Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 91 to 103 of 103
  1. #91
    Fantastic Member Armor of God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Then why do you keep trying to big him up?




    Red Skull but his face is black instead of red does not an interesting visual make. Penguin’s physique is a lot more interesting since it’s a body type not often seen in superhero media.


    Penguin isn’t exactly lacking in this regard and has actual character to compliment it. Blackmask has never done anything exceptional outside of War Games and that time he killed Catwoman’s brother-in-law. Compared to most Batman villains, he’s a punk.


    Harvey Dent and Red Hood do it better. Literally any villain could take this place. This is all Sionis has going for him. Take it away and he’


    You spend an awful amount of time arguing in his favour. Just saying.


    What are the Hugo Strange stories that are top ranked? Ask several people to make a list of top Batman stories and only two or three entries will be shared among individual lists.
    Here’s a list I found on Nerdist. Guess who’s in the number one ranked story and who isn’t.


    You mean the least interesting Batman animated series ever produced? Not the best defense.



    It is also incomplete and revolves around a plot that can’t be adapted into the DCEU since a certain character has not been established.



    You do lottery number predictions too?



    And how many remember these?



    And you somehow failed to recall that the Batman in that story isn’t Bruce but Dick Grayson.



    Did it skip your attention that these are Nightwing or Titans stories and have nothing to do with Batman? You can’t just expect them to make a good story of Deathstroke as a Batman villain because he’s an enemy to his kid. Son of Batman and Arkham Origin tried that and look how well those two turned out.



    There is nothing original about “this guy is just like the hero except he’s evil”. That’s virtually every Marvel solo movie from phase 1. George R.R. Martin even joked about it. Also, they already did it with Bane in The Dark Knight Rises.


    They’d already been used in numerous shows and comics.


    That is not the same as being considered the weakest element. If anything, it’s that movie’s version of Batman that is considered the weakest element of the movie. Plenty talked about the Penguin.
    Because I find him a better choice and by your logic Penguin is a loser version of Kingpin.

    You're kidding with that one right. Watch any crime drama, there will be atleast one fat person who'll just happen to be corrupt or a criminal or both. His body is plenty overexposed to reinforce the crooked fat guy stereotype. Its almost tradition for the lowly pathetic criminal to be fat.

    Penguin is lacking 100%. Even in Pain and Prejudice Batman treated as a lightweight. He's not a threat whatsoever.

    Literally every criminal is better than Penguin. Black Mask has taken over the underworld, the Great White Shark has ruled it, as has Selina, Bane has done so twice. Penguin has NEVER accomplished anything like that. He just plays secretary to the top dog.

    Monster Men and Prey are top ranked. Penguin has appeared as a jobber in dozens of comics. Stop pretending as if he was an important part of The Long Halloween because he was not. What a ridiculous strawman argument.

    Least interesting to you maybe, still doesn't change the fact that he was the main villain of a Batman product something which Penguin hasn't been in decades.

    I made it rather clear that Dearhstroke can be used as a gateway to Robin, Nightwing or both. So we get a new villain, new type of villain and an extended Bat family in one go. Why do I need to do lottery number predictions? Priests Deathstroke is acclaimed, it will go down as a classic run, maybe even the best comic of the Rebirth era. People dont remember the filler arcs with Penguin either.
    Did you even bother to watch TT season 1 or read Nightwing:Renegade? Deathstroke was literally presented as the devil on Robin/Nightwing's shoulder trying to corrupt him. Teen Titans wasn't even subtle about it. The basic story doesn not require the Titans. It was an original story designed to have Robin go up against an evil Batman. The only thing that they need to change is have Batman go up against evil Batman and if they add Robin to it then its even better.

    There is nothing original about the fat mobster who got bullied either. Its a lame tiresome cliche. Batman has never faced off against a dark twin. The conflict with Bane was presented as similar to David vs Goliath not two equals going toe to toe. Tolkein can also say whatever he wants what is fact is that Killmonger was widely acclaimed in Panther, Sinestro, Black Adam and Zoom are the biggest and most popular villains of their respective foes by a country mile, Venom is huge, he's the best selling Marvel villain if you go by his comic sales. Even outperforms fourth pillar Harley. Moreover Deathstroke is visually, conceptually and pretty much in every manner nothing like Batman. This isn't some Killer Moth or Owlman like situation. He can function as an evil Batman, soldier of fortune, criminal mastermind etc.

