Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Gimple Addresses "Walking Dead's" Daryl's Sexuality, Announces Upcoming Gay Character

"The Walking Dead" showrunner Scott Gimple discusses Daryl Dixon's sexuality, and confirms that a gay male character will be introduced this season.

Full article here.

Hmm. Now this is an interesting development.
    Haunting the vast wasteland.

So is Daryl gay or not?

Honestly who cares? I know I don't. If he is or is not: whatever. I kind of find it odd that this subject is being pushed as some sort of big deal in this day and age.
    Last edited by vonfaustus; 08-27-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vonfaustus View Post
    Honestly who cares? I know I don't. If he or is not: whatever. I kind of find it odd that this subject is being pushed as some sort of big deal in this day and age.
    A lot of people have wondered why Darryl hasn't made a move on Carol. And you have to remember even though this is a show about zombies, there's always that portion of the audience invested in who's having sex with who.

I read somebody's epic comeback about Dixon being gay and ruining the character solely because he was gay. It entailed him not only being gay, but having jungle fever, too, and outlined that is why his brother hated black people. It really cheesed the other guy off.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I'm with the other poster who says it's not something that should be a big deal over

Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    A lot of people have wondered why Darryl hasn't made a move on Carol. And you have to remember even though this is a show about zombies, there's always that portion of the audience invested in who's having sex with who.
    Oh well, if he isn't banging Carol then he must be gay. I know you are just relaying how different people have different interests in the show.

But The Walking Dead was never about who hooks up with who (though thank goodness, Andrea did not hook up with Dale). Carol came from an abusive relationship in season 1 and then in season two went through the hell that that was.

Daryl is a bit closed off from the rest and Carol was reveling in the realization of her own power and independence. THey were friends no doubt, but it's a very adult thing to be friends with someone and not obsessed with banging them.

I agree that this shouldn't be a big deal. This kind of feels like pandering to try and get some easy free press for the upcoming season. It reminds of of back in 2012 we didn't get to find out North Star was getting married or Alan Scott was gay from reading the actual comics and instead found out from the media because both events were used to get attention.

The only way I can see the writers keeping his sexually a secret being legit reason is because he was actually born a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchesMalone View Post
    Oh well, if he isn't banging Carol then he must be gay. I know you are just relaying how different people have different interests in the show.
    This. Not every guy feels the need to try and have sex with every girl he is close too lol.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

If i ran a show i would make the popular character gay just to piss some people off.
    But i would also do bullshit like this to get people talking, i would be a horrible carny as a show runner.

i don' see a problem here.

also, just because something shouldn't be a big deal, it doesn't mean it isn't. we're not living in an alt reality where bigotry and biases are non-existent

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    If i ran a show i would make the popular character gay just to piss some people off.
    But i would also do bullshit like this to get people talking, i would be a horrible carny as a show runner.
    You sound like the guy I was referencing that said not only should he be gay, but have jungle fever, and that's why Merle is so racist.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Whatever Darl's Sexuality is, he'll still be a badass, and isn't that all that matters? It certainty wouldn't ruin the character, as the it only would would develop him further. Plus, it makes sense too: ever since since season 2 fans have wondered if he would make a move towards Carol or Beth, which he hasn't at all.
    I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers... I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And we have, man, we have, all of us. Homes, and our families, normal lives. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it's giving us something. It is giving us a chance.

On the flip side, almost every one else's heterosexuality ends up being a big deal for them on this show: Rick losing Lori, Glen and Maggie's tearful reunion, Tyrese trying to find Karen's killer, etc. So with that said, their heterosexual relationships tend to make for some of the more significant arcs on the show. We care about their straightness because it produces significant relationships on the show, much of which keeps the viewer watching.

The thing that matters about Daryl, hetero or homo, is if he finds someone that he's romantically attached to, he's going to fight tooth and nail for that person, more so than most of the other couples on the show. That's what matters. However, we see it purely from the hetero side, not from the other side, and that itself is a big deal. Sexuality isn't something to be taken for granted, frankly; and saying it doesn't matter is akin to erasing it by ignoring it. After all, to the other couples on the show, their heterosexuality *is* a big deal, otherwise those relationships wouldn't be formed in the first place. They don't hide it -- they hold hands, share intimacy in the open, have eggs in the morning. It only seems like it's not a big deal because we're so used to seeing it as normal, as a fact of life and survival. And that's perfectly fine because they're humans that need each other to keep hope and sanity alive.

Anyway, we still have Tara, and hopefully she'll get a bigger role now that the character's been promoted.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-28-2014 at 08:59 PM.

It shouldn't be a deal but it's still kinda cool that they're even entertaining the idea that he might not be straight. Like it isn't a natural assumption.