Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default CNN's Anderson Cooper to Appear in Edmondson & Noto's "Black Widow" #12

CNN's Anderson Cooper will make his Marvel Universe debut in Nathan Edmondson and Phil Noto's "Black Widow" #12 as he investigates Natasha Romanov.

Full article here.

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

Why couldn't Marvel announce this crap before full solicits hit yesterday?

Does the timing really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post
    Why couldn't Marvel announce this crap before full solicits hit yesterday?
    It's not that they couldn't have. But clearly, it would get more attention if they did it separately, which is what they wanted.

It's just marketing, is all.

Buy Wayward! It's great! Energist's Avatar

Pretty cool, I guess. One of the few personalities on CNN that I genuinely like, anyway.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

I hope he's as dreamy in the comic as he is in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Energist View Post
    Pretty cool, I guess. One of the few personalities on CNN that I genuinely like, anyway.
    why? never seemed interesting for me.

Buy Wayward! It's great! Energist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    why? never seemed interesting for me.
    I think he does a pretty good job as a journalist, mainly. But he's also always struck me as a really cool guy. He's a pretty big nerd, too, I think.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

Just to bring in new readers? No disrespect to Anderson, but why do this outside of trying to bolster sales. What does that add to Natasha that Edmonson hasn't already touched upon?
    Former Marvel girl...

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    Just to bring in new readers? No disrespect to Anderson, but why do this outside of trying to bolster sales. What does that add to Natasha that Edmonson hasn't already touched upon?
    To be fair, your question is basically answered in the article.

What Natasha has done in her life is brought forth to the public. I think that creates a pretty interesting arc.

Well, I was certainly not expecting that... Not interested in celebrities or media personalities showing up in comic books, but it sounds like a cool story for Natasha. Also, a lot like the ending of a certain movie, but whatever.

As long as Edmonson and Noto are on board, so am I.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    Whether its Anderson Cooper or some fictional journalist... I think it's a pretty realistic story to tell. She's a public figure. She's an Avenger. Nowadays, our public figures are subject to such an intense amount of media scrutiny in a way they weren't even 10-15 years ago... and it can utterly destroy someone. This is the sort of thing that absolutely WOULD happen to her.

Glad there is a Black Widow#12

Senior Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Well, this seems less shoehorned or wanky than Barack Obama or David Letterman (or, god forbid, the Spider-Man/Jay Leno story.) Or the horrendous story where Wolverine hangs out with some chef.

This doesn't seem gimmicky. It just grounds it in our world a little more than using a fictional analogue of Anderson Cooper. Phil Noto's artwork does have an aura of realism, really. Of course, the network he'll be hosting will probably be BNN or something like that.

I actually love this idea, as a current Black Widow buyer and someone who admires Anderson Cooper's work on the news.

Natasha being publicly outed as a Russian assassin and having her Avengers status scrutinized by the media are things that I've hoped future movies would address post-Winter Soldier. It's a logical continuation from what Natasha did in that movie, and it opens up lots of storytelling possibilities by creating an even bigger rift between Natasha, her more traditionally heroic teammates, and the regular public. Just one more reason why a Black Widow movie makes too much sense not to do (I wish Marvel Studios would realize this, even though they probably won't).

Really admire Edmonson's ability to write a 616 comic that stands on his own but syncs up so well with the MCU. The current Black Widow title is a great example of accessibility.

If it has a flaw, it's that Edmonson has been writing everything on a slow burn. Lots of standalones, and very subtle and gradual development. I've been liking it a lot, but I'd like it even more if it moved forward with more momentum.

This thing with Anderson Cooper sounds like a launching point for a much bigger story. Most exciting news I've heard about this series so far!