    Doesn't change the fact that Nolan went with something new to launch his series.

    They talked about how awful and unappealing he was. Even Penguin fans dont like that take.

  2. #92
    Fantastic Member Armor of God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    409

    Default

    I'll be too busy over the week to respond to any post especially if its a lengthy one so I'm bowing out of this debate. If Penguin makes it to the film then its a bitter pill I'll swallow and hope that I become a fan atleast of the specific movie version.

    Peace

  3. #93
    Amazing Member Nero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Lol, if it's Penguin vs. Black Mask, I'm going with Oswald every time. Literally nobody gives a shit about Black Mask. He's a non-entity whose gimmicks are covered by far better villains, including Penguin and Two-Face. His origin involves getting dropped as a baby and getting bitten by a rabid raccoon. He has a wife named Circe who is constantly called a witch despite having zero magical abilities and doesn't display any particular talents. His Arkham Verse DLC just revolved around getting beat up by Tim Drake. He sucks, and the rouges gallery could lose him and not be the worse for wear. The Penguin achieved iconic status fairly early on, so he is beyond needing recent stand out stories or runs to matter, because he always will. And he's had plenty solid to great stories in the comics, far more than Black Mask.

    As for Deathstroke, this bizarre fixation DC has with shoehorning him into the Bat-Verse is beyond obnoxious. The Rogues Gallery doesn't need him at all. Batman has plenty of great villains, he doesn't need to steal the best known villain from the Teen Titans. Slade couldn't even manage to kill the kids, and only got as far as he did due to Terra. He was challenged in direct fights by Starfire and friggin Beast Boy. The group outsmarted him when he tried to drop a nuke directly onto them. And this was all while they were still green and only recently came together as a team. Stop trying to sell him as this uber badass who is capable of taking on the entire Justice League and warrants an appearance in a Batman movie over actual Batman villains.
    So if "nobody" gives a shit about Black Mask then why is Black Mask still around? If what you said was true then Black Mask would've faded into obscurity a long time ago but he hasn't and he's still being featured in some capacity. So obviously the Black Mask is able to generate some interest there. I also find it funny that you're pointing out the absurdity of Black Mask's origin while conveniently disregarding the absurdity of the Penguin's origin. As if seeing a kid making friends with birds while being hounded by his mom to walk around with an umbrella at all times is not ridiculous. Has the writing for Black Mask been inconsistent? Sure. But let's not pretend Oswald has been exempt from it. One minute, the Penguin is on the verge of taking over the Gotham City underworld and then the next minute he's being punked out by Batman or someone else for information. By now everyone knows what to expect from the Penguin because he is played out, that's what happens when you go to the well too many times.

    As far as Deathstroke is concerned, nobody said the Batman rogues gallery needed him. It was never about that, it was about seeing Batman take on a villain that he's not often accustomed to facing and that is one who could legitimately physically beat him. Let's be honest, 2/3 of the Batman rogues are not known for that. Also it's not like the idea of Batman vs Deathstroke is a foreign concept, the two of them actually does have history among one another. Most importantly, it's something new. But no let's just continue playing it safe with a superhero who as I said before can afford to do something different as oppose to the same old same old with the same old same old.

  4. #94
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    No idea why we're discussing Cerce in length. She was a mistreated and abused victim. That's why she was called a witch, you claimed that she did not display magical power when she never needed to. She still beats Penguin's faceless henchwomen.
    I know she didn't need to explain magical powers, nor did I expect her to. I just found the melodramatic purple prose surrounding her that's present in a lot of Moench's writing to be stupid as hell.

    Most Batman villains have faceless henchmen. Joker stands out due to Harley, that's it. Circe stands out for Black Mask because everything else about his is so unremarkable that Moench's weird fixation on her is at least somewhat interesting, and Roman has become more bland ever since she faded from existence.


