Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Confirms "Shazam" Role

FINALLY! The Rock has arrived in the DCU! Dwayne Johnson has confirmed that he will star in Warner Bros.' "Shazam," but not whether it will be as hero or villain.

Full article here.

So.....then he didn't confirm his "Shazam" role just that he has a role in it.
    The LGBTQIA community. CBR's hangout, discussion thread and safespace.
    Make it blue
    "Define 'normal' and make a good case for it", Bruce Wayne. GOTHAM

Original Join Date: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,576 and coutning

Guess he'll have to grow his hair out again since neither Billy Batson or Black Adam are bald. That is unless WB wants to alter their look. Let's hope not. I hope he's Black Adam. I think he fits that role better than Captain Marvel (yes, I'm still calling him by his original name )

It's a pun

I think he'd make a great Black Adam. I wouldn't mind a bald Black Adam that much.
    There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.

I don't mind either way, but if he was to play Captain Marvel we'd get more than a single movie from him.
    Favourites: Fables, Batman, Grayson, Hawkguy, Hawkguy vs Deadpool, Ms Marvel, Multiversity

Using passive aggression to get Batgirl cancelled.

If he has to decide who to play it'll probably be black Adam.

He looks more like Black Adam, but his personality suits Billy better. I believe he could sell me on the idea that he's an innocent boy transformed into this beast of a man. I'm not nearly as convinced of his ability to play an evil ancient Egyptian.

Y'know, they could just have him play both. It would make a sort of sense if the Rock is simply the form anyone takes if transformed by shazam magic.

I haven't been genuinely excited by a single casting decision DC's made with their cinematic universe, and often have had the opposite reaction. This is the first time. The Rock has the charisma and the body type to play a superhero. Hell, he spent 10+ years dressing up in colorful outfits beating guys up and played both a hero and a villain while doing it. There may be no better person suited to a role like this in the world. Can't wait.
    Formerly finfangfool

I could see Johnson doing well at either role. Hopefully his presence in the film gives it an additional push with general audiences. I'd love to see DC succeed in getting some of their non Superman/Batman franchises off the ground.

Let him play both and just say the transformation makes them appear like Shazam (wizard) did in his youth. Which would mean that he can play three roles if they age him up with CGI.

He also confirmed Aquaman and Wonder Woman movies were coming after BvS in the same interview.

Personally I would love to see him play Black Adam but I think WB may want him as Shazam for the simple fact that they could use him across multiple movies in the DCU, that's not to say Black Adam couldn't do a Loki and be in Justice League etc. But setting up a long term successful franchise like Shazam, it would make sense to have Rock as the lead. His presence alone in the Justice League movie would definitely generate some serious hype.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    He looks more like Black Adam, but his personality suits Billy better. I believe he could sell me on the idea that he's an innocent boy transformed into this beast of a man. I'm not nearly as convinced of his ability to play an evil ancient Egyptian.
    Johnson has the charisma and force of personality to pull off Black Adam, but yeah, I'd much rather see him as Captain Marvel/Shazam. The guy has an underappreciated flair for comedy that I think he could put to good use in that role.
    User formerly known as Gary Cody.

I could gey behind the idea of him playing both roles if they look different enough. But not just marvel. I could see a few people playing captain marvel either Patrick Warburton, John Hamm, Nathan Fillion or Jason Sudekus.
    "Drewbacca?"

I'm sorry I was expecting shadayim

Quote Originally Posted by napolid View Post
    I don't mind either way, but if he was to play Captain Marvel we'd get more than a single movie from him.
    I get what you mean. You're bound to - positive response to performance, good financial gain for his film, or first appearance (here's looking at you, DOJ) - see Captain Marvel again, in Justice League, or Captain Marvel sequels.

But, villains have reprisals too, i.e. Magneto and Mystique, Harry and Rhino etc, so same could happen with Black Adam.

Just reading the description for him, hope it's BA, so that gets adapted and can experience them, but ol' Billy boy and his counterpart, or as another poster suggests, both, could be good too.

Maybe he's playing a very buff Sivana.