Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Amazing Spider-Man 2" Webs Up a $92 Million Opening Weekend

The sequel to Sony's Spider-Man reboot lands big in North America, with a worldwide haul of $369 million thus far.

Full article here.

Can we please merge all of the amazing spider-man 2 threads?

This is going to be the worst performing Spider-man film yet for sure.

The writing was just too subpar to make a film worth repeat viewings.

Should I feel weird that despite an enduring love of both Spiderman and X-Men, deep down I'm rooting for each film franchise to fail with their newest outings? I'm excited to watch both this and DoFP, but when I look at their earnings reports, I just want to see them bomb. I know that Marvel Studios will never be whole, but the fantasy of an MCU with all of these characters fills me with such intense longing. It's why I haven't been to the movies this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    Should I feel weird that despite an enduring love of both Spiderman and X-Men, deep down I'm rooting for each film franchise to fail with their newest outings? I'm excited to watch both this and DoFP, but when I look at their earnings reports, I just want to see them bomb. I know that Marvel Studios will never be whole, but the fantasy of an MCU with all of these characters fills me with such intense longing. It's why I haven't been to the movies this weekend.
    Even if Marvel got the rights back, you would really only see Spider-Man and Wolverine adventuring with the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    Even if Marvel got the rights back, you would really only see Spider-Man and Wolverine adventuring with the Avengers.
    Yeah... no.

Spider-Man is / was their biggest character in just about any medium, period. I'm sure Marvel would try to reboot him again, and do it much more properly this time.

Nah, there are plenty of event stories that could be told (Secret Wars, Infinity Gauntlet...), plenty of team-up stories (FF taking down Galactus with Thor, Dr Strange, Cap & others, the Marvel Two-In-One annual that pitted a good chunk of the Marvel Universe against Thanos), and how cool would a simple cameo be? "Need help with the Absorbing Man there, Cap?" "No thanks, Spider-Man, I'm just wrapping things up here." The examples I listed are really just the tip of the iceberg.

I thought the movie was better than the previous one, only for all the villain appearances. The original Spider-Man & Spider-Man 2 were better, and I still haven't decided where this one ranks next to Spider-Man 3. Some parents might not be taking their kids to see this one due to a certain sad scene. I heard at least 3 people in the not-so-crowded theater crying. And the post-credits scene I got was an X-Men DoFP promo, NOT the Secret Six teaser, so that really sucked. The villains' characterizations were really lacking and their motivation was weak and they were not sympathetic at all, which is a real cause for concern considering Sony's plans to launch some Spidey foe films from here.

I hear ya, but at this point, I think you gotta go with what makes sense for you as yourself, rather than what you want. You could go see it or you can avoid it, but unless you have a following as massive as a celebrity, with the ability to dictate what is considered cool and what's not, you won't be affecting the bottom line too much by not going. Go see the movie and judge it on it's own merit. The numbers will work themselves out. I get the feeling that this movie did not do the kind of opening box office that Sony would have wanted considering that this is Spider-Man and not someone like Thor or Captain America, but they have plans for 2 other movies after this.

Or don't go see the movie if you think it'll suck, cuz that's also something that is doing right by you.

Maybe if Marvel Studios initially started off with access to Spider-Man and X-Men movie rights. My feeling is that Marvel Studios is so far along with plans, even something as major as getting the rights back to Spider-Man/X-Men/Fantastic Four will not change their plans. I think they go forward with their initial plan up to Phase 3. I think Feige said they have movies planned up until 2028. That's quite ambitious, but I also think that if they were to get one or all their major franchises back, those plans might change...but not until after phase 3 is done.

Personal idea, but I think Marvel Studios phase 3 plan ends with Avengers 3, but I think Avengers 3 will not be the Infinity Gauntlet saga. I think Marvel Studios might actually do a separate movie just based on Infinity Gauntlet storyline as a movie in itself and not make it a part of Avengers 3.

If you want to see it, see it. If not, don't. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that. Trying to attach some kind of agenda to it is ultimately a waste of time and energy.
    Last edited by kalorama; 05-04-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damos40 View Post
    Yeah... no.

Spider-Man is / was their biggest character in just about any medium, period. I'm sure Marvel would try to reboot him again, and do it much more properly this time.
    I don't know if Audiences would want to see Uncle Ben die again. Then again, they keep showing Bruce's parents dying so... Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandas View Post
    Nah, there are plenty of event stories that could be told (Secret Wars, Infinity Gauntlet...), plenty of team-up stories (FF taking down Galactus with Thor, Dr Strange, Cap & others, the Marvel Two-In-One annual that pitted a good chunk of the Marvel Universe against Thanos), and how cool would a simple cameo be? "Need help with the Absorbing Man there, Cap?" "No thanks, Spider-Man, I'm just wrapping things up here." The examples I listed are really just the tip of the iceberg.
    The issue is that Disney is only going to make 2 Super Hero movies a year and every 5th or 6th movie is going to be an Avengers film. They have to be incredibly picky as to who and what they put onto the big screen. Getting back the license for Spidey and the X-Men does not mean they will make any more super hero films, or that any of those characters will be utilized. They have a good thing going right now and I am sure they would not risk tipping the applecart this soon. In the long run, they would totally find a way to integrate at least some of the characters into the MCU, most likely Spidey and Wolverine (the two most popular characters). villains are a completely different ball of wax. I bet Marvel/Disney would kill to get a hold of any and all Spidey and FF villains.

I don't know if Audiences would want to see Uncle Ben die again. Then again, they keep showing Bruce's parents dying so... Who knows.
    They don't need to make another Spider-Man film just to retell his origins again.

good luck on the next films-- I think it's horrendous that Miles Morales has been taken off the table as a sequel character, though. I have no interest in seeing any more sequels.

I, for one, don't want to see Uncle Ben die yet again. Nor do I wish to see Gwen Stacy die again. I honestly don't even want to see Peter and Mary Jane build a relationship again. Sony is stuck with what they have now so they are going to have to make this thing work.
    "O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens... When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him?" Psalm 8

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    good luck on the next films-- I think it's horrendous that Miles Morales has been taken off the table as a sequel character, though. I have no interest in seeing any more sequels.
    I thought they missed an opportunity to have miles be the little kid stand up to the rhino at the end of the movie.
    "Drewbacca?"

I'm sorry I was expecting shadayim

Dude this movie was incredible, Sensational, and Amazing (pun intended)!! I loved Electro, in my mind and my Dad's as well, he stole the show! I also loved how Harry Osborn was more of a phsycopath than the James Franco one. I love how (spoiler alert) that this movie was an original take on the "death of Gwen Stacy". I just thought the ending was weird is all. Not only do I give this movie 5 stars out of 5, but I also think this was the best SM movie ever.

PS- I'm surprised this wasn't a bigger weekend haul like Captain America: The Winter Soldier or even SM and SM3. Like I just said, this was a great movie.