    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Why do you keep going on and on about Judas Contract in your entire post? He's flattened Dick half a dozen times since then. Have you read Titans East?
    Because those are the stories that introduced Slade and laid the foundation for who he is. And it's an extension of DC mistreating Dick and his entire generation that the villain that was introduced to challenge them when they were teenagers and whom they still put up good fights against still manages to outclass them when they should be more experienced. It makes them look like chumps, especially when Gar can stand up to Slade in a fight by himself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    One solid hit from Donna should finish herself off,
    Lol, what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    do you even read current Deathstroke bro?
    I fell behind after getting the first two trades, I assume he has some superpowers or something now? How long do we really expect that to last and is he even on the level of the Wonders?

    American Alien pretty much summed up what a fight between a normally powered Slade and a Superman class hero would look like: one flick of Clark's finger, and he went flying. The Titans have a near Wonder Woman level powerhouse on their team.

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Deathstroke is part of the cinematic universe confirmed. He's getting a solo movie confirmed. There's a reason CW verse cant use him.
    DC has a lot of movies on their slate. Did you notice that they seem to change it every other week? How about those Cyborg, Nightwing and Batgirl movies?

    Lol, with the state the DCEU is in now, Slade has nowhere confirmed to go until it actually starts production. They could drop him at a whim, or change actors if they wait to long and nobody will care.


    Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    So if "nobody" gives a shit about Black Mask then why is Black Mask still around? If what you said was true then Black Mask would've faded into obscurity a long time ago but he hasn't and he's still being featured in some capacity. So obviously the Black Mask is able to generate some interest there. I also find it funny that you're pointing out the absurdity of Black Mask's origin while conveniently disregarding the absurdity of the Penguin's origin. As if seeing a kid making friends with birds while being hounded by his mom to walk around with an umbrella at all times is not ridiculous. Has the writing for Black Mask been inconsistent? Sure. But let's not pretend Oswald has been exempt from it. One minute, the Penguin is on the verge of taking over the Gotham City underworld and then the next minute he's being punked out by Batman or someone else for information. By now everyone knows what to expect from the Penguin because he is played out, that's what happens when you go to the well too many times.
    Black Mask is still around because he's connected to Batman, even the shittiest villains in the rogues gallery endure. He's used as a generic mobster plot device whenever they need to trot one out. And again, Black Mask's origin is just as absurd as Penguin's, but he was created in an era where such silliness wasn't intentional the way the Penguin's is, and as inconsistent as it can be, the Penguin more consistently has FAR more of a personality than Black Mask ever has. A silly origin from the 40s is easier to forgive than a dumb one from the 80s that was trying super hard to be dark and serious, and ended up involving dropped babies and racoon bites.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    As far as Deathstroke is concerned, nobody said the Batman rogues gallery needed him. It was never about that, it was about seeing Batman take on a villain that he's not often accustomed to facing and that is one who could legitimately physically beat him. Let's be honest, 2/3 of the Batman rogues are not known for that. Also it's not like the idea of Batman vs Deathstroke is a foreign concept, the two of them actually does have history among one another. Most importantly, it's something new. But no let's just continue playing it safe with a superhero who as I said before can afford to do something different as oppose to the same old same old with the same old same old.
    Batman has plenty of underutilized villains in his own rogues gallery once we get past the big names that could offer something different if adapted. Just because some of us don't want Slade doesn't mean we want Joker or Penguin. You want a physical superpowered threat? Use Clayface or Hugo's Monster Men, or do an international thing with Dr. Hurt and the Club of Villains. We don't need to give the Titans' number 1 villain to Batman when he already dominates the DCU and has more than enough of his own damn villains.

    And even the big names like Joker and Penguin can be interpreted many different ways, so seeing the Penguin again wouldn't be the same old same old because we wouldn't be getting Burton's.

  5. #95
    Amazing Member Nero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Black Mask is still around because he's connected to Batman, even the shittiest villains in the rogues gallery endure. He's used as a generic mobster plot device whenever they need to trot one out. And again, Black Mask's origin is just as absurd as Penguin's, but he was created in an era where such silliness wasn't intentional the way the Penguin's is, and as inconsistent as it can be, the Penguin more consistently has FAR more of a personality than Black Mask ever has. A silly origin from the 40s is easier to forgive than a dumb one from the 80s that was trying super hard to be dark and serious, and ended up involving dropped babies and racoon bites.

