Page 79 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2969757677787980 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1194

A bit off topic but I think Matt Czuchry would make any awesome Adult Bobby in film.

I think we can expect at least 10 issues. There is a chance that all the current X-books will last until whatever big shake up Astonishing is supposedly leading up to, which would put it around 14-15 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    A bit off topic but I think Matt Czuchry would make any awesome Adult Bobby in film.
    I like the actor, but I would want someone with a stronger comedic background. I used to like Sam Huntington for Bobby, but he's getting a bit too old for the role. Thomas Mann would do nicely, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I think we can expect at least 10 issues. There is a chance that all the current X-books will last until whatever big shake up Astonishing is supposedly leading up to, which would put it around 14-15 issues.
    I'd be okay with that. Let Bobby find closure and figure out who he is and who he wants to be, have Jean solve the Phoenix problem (hopefully bringing back the original Jean Grey) and Cable put an end to the time-travel shenanigans. Finish up Astonishing, and then from there launch Uncanny X-Men and a couple new titles.

This Week's Comics: Dragon Age: Knight Errant #4, Kill the Minotaur #3, Rat Queens #5

Looking forward to this showdown for sure!

Iceman #3 sold around 15k. That's without a doubt the lowest selling X-title out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post

Iceman #3 sold around 15k. That's without a doubt the lowest selling X-title out there.
    It is what it is now I guess. I was hoping the good reviews and word of mouth for number 3 would stabilize sales but whatever. I've honestly exhausted myself at this point, there's nothing left that I personally could do, between supporting it financially as well as encouraging others to try it out. Let's enjoy however many issues we can get out of it!

Yowza. What do you guys all think that means for the character and Marvel's strategy? I want this conversation to be super constructive and not turn into what usually happens with conversations about Iceman these days...

Is Bobby just not able to sustain his own comic? Was the status-quo shift in his sexual orientation not as meaningful as maybe Marvel was hoping? Not enough to sell an ongoing? Is he better off as a main character in an ensemble book?

I certainly don't see Bobby being benched whenever his solo does end.

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    It is what it is now I guess. I was hoping the good reviews and word of mouth for number 3 would stabilize sales but whatever. I've honestly exhausted myself at this point, there's nothing left that I personally could do, between supporting it financially as well as encouraging others to try it out. Let's enjoy however many issues we can get out of it!
    Agreed. Like I said the last time this topic came up, there's only so much we can do. So it's best for us to just enjoy it while it lasts.

Like I honestly don't understand this, like this is without a doubt a better X-Solo then anything out right now and I'm not being biased just because I absolutely don't like Jean nor Cable

Its such a shame its such a relatable and interesting story that I wish others could experience
    "That's how I survived. Time and time again. That's my secret. I survived because I willed it to be. ... How did I survive apocalyptic fire? I simply refused to feel the flames."

Once again, I'm reminded of how I'd give up my eyeteeth to be able to get a look at the digital numbers.

But anyway, I honestly don't think the gay thing factors into the DM sales numbers very much - or if it does, it's probably a positive. It got the book a decent amount of press outside of the usual channels, and the book itself is getting good word of mouth.

As a comparison, Storm has a much higher profile than Bobby, a more vocal fanbase, and her 2014 solo had a creative team that was better known than Bobby's. It was still at around 20K by issue 3 or 4. This isn't out of line for modern solos that don't star A-listers (Wolverine, Magneto, etc.). Doesn't mean it's good news, of course, but...

This Week's Comics: Dragon Age: Knight Errant #4, Kill the Minotaur #3, Rat Queens #5

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Yowza. What do you guys all think that means for the character and Marvel's strategy? I want this conversation to be super constructive and not turn into what usually happens with conversations about Iceman these days...

Is Bobby just not able to sustain his own comic? Was the status-quo shift in his sexual orientation not as meaningful as maybe Marvel was hoping? Not enough to sell an ongoing? Is he better off as a main character in an ensemble book?

I certainly don't see Bobby being benched whenever his solo does end.
    To be honest I think there are VERY few characters that can pull off a solo these days. I don't know how it used to be, but solos for characters that are part of teams seem to just crash and burn. Magneto was a rare case I feel.

As for Bobby himself, I think the sexual orientation topic probably added readers but also turned some away. You can see people use it as an example of the whole "Marvel-SJW pandering" claims going on. There are probably some people who may have bought it if Iceman being gay had never happened, but then the reverse is also true. Some people were drawn to it because of that same reason. So it's hard to say. I agree that he won't be going anywhere, he's been a staple for a long time and his powers are appealing enough to include him in books.

I agree that it is tough to sale team book characters as solo characters in todays market. But I don't think that is the only factor at play here. Cable, Wolverine(Laura), and Jean Grey are doing much better. And Jean's book has the controversy of being part of the teen O5 that some readers cant stand. And Gambit has had solo series canceled for reasons other than low sales. I still believe Psylocke would have a descent shot at doing well. Clearly this is just my opinion on Psylocke as I have no way of backing it up.

