Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Elektra, #5

W. Haden Blackman and Michael Del Mundo's "Elektra" #5 closes up the first arc for the series and delivers easily its most impressive issue.

Full review here.

Well it's nice that she finally gives the book the score it deserves, I have to disagree with the first line of the review: "Elektra has failed more than it's succeeded since it's first issue..."!?! This book has been a joy to read from issue #1 onwards!

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    Well it's nice that she finally gives the book the score it deserves, I have to disagree with the first line of the review: "Elektra has failed more than it's succeeded since it's first issue..."!?! This book has been a joy to read from issue #1 onwards!
    Yeah this series has been good and i don't see how "the non-visual side of the series stumbled out of the gate". That seems way off.
    DIS GUY MUST BE A ALIEN OR SUTIN - gerybaboona

I'd be inclined to give every issue to date at least a 4-star review for the art alone. This shouldn't be news since basically everyone who's read the book has said it, but Del Mundo is ****ing killing it every month and #5 is no exception. Just look at the double-page splash after Bloody Lips 'tastes' Elektra, and he's stumbling close to the edge of the cliff...except we see the cliff as a congealed blob of all the horrible crap floating around in Elektra's skull. I especially love the weeping Daredevil with his chest emblem altered to read 'SADD'. It's lovely how the book just swims in and out of metaphor like that.

If I have a complaint, it's basically the same one I've had since the start - Blackman's grip on Elektra isn't as tight as I would like. There's plenty of references to her troubled history but it never quite hits home in the affecting way it's supposed to, and her dialogue lacks the kind of clear 'voice' that's benefitting other series like Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel and Storm. However, to Blackman's credit he's plotted out a good chase story over these issues, taken us to fun and rarely-seen locations and kept the pacing brisk.

Was gonna skip the series but I'm glad someone here changed my mind. In for the long haul now.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    I'd be inclined to give every issue to date at least a 4-star review for the art alone. This shouldn't be news since basically everyone who's read the book has said it, but Del Mundo is ****ing killing it every month and #5 is no exception. Just look at the double-page splash after Bloody Lips 'tastes' Elektra, and he's stumbling close to the edge of the cliff...except we see the cliff as a congealed blob of all the horrible crap floating around in Elektra's skull. I especially love the weeping Daredevil with his chest emblem altered to read 'SADD'. It's lovely how the book just swims in and out of metaphor like that.

If I have a complaint, it's basically the same one I've had since the start - Blackman's grip on Elektra isn't as tight as I would like. There's plenty of references to her troubled history but it never quite hits home in the affecting way it's supposed to, and her dialogue lacks the kind of clear 'voice' that's benefitting other series like Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel and Storm. However, to Blackman's credit he's plotted out a good chase story over these issues, taken us to fun and rarely-seen locations and kept the pacing brisk.

Was gonna skip the series but I'm glad someone here changed my mind. In for the long haul now.
    I've just re read the book and noticed that for the first time! I obviously need to pay more attention to Del Mundo's little details as another poster her pointed out how the snowflakes on the penultimate page change to targets as Elektra vows to kill anybody who comes after her. I have to slightly disagree with you with regards to Balckman finding Elektra's voice. I think he nails it with a cold aloofness that belies her inner turmoil. I remember being worried when Zeb Wells had to leave the book before the first issue because he was in my mind the ultimate modern Elektra writer but now I couldn't be happier with the creative team. I just wish more people were buying it.

I have to slightly disagree with you with regards to Balckman finding Elektra's voice. I think he nails it with a cold aloofness that belies her inner turmoil.
    The whole icy-calm attitude that's common to assassins in fiction, I find, is harder to pull off than it looks. Blackman's trying, that much is clear, but there's a point at which you strip so much expression from a character's thoughts and speech that it goes past practiced taciturn and ends up just being kinda boring. I had the same problem with the first few issues of Nathan Edmondson's Black Widow - haven't read the latter issues yet so maybe that's improved, I dunno.