    Batman has plenty of underutilized villains in his own rogues gallery once we get past the big names that could offer something different if adapted. Just because some of us don't want Slade doesn't mean we want Joker or Penguin. You want a physical superpowered threat? Use Clayface or Hugo's Monster Men, or do an international thing with Dr. Hurt and the Club of Villains. We don't need to give the Titans' number 1 villain to Batman when he already dominates the DCU and has more than enough of his own damn villains.

    And even the big names like Joker and Penguin can be interpreted many different ways, so seeing the Penguin again wouldn't be the same old same old because we wouldn't be getting Burton's.
    Being connected to Batman is not enough for a villain to sustain relevancy. Where is Sterling Silversmith? Where is the Eraser? Where is the Penny Plunderer? Hell, where is Egghead? He was on the same show that helped elevate Batman and various other characters into iconic status but despite being associated with all of that, it still wasn't enough for him to latch on outside of that thus proving what you claimed to be incorrect. If anything, it's very hard for a villain connected to Batman to maintain relevancy considering how deep and vast the rogues gallery generally is. Black Mask would not have been given as much as exposure as he has (being featured in a Batman cartoon, Batman video games, being made an action figure, reoccurring in the Batman comics, etc) if he didn't generate any interest because there's more than enough Batman villains to make up the difference. Furthermore, a silly origin is a silly origin and both the Penguin and Black Mask have that in common regardless of their respective eras. What's silly is holding Black Mask in contempt for his silly origin while the Penguin is given a plethora of excuses for his.

    Just because some of us want Slade doesn't mean we want just anyone who poses as a physical threat to Batman. Using Clayface or one of Hugo's Monster Men is not the same. For whatever reason you want to use Slade being a Teen Titans villain and him not being an exclusive Batman villain against him despite completely overlooking the history Batman has with Slade. You know what "we" don't need? To see the same kind of Batman villains be used over and over and over again. I don't care how many different ways you interpret the Joker and the Penguin, it's still the Joker and the Penguin. There's no way in hell you could ever convince me that the idea of Batman facing Penguin again would generate more interest than Batman facing off against Deathstroke for the first time on the big screen.

  6. #96
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    Being connected to Batman is not enough for a villain to sustain relevancy. Where is Sterling Silversmith? Where is the Eraser? Where is the Penny Plunderer? Hell, where is Egghead? He was on the same show that helped elevate Batman and various other characters into iconic status but despite being associated with all of that, it still wasn't enough for him to latch on outside of that thus proving what you claimed to be incorrect. If anything, it's very hard for a villain connected to Batman to maintain relevancy considering how deep and vast the rogues gallery generally is. Black Mask would not have been given as much as exposure as he has (being featured in a Batman cartoon, Batman video games, being made an action figure, reoccurring in the Batman comics, etc) if he didn't generate any interest because there's more than enough Batman villains to make up the difference. Furthermore, a silly origin is a silly origin and both the Penguin and Black Mask have that in common regardless of their respective eras. What's silly is holding Black Mask in contempt for his silly origin while the Penguin is given a plethora of excuses for his.
    Fair enough in comparing Black Mask to the likes of Penny Plunderer. But why pass over the Penguin to use Black Mask when you can just use a character that people already know and interpret them differently? If you want a gangster/Kingpin like criminal, use Oswald or Two-Face. They actually have personalities and a larger history of being used. Or for underutilized gangster villains, use Rupert Throne or Great White Shark.

    Besides being a generic psycho, what character does Roman have? What personality traits does he have that make people find him compelling as a villain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    For whatever reason you want to use Slade being a Teen Titans villain and him not being an exclusive Batman villain against him despite completely overlooking the history Batman has with Slade.
    Slade has more history with the Titans than with Batman. Aside from pumping Cass full of evil juice and beating Batman up in his solo, what long detailed history do they have together? And the Titans franchise gets treated like shit enough as it is, does giving their most prolific villain away really benefit them? It's one more insult. Use Slade in a franchise movie that needs him more, like Titans or Nightwing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    You know what "we" don't need? To see the same kind of Batman villains be used over and over and over again. I don't care how many different ways you interpret the Joker and the Penguin, it's still the Joker and the Penguin.
    So don't used the Joker or the Penguin. I've proposed some other villains. And yeah Slade poses a mental as well as a physical threat, but so do the Al Ghuls and Bane.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    YThere's no way in hell you could ever convince me that the idea of Batman facing Penguin again would generate more interest than Batman facing off against Deathstroke for the first time on the big screen.
    Batman generates interest by himself. The only villains that could increase that hype are Joker and Harley. The Penguin being the Big Bad in a film doesn't mean there won't be action in it, and the action would be used to sell the movie, not the Penguin by himself. Hell, he could be the one who hires Slade. As for facing off against Batman for the first time on screen, it wouldn't diminish hype but the casuals are more likely to ask "Who is Deathstroke?" and when you say it's Slade from the Teen Titans, they'll say "ok cool, but are the Teen Titans in this movie?"

