Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: The Fade Out, #1

Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips's "The Fade Out" #1 is the perfect first issue, slowly doling out information about a 1948 boozy party in Hollywood that ended in the perfect murder.

Full review here.

Great issue.Wouldn't expect anything less from this creative team.
    But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream - Amos 5:24

That $5.99 Magazine format version is the bees knees.
    “Humans see what they want to see.”
    My webcomic Updated Weekly
    Twitter
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    That $5.99 Magazine format version is the bees knees.
    Don't Went to my LCS today and foolishly thought they would have some left (didn't even pre-order). Killing myself I didn't go there in the morning rather than afternoon.
    Southern Bastards, Velvet, East of West, Sex Criminals, Saga, Outcast, The Walking Dead, Trees, Low, Bodies, Lazarus, The Fade Out, In the House of the Worm, Hawkeye, Fables.

Quote Originally Posted by ysemaj View Post
    Don't Went to my LCS today and foolishly thought they would have some left (didn't even pre-order). Killing myself I didn't go there in the morning rather than afternoon.
    I hope its continued and not a one time deal. Its a variant I wouldn't mind paying extra to get.

Sales will dictate, i guess.
    Twitter
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    I hope its continued and not a one time deal. Its a variant I wouldn't mind paying extra to get.

Sales will dictate, i guess.
    I think it's a one time thing. I don't see the variants on my previews catalogue. You're right that it's awesome, just gorgeous. My LCS didn't even have any more variants on the racks, apparently a lot of people had it in their pull. So happy I got mine, I also picked up the regular edition as well.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Sheltered, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Jonah Hex, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Invincible, Walking Dead, Starlight, Winterworld, Manifest Destiny, Clockwork Angels, SIP Kids, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Tuki, Big Trouble in Little China, Flash Gordon, The Fade Out, Fearless Dawn, Skullkickers, Nailbiter, Southern Bastards, Copperhead, Stray Bullets/Killers

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    I think it's a one time thing. I don't see the variants on my previews catalogue. You're right that it's awesome, just gorgeous. My LCS didn't even have any more variants on the racks, apparently a lot of people had it in their pull. So happy I got mine, I also picked up the regular edition as well.
    Yea, I feel it is a one time deal. Unless they do it at the beginning of each arc which would be pretty cool seen as I wasn't able to pick the first variant up. Might have to have a look on ebay and hope some of the online sellers have some in stock. Is there any cool stuff inside that isn't in the regular as well?

EDIT: Looks like Forbidden Planet UK has some of the variants still in stock, very happy
    Southern Bastards, Velvet, East of West, Sex Criminals, Saga, Outcast, The Walking Dead, Trees, Low, Bodies, Lazarus, The Fade Out, In the House of the Worm, Hawkeye, Fables.

My LCS let me have a copy of the Magazine (only ordered the regular).
    Bru said at the back of Fatale that this is a one time thing and they won't reprint it or include the extras in the collections.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    My LCS let me have a copy of the Magazine (only ordered the regular).
    Bru said at the back of Fatale that this is a one time thing and they won't reprint it or include the extras in the collections.
    Fair enough yea. I bet eBayers are filled with joy that they will be able to extort people who missed out on the variant because it is in such high demand haha. I love the regular one though as well. The second printing cover looks cool with the colours interchanged. It's only a guess about the cover though, was just attached to the Image article about the issue being sent for a second printing.

BvkUdA0IEAA9K0F.jpg

I really wanted the mag variant and could've gotten it, but it wouldn't fit in my long box, so I didn't. It was nice looking, though.

So, it's a pretty big deal when you make a perfect finale for one series and then come back the next week and make a perfect first issue. Kudos to Bru and Phillips for that.

Loved everything about this book. The time period, the art, the dialogue were all top notch. One thing I found funny. It wasn't intentional (or maybe it was), but I couldn't put it past me that the plot reminds me of the "Chowda" (say it, Frenchie) episode of The Simpsons. Any time something reminds me of The Simpsons, it's automatically good. It's science.
    Message board hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

"CBR....complain, b!#^h, and rant" ~ Greg Capullo

The first issue was really, really good.

Is this an ongoing or a miniseries?

Quote Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
    The first issue was really, really good.

Is this an ongoing or a miniseries?
    I believe it is ongoing which is great

Grabbed the magazine variant yesterday. For all the extras in the back, it was totally worth the extra couple bucks. I was thinking of grabbing the regular issue as well, but I think I'll wait for the second printing. I love the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by KatSparxx View Post
    Grabbed the magazine variant yesterday. For all the extras in the back, it was totally worth the extra couple bucks. I was thinking of grabbing the regular issue as well, but I think I'll wait for the second printing. I love the colors.
    If my weekly budget allows it, I think I'm also gonna get the second printing as well even though I have the first because of the cover, looks great

Reread the story. And I was twice as impressed. Writing Noir is tricky stuff. Strike that--writing great Noir is tricky. Brubaker seems to do it effortlessly.
    I even enjoyed the bit about explaining why the language and themes are not PC. He didnt have to do that, anyone that understands Noir expects it to be thematically true to its era.

All i will add is--the last time I was drunk and woke up in the closet it was January 1rst 1999. And I thought the world had ended.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 08-22-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    Twitter
    Blog