defenders from the older days. Maybe even the Micronauts.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanJeff79 View Post
    I don't think Alpha Flight NEEDS to come from the X-Men franchise. They aren't mutants, aside from Aurora and Northstar. They are basically the Canadian Avengers, they could survive on their own merits if done right.
    Agreed, 100%!

However I don't think we could say the same of anyone at Marvel Studios (or Comics, for that matter)...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Still... i think Fox owns Alpha Flight rights.. even without mutant origins, the team originated in the X-Men books.
    i agree with the Young Avengers, the first incarnation, the second was awful.
    but.. Wiccan and Speed are mutants, right? and Hulkling is half skrull, which i think Fox owns the rights to because of the FF rights... and Estature.. well that would be impossible with the mess of the Ant-Man movie...
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

What, no Night Shift??!!? *flips table*
    ☆*・゜゚・* Carnage sucks *・゜゚・*☆

I'm stunned that people continue to push Runaways as a movie when it would be much better served by a tv series, that better supports long-form storytelling and in depth character analysis.

Agents of Atlas. Think of how cool Gorilla Man and M11 would look on screen. Have some built in ties with SHIELD through Jimmy Woo being a former agent already. Venus might be tricky if they don't want to get into Greek mythology in the movies, but some clever writer could figure out how to tie her into Asgard I'm sure. The only real question would be Namora since Marvel doesn't have the rights to Namor.