To make this clear, I'm not asking for one-liners or Elektra exchanging quips like a bad '80s Stallone action flick or anything. That would be wildly OOC. But even without humour there's a world of euphemisms and shorthand and slang terms and other expressions that could/would make her feel more fleshed-out without sacrificing what works about her. She might be cold but she's not a robot. She's had a life, with all the love and pain and misery and delight that entails, and just because she's willingly suppressing a lot of it in her memory doesn't mean it hasn't affected her worldview.

All that said, it's pretty clear you care more about this character than I do, so if you're enjoying the series this much, Blackman's plainly doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    The whole icy-calm attitude that's common to assassins in fiction, I find, is harder to pull off than it looks. Blackman's trying, that much is clear, but there's a point at which you strip so much expression from a character's thoughts and speech that it goes past practiced taciturn and ends up just being kinda boring. I had the same problem with the first few issues of Nathan Edmondson's Black Widow - haven't read the latter issues yet so maybe that's improved, I dunno.

To make this clear, I'm not asking for one-liners or Elektra exchanging quips like a bad '80s Stallone action flick or anything. That would be wildly OOC. But even without humour there's a world of euphemisms and shorthand and slang terms and other expressions that could/would make her feel more fleshed-out without sacrificing what works about her. She might be cold but she's not a robot. She's had a life, with all the love and pain and misery and delight that entails, and just because she's willingly suppressing a lot of it in her memory doesn't mean it hasn't affected her worldview.

All that said, it's pretty clear you care more about this character than I do, so if you're enjoying the series this much, Blackman's plainly doing something right.
    Those are good points about her use of language, maybe some dark, sardonic humour could bring make her a bit more lively. Funny you should mention Black Widow because whilst I still collect that book I had the same reservations you have about the character being flat yet don't have that issue with Elektra. I must just be more forgiving of her"

I agree with the review that the writing started out as kinda boring with the first issues. If it hadn't been for the stellar art, I might've dropped the book after issue 2. The art is just too good though.

Also, I think the reason why Elektra has been selling pretty badly is the fact that Elektra as a character isn't that well-defined for the larger public. She's kinda obscure in some sense and she doesn't have the name recognition that most other characters with solo ongoings have.

I don't agree with everything about this review, but I feel like it's been rated appropriately.

@Akktim: I think you're right. Though one of Marvel's more recognizable females (imo), I feel the average reader or even non-reader wouldn't know much more than her role in Miller's DD series. I hope more people pick up the book, as I feel this character has more to offer than people assume.

I loved this issue and I think the book has been top not so far. Its good to see some of you guys appreciated Bloody Lips taste of Elektra's mind as much as I did, that splash was amazing. It's already been mention but the SADD Daredevil was just.....damn. I still cant believe this book comes out as often as it does, that must take some effort for Del Mundo to get it out regularly. Testament to his talent and workrate.

spoilers:
    Also, I hope that wasn't the last we see of Bloody Lips.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Shinglepants; 08-23-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Re the last part of your post, same here!

This series has been stellar right from the very first issue from both an artistic and written perspective.

And this fifth issue definitely did not disappoint.

Elektra is back and I for one couldn't be happier.
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

@shinglepants There is no way he is dead. No body, no death as far as I'm concerned.

I have to disagree with the first line of the review: "Elektra has failed more than it's succeeded since it's first issue..."!?! This book has been a joy to read from issue #1 onwards!
    In total agreement. It's been a great build-up to the confrontation between Elektra, Cape Crow, and Bloody Lips (whom we haven't seen the last of). This book is usually the first one I read when my comics get here...

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    In total agreement. It's been a great build-up to the confrontation between Elektra, Cape Crow, and Bloody Lips (whom we haven't seen the last of). This book is usually the first one I read when my comics get here...
    It's always top of my pile the week it comes out and my most anticipated book each month!