Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: The Multiversity, #1

"The Multiversity" #1 explodes with characters and concepts from the mind of Grant Morrison and is drawn into the pages by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado.

Full review here.

Anyone else waiting for the punchline that (despite the set up of Falshpoint actually changing the timeline to the New 52) that any a or all of post Crisis DC, Pre Crisis DC, or Pre and Post Earth 2 show up as worlds in the Multiverse? Maybe even only as one panel glimpses in the finally? It would certainly give them a nice out considering the over all reception of the New 52. ...or how quickly they seem to be burning through characters and continuity in the newer reality.

I'll admit to being hypercritical about the potential success of this story. Five years, after all, is an insanely long time to wait between stories -- just look at what's happened to the DC Universe in three years

Ok...I totally missed something. What's this 5 years thing?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrocket View Post
    Anyone else waiting for the punchline that (despite the set up of Falshpoint actually changing the timeline to the New 52) that any a or all of post Crisis DC, Pre Crisis DC, or Pre and Post Earth 2 show up as worlds in the Multiverse? Maybe even only as one panel glimpses in the finally? It would certainly give them a nice out considering the over all reception of the New 52. ...or how quickly they seem to be burning through characters and continuity in the newer reality.
    I think that there won't be any, and I certainly hope so. It would an extremely banal outcome for such an ambitious storyline.

This comic was beyond amazing. Stupendous! I cannot wait for issue #2!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRain666 View Post
    I'll admit to being hypercritical about the potential success of this story. Five years, after all, is an insanely long time to wait between stories -- just look at what's happened to the DC Universe in three years

Multiversity was originally teased as an idea 5-ish years ago.

Since the Multiverse has analogues of Marvel, 90's Image, Stan Lee's DC work, etc...I think it's pretty likely that at least 2 of the world's contain the Pre-Flashpoint DCU and the pre-COIE DCU. That would open up a world of possibilities and potentially allow a new book that is set on one or both of those world's for the folks who can't quite get over the New 52 being launched. As to the New 52: "It would certainly give them a nice out considering the over all reception of the New 52" - not sure what you mean by this, but DC's sales have gone up around 25% since the reboot (from around 23 million books/year at Pre-Flashpoint lows to around 29-30 million books/year now). I know that listening to all of the crying on message boards might not give the impression, but the New 52 has been a success (at least sales-wise) for DC and they aren't going back.

As for the book - based on the first issue alone, and there is plenty of time for this to unravel, but this is a true classic in the making. A Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns type classic that is remembered and influential for decades. It opens up so much storytelling potential for DC if they take advantage of it

Truly amazing first issue. It has been a long time since I read something this good. I am looking forward to the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Since the Multiverse has analogues of Marvel, 90's Image, Stan Lee's DC work, etc...I think it's pretty likely that at least 2 of the world's contain the Pre-Flashpoint DCU and the pre-COIE DCU.
    I doubt there's a Pre-Flashpoint DCU out there, though it's not impossible.

But it is pretty much impossible for there to be a pre-COIE DCU because you'd also need the pre-COIE Earths 2,3,S,X,etc.

Yeah, no. Never going to happen. They were wiped out of existence and replaced with what we have now, that was kind of the entire point of the events.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRain666 View Post

Multiversity has been in development for 5 years, pretty much since Final Crisis ended (to which this is obviously a sequel to)

I'm just lost about one thing does the group from earth 16 share the same universe as the young justice crew or do they have a different number universe now?

Man, I sure hope so!

Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    I'm just lost about one thing does the group from earth 16 share the same universe as the young justice crew or do they have a different number universe now?
    I hope so, but the explanation is Young Justice's Earth as being Earth-16 was a typo or accident. However, they never came out and corrected it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    Young Justice is cancelled and DC stated many times they have no plans for the franchise. So they are probably kicked out of canon forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Young Justice is cancelled and DC stated many times they have no plans for the franchise. So they are probably kicked out of canon forever.
    what NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOO (Darth Vader voice) Those monsters how could they so much potential gone to waste.

Eh honestly it distanced itself from DCU too much to exist in a canon multiverse.