  7. #97
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Hopefully they go for the classic take on the character. His portly, yet funny looking appearance causes people to underestimate him.

    Also, to repeat myself from Oswald's very own appreciation thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Oswald Cobblepot is actually my favorite Batman villain hell maybe even comics in general. It's a shame how often he gets overlooked for a lot of the Arkham loonies.

    I think Penguin is often underrated and under looked. The main problem is people don't see him as a threat. Another problem people have is they don't think he's interesting. I personally prefer his more classic interpretation as the "Gentleman of Crime" over Batman Returns approach or the brutish thug in the Arkham games. Id even say where Joker mirrors Batman, Oswald mirrors Bruce Wayne.

    Heck I find it interesting how he's been seen to run for public office in multiple incarnations. He could totally be the main baddie in a Batman movie, he's simply more of a cerebral threat, an eccentric criminal who is affable enough to rise up to a rank where he has the ability to turn Gotham back into the corrupted city it was before Batman's influence, undoing all the progress that Batman has done. He's a villain Batman can't just punch out. I think it was Penguin Triumphant where Batman said Penguin was even smarter than the Dark Knight himself...

  8. #98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    They also have gone on to do bigger and better things since then in all media. What has Penguin done? What exactly is the case for Penguin beyond empty claims of him being a brilliant and fascinating character when every other time he shows up in a comic he gets flattened. Hugo in particular has had nowhere near the exposure. Catwoman is just getting a major story in King's run. Which major writer even bothered to give Penguin a big story in decades ? Zero from what I can see.

    Moreover Penguin wont get people flocking either so might as well use a fresh face.
    Batman Returns? A major main villain in BTAS? A prominent role in Arkham City? A prominent figure in major Batman stories like No Manís Land?

  9. #99
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yeah, this is just getting wall of texty and circular arguments. You have the one way you want it to be, and I disagree with that. And neither one of our viewpoints have any matter or weight on what winds up on the big screen, they will make whoever the villain they want to be the villain of the movie, Deathstroke or Penguin or Frank Miller Dark Knight Strikes Again style Joker Dick Grayson.
    I never said that our viewpoints would have an impact on what WB does. I've always just maintained that this is what I would prefer for them to do and the reasons I think they should do things my way. If they do, then great, but if they don't, well, what can I do?
    Favorite Mythologies: Green Lantern, Batman (pre-Flashpoint), Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, the Justice League/JLA (pre-Flashpoint)

    DC Pulls - Action Comics; Bug! Adventures of Forager; Deathstroke; Doom Patrol; Hal Jordan & the GLC; Mister Miracle; Superman

    Marvel Pulls - Captain America; The Mighty Thor

    Non-Big Two Pulls - Saga; Archie

  10. #100
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Because I find him a better choice and by your logic Penguin is a loser version of Kingpin.
    When people look at Penguin they donít think Kingpin. People will notice the visual similarities between Blackmask and Red Skull and find the former to be lesser. Penguin can be written in a variety of ways that donít make him seem like a lesser Kingpin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    You're kidding with that one right. Watch any crime drama, there will be atleast one fat person who'll just happen to be corrupt or a criminal or both. His body is plenty overexposed to reinforce the crooked fat guy stereotype. Its almost tradition for the lowly pathetic criminal to be fat.
    Are you kidding? Because Iím pretty sure I mentioned superhero media not crime drama.

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Penguin is lacking 100%. Even in Pain and Prejudice Batman treated as a lightweight. He's not a threat whatsoever.
    I read that story. He didnít.

