Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Fraction Sets the Stage for His "Hawkeye" Finale

CBR spoke with writer Matt Fraction about recent developments in his Eisner Award-winning "Hawkeye" series and what's in store for his last three issues.

Full article here.

Looking forward to reading the last extra sized issue in 2016

Is he done with Marvel?

Looking for The Massive afrocarter's Avatar

Hawkeye is ending? Bro, not cool, bro. Bro.

Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah View Post
    Is he done with Marvel?
    Don't know to be honest. Though I haven't heard anything about him having anything in the pipeline as far as working with them is concerned at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by afrocarter View Post
    Hawkeye is ending? Bro, not cool, bro. Bro.
    Eh, the writing's been on the wall forever for this. Since the whole Inhuman mess.

Looking for The Massive afrocarter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Eh, the writing's been on the wall forever for this. Since the whole Inhuman mess.
    I've significantly cut down on my Marvel reading. What is this Inhuman mess you speak of, and why did it kill Eisner-award-winning Hawkeye??

Quote Originally Posted by afrocarter View Post
    I've significantly cut down on my Marvel reading. What is this Inhuman mess you speak of, and why did it kill Eisner-award-winning Hawkeye??
    Fraction was set to write that ongoing until he and editorial couldn't get on same page regarding that. Result was he was pulled off/requested off it.

Fraction was set to write that ongoing until he and editorial couldn't get on same page regarding that. Result was he was pulled off/requested off it.
    Blessing in disguise that. Don't have any faith in Fraction and Soule's work on the book has been pretty good so far.

I doubt if that had much bearing on Hawkye ending. This was not a title that was going to continue indefinitely. Fraction's departure from Inhuman might've put a damper on jumping on to more Marvel work but I expect Hawkeye isn't suffering a premature demise. It's been brilliant, one of the great comic runs ever, but I think all involved know it's better to get off the stage at a peak moment rather than run things into the ground.

As for Inhuman, without knowing what Fraction had planned, all I can say is that Soule's been killing it on that book.

It's really a shame that nowadays great series get canceled just because the writer "gets bored" with the character/series. Is there no one else out there that could possibly step in and follow up this supposed god? I mean, c'mon. There are TONS of fantastic writers out there that would KILL to write this book, especially great writers who can't even break into the comic book industry because they don't know the right people or have the right connections. To just throw the whole thing away because Fraction wants to move on is utterly ridiculous. I wish I had his problems.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanscratches View Post
    It's really a shame that nowadays great series get canceled just because the writer "gets bored" with the character/series. Is there no one else out there that could possibly step in and follow up this supposed god? I mean, c'mon. There are TONS of fantastic writers out there that would KILL to write this book, especially great writers who can't even break into the comic book industry because they don't know the right people or have the right connections. To just throw the whole thing away because Fraction wants to move on is utterly ridiculous. I wish I had his problems.
    yeah I don't think that's what happened at all

Personally, I'm all for titles created around one authorial voice naturally coming to an end instead of persisting on with some struggle creative teams. That's how you end up with that wack Immortal Iron Fist stuff after Fraction and Aja left, or surely to be a boring attempt to copy the Ellis/Shavely/Bellaire aesthetic on Moon Knight with Brian Wood and Smallwood, or the decompressed, dull-as-dishwater stories that followed up Morrison's Batman and Robin or Whedon/Cassaday/Martin's Astonishing X-Men.

Hawkeye is gonna make a nice omnibus/complete collection one day. A complete story where the huge delays won't matter anymore, where it doesn't have to tie-in to any other events going on in the Marvel Universe, where readers can hop in on #1 with no prior knowledge and hop-off at #22 hopefully satisfied with a complete story and go about their day without wondering "so do I need to get Immortal Iron Fist vol 3 as well or"

Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah View Post
    Is he done with Marvel?
    Hawkeye is the only title that you’re writing for Marvel right now. Do you have any other projects with them planned post-Hawkeye?

I don’t.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/15...s-ody-c-more-/

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Personally, I'm all for titles created around one authorial voice naturally coming to an end instead of persisting on with some struggle creative teams. That's how you end up with that wack Immortal Iron Fist stuff after Fraction and Aja left, or surely to be a boring attempt to copy the Ellis/Shavely/Bellaire aesthetic on Moon Knight with Brian Wood and Smallwood, or the decompressed, dull-as-dishwater stories that followed up Morrison's Batman and Robin or Whedon/Cassaday/Martin's Astonishing X-Men.

Hawkeye is gonna make a nice omnibus/complete collection one day. A complete story where the huge delays won't matter anymore, where it doesn't have to tie-in to any other events going on in the Marvel Universe, where readers can hop in on #1 with no prior knowledge and hop-off at #22 hopefully satisfied with a complete story and go about their day without wondering "so do I need to get Immortal Iron Fist vol 3 as well or"
    Where's the upvote option?

So what creative team do you want on Hawkeye vol. 5?