I said this in the July Sales chart thread and I will say it here as well. I believe Iceman is a character with a rather large cult following on line and may not be as popular outside the internet echo chamber. There are other characters such as Polaris( my second favorite character), Dazzler, and Rachel Grey who have fanatical fan base on this forum but that does not mean they would be able to carry a series.

I still contend that a better villain advertised for issue #1 than a generic Purifier may have helped start a series for a character who has never had a solo before. Daken or Juggernaut ( please forgive my spelling) may have built some more buzz for issue 1. If a Purifier was to be used Marvel would have been better off advertising the book as having a new leader of the Purifiers or such. It would have been a better opening draw. Just my opinion of course.

I don't post in this thread, I just enjoy browsing it.

I will now try to comment on the LGBT+ angle wich I usually don't like to do because I am a straight white guy and I am not the most articulate poster on this forum. I do believe that the LGBT+ component of Iceman does play a role in Iceman's direct market sales. My comic shop is cool and other readers don't care about what books you are reading and are not homophobic. However I have talked to other straight people I know who are afraid to buy Iceman at other shops who aren't as nice and are afraid of being ridiculed or being called gay, and they will usually just read a friend's copy. I am certainly not saying that this is OK but it happens. If straight people feel intimidated into not buying Iceman than it is not hard to conclude that LGBT+ shoppers will feel even more scared. This is why I feel it is important to know what the actual online sales are. I buy my trade paper backs at my comic shop, but I will make an effort to pay attention for TPB's at my local Barnes and Nobles. They are friendly people. I don't ask them how any type of book is doing in sales but I am sure they will tell me if I ask.

Again I am a straight white guy and I hope I did nit offend anyone.
    Last edited by JarOfFlies1; 08-14-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JarOfFlies1 View Post
    I agree that it is tough to sale team book characters as solo characters in todays market. But I don't think that is the only factor at play here. Cable, Wolverine(Laura), and Jean Grey are doing much better. And Jean's book has the controversy of being part of the teen O5 that some readers cant stand. And Gambit has had solo series canceled for reasons other than low sales. I still believe Psylocke would have a descent shot at doing well. Clearly this is just my opinion on Psylocke as I have no way of backing it up.

I said this in the July Sales chart thread and I will say it here as well. I believe Iceman is a character with a rather large cult following on line and may not be as popular outside the internet echo chamber. There are other characters such as Polaris( my second favorite character), Dazzler, and Rachel Grey who have fanatical fan base on this forum but that does not mean they would be able to carry a series.

I still contend that a better villain advertised for issue #1 than a generic Purifier may have helped start a series for a character who has never had a solo before. Daken or Juggernaut ( please forgive my spelling) may have built some more buzz for issue 1. If a Purifier was to be used Marvel would have been better off advertising the book as having a new leader of the Purifiers or such. It would have been a better opening draw. Just my opinion of course.

I will now try to comment on the LGBT+ angle wich I usually don't like to do because I am a straight white guy and I am not the most articulate poster on this forum. I do believe that the LGBT+ component of Iceman does play a role in Iceman's direct market sales. My comic shop is cool and other readers don't care about what books you are reading and are not homophobic. However I have talked to other straight people I know who are afraid to buy Iceman at other shops who aren't as nice and are afraid of being ridiculed or being called gay, and they will usually just read a friend's copy. I am certainly not saying that this is OK but it happens. If straight people feel intimidated into not buying Iceman than it is not hard to conclude that LGBT+ shoppers will feel even more scared. This is why I feel it is important to know what the actual online sales are. I buy my trade paper backs at my comic shop, but I will make an effort to pay attention for TPB's at my local Barnes and Nobles. They are friendly people. I don't ask them how any type of book is doing in sales but I am sure they will tell me if I ask.

Personally, I don't think you said anything that could be considered offensive so no worries there! I don't live in the US so I don't know what the vibes of comic stores are like, anytime I've been to one I just buy what I want to However I have seen other posters here say similar things, not about Iceman specifically but other titles yeah. It's very unfortunate that people feel like they can't buy a title without being judged for it. I understand the feeling though, when I was younger I noticed that LGBT section in Barnes and Noble and wanted to browse it but felt really paranoid about people watching me.

I really hope digital sales are good. Considering Iceman 3 beat Cable 3 on Comixology but in physical sales it did half of Cable's numbers, it would suggest that it proportionally has better digital sales than physical. Either that or Cable just has weaker than normal digital sales.

Quote Originally Posted by JarOfFlies1 View Post

Dazzler still has one of the most successful solo female series at Marvel and her debut issue will probably remain the highest selling female solo comic of all time. It's really Marvel's treatment of the character over the decades that led to the deterioration of her popularity. In the late 80's, Claremont began to siphon off her more appealing personality traits and presented them to his pet Rogue. In the 00's, Quesada was a noted hater of the character and refused to have her included in major books.

Other than that, I agree with you. LCS's have to be invested in attracting diverse readers and making it a welcoming and comfortable place for them for these books to succeed. LCS's with bigoted employees and/or owners will prove the bane of these books and force the market to rely on the steadily decreasing older fanbase. So unless LCS's want to lose to digital in a major way in the near future, they've got to up their game.