Super Moderator

Default SDCC: Comic Creators Offer Varied Thoughts on The Switch to Digital

Mark Waid hosted a vast array of creators at the Switch to Digital panel during Comic-Con, discussing the benefits and new challenges of digital.

Full article here.

I kind of understand retailers being concerned that digital will be the death of the LCS, but really, that's not the case. Comic book stores cater to collectors, digital distribution caters to people who just want to read. They're very different consumer bases.

Back on FCBD, appropriately, I had a chance to speak briefly to Keith Giffen. He expressed support for digital comics, yet offered the opinion that if the "hard copy" versions sold in comic shops had sold out their first printings, a digital version should be offered free of charge. Even if this is a step too far for many publishers and creators to support, it makes little sense to me why one should be expected to pay the same 3 or 4 dollar price for a digital comic as one pays for real, and collectable, issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Law View Post
    Back on FCBD, appropriately, I had a chance to speak briefly to Keith Giffen. He expressed support for digital comics, yet offered the opinion that if the "hard copy" versions sold in comic shops had sold out their first printings, a digital version should be offered free of charge. Even if this is a step too far for many publishers and creators to support, it makes little sense to me why one should be expected to pay the same 3 or 4 dollar price for a digital comic as one pays for real, and collectable, issue.
    Actually, Image and Dark Horse offer a lot of digital comics for 2.99, while the print copies are 3.50.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Quote Originally Posted by NateDizzy View Post
    I kind of understand retailers being concerned that digital will be the death of the LCS, but really, that's not the case. Comic book stores cater to collectors, digital distribution caters to people who just want to read. They're very different consumer bases.
    LCS live and die off marvel and DC books and that's what will hurt LCS and print most in the long run. I don't like reading digital comics but I like that the market is open and their are options out there that i don't see in LCS. I really hope this takes off and pushes LCS stores to diversfy more again, like they did int he 80's and 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Law View Post
    You're buying the content. If you download a movie from amazon the cost is generally the same as buying a blue ray. If you rent a streamed movie it's the same as a physical dvd rental. it's this kind of entitled outlook that is the biggest hurdle artists face in the digital age. That their work should be free.

I do agree that psychologically i have trouble paying 4 dollars for a digital comic...but i have trouble paying 4 dollars for a printed comic as well. the cost is too much for the content right now.
    Last edited by prismablue; 08-17-2014 at 04:30 PM.

FYI, Batton Lash is not the "co-creator" of Wolff & Byrd, Counselors of the Macabre. He is the sole creator, of the series, which has been called Supernatural Law since the late 1990s. More info can be found at www.exhibitapress.com