Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Guardians of the Galaxy" Set to Become Summer's Box Office Champion

The latest box office estimates put the Marvel Studios release in the top spot this weekend in North America -- and at the top of the heap for the summer.

Full article here.

Looking for The Massive afrocarter's Avatar

Awesome. Fuck Michael Bay and his shitty movies!!

...if you ignore everyone outside North America.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    LOL yeah Transformers already passed the one billion mark.
    DIS GUY MUST BE A ALIEN OR SUTIN - gerybaboona

Which we do.

(USA! USA! USA!)

I'm so glad this movie wasn't a bomb. It so easily could have been a stinker, but I loved it!

Extremely happy but extremely surprised. I was so worried about this movie before the trailers and I'm extremely happy to have been wrong.

It's nice it's the winner, but it did not have much competition even with Transformers. I hope this means Disney/Marvel films will take more risks movie-wise using more obscure characters. GotG did not work for me, but that's okay.
    Armed and cranky...

Until studios get as much from international markets (percentage-wise) as they do from the domestic market, it will continue to be easy to champion domestic box office sales.

Beyond that, GOTG still hasn't opened in a number of the larger international markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Until studios get as much from international markets (percentage-wise) as they do from the domestic market, it will continue to be easy to champion domestic box office sales.

Beyond that, GOTG still hasn't opened in a number of the larger international markets.
    Ok I'm going to remember this the next time a Marvel movie makes the bulk of its profits in the international market and this section of the site explodes with multiple threads of people drooling over how successful it is.

Transformers 4 has cleared 1 billions dollars but is trailing its previous installment by about 12%, and is well down on number 3's domestic gross.

I suspect filming in China helped push up the revenue.

Nevertheless its still less income, so maybe some people really DO need a movie to have decent story.

Meanwhile Gaurdians is the high risk venture of the decade for Marvel and after three weeks is already climbing towards the half billion mark
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Even factoring in that difference, Transformers has a sizable lead. The international markets are very important, understanding that is a big why Transformers has been so successful.

I liked Guardians of the Galaxy, but this article just seemed like advertising.

As a member of the audience why does it matter how much money a movie made? The only thing that matters is did YOU like the movie?

my lips own you all master of read's Avatar

put it like this: how many lines from GOTG can you quote?

now how many lines can you quote from bayformers?

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    As a member of the audience why does it matter how much money a movie made? The only thing that matters is did YOU like the movie?
    Yes and no. High sales help keep movies in theatres longer for either repeat or late first time viewings (a personal crisis delayed me from seeing Amazing Spider-Man 2 until after it left the theatres; had it been making enough money to stick around longer I'd have seen it in a theatre once I was able to do so). And while this isn't important for done-in-one movies like Philadelphia, for movies where a sequel makes sense, more money guarantees more sequels, plus a greater chance that greater risks will continue to be taken. Had Guardians bombed Marvel would probably have become more hesitant to gamble on non-Avengers movies or at least more oddball fare.

But agreed that money shouldn't affect enjoyment of the movie in of itself.