Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" Is Dead-On Miller Noir, But Sometimes Muddies Its Black & Whi

The long-awaited second collaboration between Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller frequently hits the target, but occasionally stumbles in its own pitch-blackness.

Full article here.

They just better not wait another 10 years to do part 3.

I remember vividly being blown away by the first Sin City. That came out at a time where the bar for comic book movies wasn't nearly as high as it is now. If this movie is anywhere nearly as good as the first, then I don't mind waiting 10 years for it. I would still prefer to not have to wait that long for a third movie. But when it comes to great comic book movies, I more than willing to wait for quality awesome.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Its a good movie, don't feel it is as concrete as the first however, part of that has to do with it having continuity errors that clash with what was shown in the first ranging from understandable due maybe not getting a previous actor to just plain not fitting in with what occurred in the first film and throwing off any sort of relevant time line.

I think if it had come out at a few weeks later, it might have had a better opening weekend but more family friendly affairs like Guardians and TMNT is still out there and I know in my area most parents are getting ready to or coming down off sending their kids off to school. While it isn't as solid as the first one, it is worth watching for certain if you liked the first one.

I think the long wait definitely hurt this movie. Im sure this wouldn't have bombed even 5 years ago.

At the same time it wasn't nearly as good as the first. And the continuity is a bit confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    it wasn't nearly as good as the first. And the continuity is a bit confusing.
    agreed and agreed.

it wasn't a bad movie and i don't mind looking at naked Eva Green for hours but it just wasn't as good as the first one.

6.5 Million dollar opening weekend. Biggest bomb of the summer. The Frank Miller name effectively means nothing to mainstream audiences and perhaps even comic book readers.

The first movie was a moderate hit because of how unique it looked, but this one just does the same tricks and no one is interested anymore.

Aside from Shark Boy and Lava Girl, has Robert Rodriguez ever really had a hit movie? Is he still just riding the wave of being friends with Quentin Tarantino in the 90's?

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    6.5 Million dollar opening weekend. Biggest bomb of the summer. The Frank Miller name effectively means nothing to mainstream audiences and perhaps even comic book readers.

The first movie was a moderate hit because of how unique it looked, but this one just does the same tricks and no one is interested anymore.

Aside from Shark Boy and Lava Girl, has Robert Rodriguez ever really had a hit movie? Is he still just riding the wave of being friends with Quentin Tarantino in the 90's?
    And the sequel was almost a whole decade later.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    And the sequel was almost a whole decade later.
    One could argue that in mainstream audiences eyes, The Spirit was the de facto sequel to Sin City since it looked the same, had the same stiff action and camera placement, the same stilted story, and one of the same directors. Audiences rejected that movie too, it had a 6.4 million opening weekend.

One could argue that in mainstream audiences eyes, The Spirit was the de facto sequel to Sin City since it looked the same, had the same stiff action and camera placement, the same stilted story, and one of the same directors. Audiences rejected that movie too, it had a 6.4 million opening weekend.
    That i would disagree with the Spirit looked like amateur night compared to the first Sin City and even the second one. The story was really incoherent and the lead actor was just dull.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    agreed and agreed.

it wasn't a bad movie and i don't mind looking at naked Eva Green for hours but it just wasn't as good as the first one.
    You know the actors were really trying but the stories were just paced way too slow and didn't have the dark humor or fun as the first one.

It wasn't Sin City though. I get what you are saying, but Sin City 1 succeeded because it had great marketing, an all star cast, and was associated with a top comic creator at the onset of the comic film revolution with the Spider-Man films still being all the range and new Batman and Superman films coming out. The Spirit was just a film that looked like Sin City, but beared no discernible connection. Sam Jackson was the biggest star in it followed by Scarjo (who was nowhere near what she is now) Also had crappier marketing. I think this film released in it's place does better especially with the cast it sports.

I was interested in seeing this movie but I actually forgot it opened this weekend because I saw no ads for it whatsoever. I'm hearing not so great things about it so I'm not sure if I'll go see it next weekend or just wait for the DVD...that should be out fairly quickly due to it's poor opening numbers.

How did the effects look in the actual film?

I thought the clips I saw on TV looked really cheap and I didn't remember the first one looking cheap. Maybe I'm jaded now but I thought while the first was stylish and maybe a cartoony streak, it still looked good. What I saw of this looked like a bad commercial or music video.
    Make it blue

Original Join Date: Oct 2005

The first film was hyper-stylized but considered novel (not by me) at the time. This looked contrived, redundant and more of the same artificial digital mess.

Eva Green deserved better. In a perfect world she would've steered clear of tripe like this & the 300 sequel- her career would be better for it.