Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Johnson & Perkins Take on "Supergirl" Following Bedard

As of November's "Supergirl" #36, writer Tony Bedard is off the series, with Mike Johnson returning alongside new co-writer Kate Perkins.

Full article here.

Yeah, he just gave a pretty extensive interview not too long ago where he mentioned all of these plans for Kara (her getting a love interest, a new less angry direction, etc). It seems like he had things planned out pretty long-term, so WTH happened. Was this his call or did DC kick him off the book at the last minute (like Gail Simone on Batgirl the first time)? Hopefully, we get some more clarification on this. Oh and I'll say this again, give her a new costume already, this one looks terrible.

Bedard's interviews make more sense now as, aside from talking about gimmicks and crossovers, he barely talked about the direction he was taking the book in or future stories. I wasn't that big a fan of Bedard's run, and given that Johnson was on the book while it was at its best makes me want to give it a shot again. Also I am sort of interested in seeing a female writer give their voice to Supergirl. Maybe if Perkins was on her own I'd be a little wary, but with Johnson there I feel more confident.

Though I sort of feel they missed an opportunity to capitalize on the new creative team by giving Supergirl a new look/costume. After the buzz Batgirl's new costume created you'd think they would have tried to do something to shake up her look some as well.

I'm willing to give the new team a chance, but I just started to get back into Supergirl when I heard good things about Bedard fixing the mess New 52 Kara had become.

I do want to know if this is working out to Bedard's benefit as well or if he got blind-sided by this move.

:crosses fingers: New editor new editor new editor...

I like the collar look (on her and supes) but everything from the waist down is pretty bad

I know a lot of people weren't crazy about Bedard going in, and even more people were against the Red Lantern thing, but I guess by now it's really obvious that there's a serious problem with editorial. I like that Johnson is back but I can't be too optimistic.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 08-18-2014 at 06:49 PM.

BANNED

Oh sweet DC finally realized that Supergirl projectile-vomiting blood wasn't exactly attracting their target demographic.

(Totally wasn't reading this book; that was just my impression by the covers. Was she really doing that?)

I'm not that excited for the plot that the solicit is teasing. Seriously, how many of these "hero infiltrates/gets involved with mysterious organization who may have sinister motives" are we going to get? It sounds kind of generic. And personally, I was looking forward to Kara FINALLY getting a somewhat stable direction and love interest. This just comes out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Oh sweet DC finally realized that Supergirl projectile-vomiting blood wasn't exactly attracting their target demographic.

(Totally wasn't reading this book; that was just my impression by the covers. Was she really doing that?)
    No, she never did that (at least not that I recall). It's an established fact that comic book covers frequently don't reflect what's actually in the issue itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

I haven't read those issues yet, either, but that storyline with her being a Red Lantern was already finished.

BANNED

Okay thank you fellas!

Kara's such a great character... Best of luck to the new creative team. Hopefully they make some magic!

Greed is Good

Good lord can they just figure out what the hell they want to do already.
    Greed in Good

Thaws too bad. I actually just read Bedard's interview and was looking to maybe jump on. What else has he got on his plate? I liked New Guardians and some if his pre-reboot stuff, not to mention the Brainiac one-shot was my favorite issue of villains month, so I hope he still has work lined up.
    Last edited by MykeHavoc; 08-18-2014 at 08:18 PM.