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Literally every criminal is better than Penguin. Black Mask has taken over the underworld, the Great White Shark has ruled it, as has Selina, Bane has done so twice. Penguin has NEVER accomplished anything like that. He just plays secretary to the top dog.
    Penguin has also spent less time in prison than most rogues and knows how to keep his hands relatively clean. Why does Blackmask get credit for taking over the underworld and losing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Monster Men and Prey are top ranked.
    Pain and Prejudice has a 9.0 rating on IGN. Your point?



    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Penguin has appeared as a jobber in dozens of comics.
    As is virtually any villain not named Joker.


    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Stop pretending as if he was an important part of The Long Halloween because he was not. What a ridiculous strawman argument.
    Iím using a strawman argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Least interesting to you maybe, still doesn't change the fact that he was the main villain of a Batman product something which Penguin hasn't been in decades.
    Being the main villain in a mediocre Batman product that came and went with little fan fair is not what Iíd call a proud accomplishment. When you combine that with his mediocre use in Arkham Origins and Son of Batman, a pattern of him being in Batman adaptations doesnít look good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    I made it rather clear that Dearhstroke can be used as a gateway to Robin, Nightwing or both.
    You realize the audience is already familiar with Robin or to a lesser extent Nightwing, right? We donít need Deathstroke in a Batman movie as a gateway.


    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    So we get a new villain, new type of villain and an extended Bat family in one go.
    What is new about Deathstroke? The guyís been in several DC products and is yet another example of ďwhat if the hero was evilĒ thatís already a tired clichť.

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Did you even bother to watch TT season 1 or read Nightwing:Renegade?
    Did you? Because none of these were about Batman. They were about Dick and Sladeís relationship. What youíre asking is for them to shoehorn in Deathstroke to make it about Bruce. The irony is, youíre the type of person often complaining about Batman stuff being hi-jacked for other characters but I guess itís okay when Bruce cannibalizes other franchises for his movies.


    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    There is nothing original about the fat mobster who got bullied either. Its a lame tiresome cliche. Batman has never faced off against a dark twin. The conflict with Bane was presented as similar to David vs Goliath not two equals going toe to toe.
    Bane and Bruce were both trained by the League of Shadows and were depicted as wanting to lead a form of social change in Gotham just for different ends.

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Tolkein can also say whatever he wants what is fact is that Killmonger was widely acclaimed in Panther, Sinestro, Black Adam and Zoom are the biggest and most popular villains of their respective foes by a country mile,
    Black Adam and Sinestro are also the only good villains in their respective Rogues Gallery whereas Batman doesnít need ďevil twinĒ villains which are more often than not incredibly lazy villains design wise.



    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Venom is huge, he's the best selling Marvel villain if you go by his comic sales. Even outperforms fourth pillar Harley.
    Venom was the least liked part of his live action film debut and even now, nobody expects his film to do well. Venom isnít huge, heís deemed a relic from a bygone era.

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Moreover Deathstroke is visually, conceptually and pretty much in every manner nothing like Batman. This isn't some Killer Moth or Owlman like situation. He can function as an evil Batman, soldier of fortune, criminal mastermind etc.
    This is moving the goal posts. The basis of your entire argument for Deathstroke has been that he works as an evil twin.

    Doesn't change the fact that Nolan went with something new to launch his series.

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    They talked about how awful and unappealing he was. Even Penguin fans dont like that take.
    A vocal minority largely made of parents complained about him. He was critically praised and DeVitoís performance got a him a Saturn Award nomination. Youíll find Joker fans who hate the Heath Ledger version but itís far from consensus.

  11. #101
    BANNED Confuzzled's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Swingin' Above Ya
    Posts
    8,516

    Default

    This argument still going on?

  12. #102
    Spectacular Member Spencermalley935's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I like Hugo Strange just fine but he's nowhere near as iconic in Batman's mythology as the Penguin.

  13. #103
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,736

    Default

    the Penguin gives you a lot to work with. He's a Black Mirror Bruce Wayne, ugly where Bruce is pretty, rich as god and without a conscience. Oswald is a cornerstone of the cityscape and could be in every part of a trilogy (if we get one) without being the only villain. Plus I like the idea of Gotham's first families, the Waynes, Cobblepotts and Elliotts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •