Super Moderator

Default In Your Face Jam - Aug 20, 2014

Even though he played no part in the book's creation, Brett White feels a curious swelling of pride for the soon-to-conclude comedy comic.

Full article here.

Finally, somebody who understands! Great article

Senior Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

I really wanted to like this series, I really did, and I wanted to support what I considered a low-selling title. (I am someone who gravitates towards the lower selling titles; they're more unique and original than mainstream titles and I feel a kind of responsibility not to trade wait and to support the series as it's going on.) Maybe it's because I am less of a comedy person, but I ended up giving out after 8 issues. I held on for as long as I could but in the end I realised I wasn't really following the characters, was not invested or really enjoying the series. Suddenly a puppy appears and it's like "eh..." And I thought as a fan of Hawkeye, I'd love this series. But something about it just didn't sit right with me. Maybe with it ending I'll go ahead and check out the ten issues I've missed, but I guess if you're going into this keep an open mind. Might be better as a binge read than month-to-month.

I've read Spencer's Secret Avengers (vol. 2, right?) and that was pretty fun.

Well, let's address the 60,000 pound elephant, Foes was a Hawkeye cash in. It aped the whole vibe, whole style, just made it safer. When it was announced that it was going up to $3.99, and having another team on at least one issue, I dropped off.

I'm glad Foes took its cue from Hawkeye. Street-level shenanigans filled to the brim with humor. Hell to the yeah.

...sixteen, seventeen... Fifteen's Avatar

You're lying to yourself if you say Superior didn't at least have a similar vibe to Hawkeye. I mean, when they introduced that dog in the first issue, i said to myself, "and there's pizza dog." But that's where the similarities end. Hawkeye does not own a monopoly on being funny, and the storylines and central premise were completely different.

It's a shame to see this book go but at least my wallet will get a bit heaftier in time for the holidays.

Puppies sell, man.

who gives a shit if it has the same vibe as hawkeye? seriously? the book is amazing. hell, i love hawkeye, and knowing there's a book out there with the same thing going on? perfect. if you bitch about hawkeye and foes having the same theme or vibe, LMAO, stop reading comics. because all the rest of them are basically the same. avengers, x-men, justice league...they're all super heroes fighting shit! at least these two titles are interesting and outside the norm. i hold both books in the same esteem, and i'm sad to see foes go. what a great book.

Quote Originally Posted by bhj View Post
    who gives a shit if it has the same vibe as hawkeye? seriously? the book is amazing. hell, i love hawkeye, and knowing there's a book out there with the same thing going on? perfect. if you bitch about hawkeye and foes having the same theme or vibe, LMAO, stop reading comics. because all the rest of them are basically the same. avengers, x-men, justice league...they're all super heroes fighting shit! at least these two titles are interesting and outside the norm. i hold both books in the same esteem, and i'm sad to see foes go. what a great book.
    My sentiments exactly. Hawkeye and Superior Foes kind of remind me of the old days when Marvel actually had genres outside of standard super-hero books.

I'm sad to see this title end. I really wish that more people had given it a shot instead of buying 17 Avengers titles and 14 X-Men titles.
    Dan Ketch > Johnny Blaze

I think 15-30 issues is the right amount for books like this (Superior Foes, Hawkeye, Young Avengers). Just one story told from start to finish, but in serial form and with a consistent creative team (there's been some guest artist for sure but not rotating artists from arc to arc). Not that the franchising books last a lot longer these days, maybe 50 issues with lot of double shipping and continous promotions (see Avengers) so 18 issues in the end it's certainly not a failure. Hope we will see other similar toned books in the near future.